Feb 24, 2012, 11:15 PM EDT
In front of a sellout crowd at Compton Family Ice Arena, Notre Dame got an important 2-0 victory over Michigan State in its second-to-last game of the regular season.
After a scoreless first period, sophomore Jeff Costello netted his fourth goal of the season, giving the Fighting Irish a 1-0 lead, 2:31 into the second frame. Sophomore Shayne Taker and freshman Austin Wuthrich were credited with assists on the power play score.
Just before the midpoint of the final period, freshman Peter Schneider scored his first goal of the season, on an assist from junior Kevin Nugent. The insurance goal gave Notre Dame a 2-0 advantage, and sealed the team’s first win since Feb 3. (The Irish had lost five straight since defeating Bowling Green, 2-1, three weeks ago.)
Sophomore Steven Summerhays stopped 25 shots, becoming the first Notre Dame goalie to record a shutout since Dec. 13, 2009, when Mike Johnson registered 38 saves against Michigan.
Kickoff in Dublin is months away, but for the second time in three days, several members of the Notre Dame football team were making headlines. On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Golic, Grieco and Mulvey, along with a few other football players, were into the game from the opening faceoff, even bringing along some homemade signs to show their support for the Irish icers.
A big win for Irish hockey, a great night at Compton, and an awesome reminder of what makes Notre Dame a special university.
The Fighting Irish will be back tomorrow night against the Spartans at 7:35 pm ET for the regular season finale. Catch the game on Comcast Channel 3, as Notre Dame looks to clinch home ice for the first round of the CCHA playoffs.
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
- M. Basketball. ACC Announces Conference Opponents For 2014-15 And 2015-16 Campaigns
- Baseball. No. 11 Hurricanes Score Four In Eighth To Rally Past Irish, 6-3
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- .@NDBaseball Returns With Wednesday Matchup vs C.Michigan bit.ly/1foUtIF Near Kalamazoo? See you at Stryker Field, 7:05 pm #GoIrish 22 minutes ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Guess what day it is!! Come out to Alumni at 6pm to support the Irish against Haiti! #GameDay #GoIrish http://t.co/iPgfN5vjGO 50 minutes ago
- It was tied up at Melissa Cook yesterday until @NDSoftball's Jenna Simon stepped up to the mound in the 7th inning- bit.ly/1rjHYp4 1 hour ago
- .@NDTix for tonight's 6pm ET @NDSoccer friendly vs Haiti can be reserved here- bit.ly/NDSocVHaiti #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- Tonight @NDSoccer plays Haiti at Alumni Stadium! Hear what player Sammy Scofield to say about tonight's game- bit.ly/1jv6WvJ 2 hours ago