Mar 23, 2012, 10:45 PM EDT
What a game.
After a two-hour and one-minute rain delay at Frank Eck Stadium, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh took to the diamond for the BIG EAST opener, and it’s safe to say, for a few dozen faithful fans, this one was worth sticking around for.
Irish starter Will Hudgins notched a career-high 12 strikeouts over 7.1 innings pitched, but it was rightfielder Ryan Bull who brought the late-inning drama. Leading off the bottom of the ninth, the freshman sent a Tanner Wilt pitch sailing over the right field fence to lift the Irish to a 6-5 victory over the Panthers.
It’s baseball season, but basketball is still on the brain. Fortunately for us in the press box, we were able to catch some of tonight’s hoops action, thanks to ‘March Madness Live.’
Of course, we didn’t know the Irish could provide an even more thrilling finish than the close one between Ohio and North Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen.
This game was awfully reminiscent of a trip my family and I made to Fenway Park this past summer. Red Sox nation sat through a two-hour rain delay, but at the end of the night, not a single Sox fan left unhappy, as centerfielder Jacoby Ellsbury won the game on a walk-off single.
What Frank Eck Stadium lacked in the attendance and national attention of The Fens, it equaled in excitement.
The highlights won’t be on television, but Notre Dame’s rain delay did cause a bit of a stir locally, keeping the start of the basketball game between Indiana and Kentucky off-the-air for much of the first half in the Michiana area.
In fact, radio announcer Chuck Freeby came into the press box before the Irish half of the ninth inning and said something along the lines of, “There won’t be a postgame show, even when Bull hits a walk-off here.”
Fortunately for IU fans (and the devoted Irish fans who stuck around), Freeby was dead-on about how the game would end. Bull came through, and crushed Wilt’s second pitch of the inning over the “330″ sign in right field.
In my time covering football, whether at Notre Dame or elsewhere, the media is often reminded, ‘No cheering in the press box.’
Well if that etiquette exists in college baseball, it went out the window tonight. Take a look below.
With the constant threat of lightning, UND.com was unable to stream the game, and unfortunately, that flip cam shot may be the only video highlight we have from tonight.
Notre Dame and Pittsburgh return to the diamond tomorrow at 2:05 pm and Sunday at 1:05 pm. As always, listen live, and weather permitting, watch the broadcast right here on UND.com.
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Track. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish Legends - Lou Holtz and Mark May
Length: 4:25 | June 13, 2013
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Summer Trip to Europe 2013 - Notre Dame Volleyball
Length: 3:01 | June 10, 2013
Eric Jagielo - 26th pick, MLB Draft to NY Yankees
Length: 0:44 | June 7, 2013
- RT @NDsidSean: Matt Besler starting 4th straight World Cup Qualifier for USA.. #USMNT vs. Honduras currently on ESPN @NDMenSoccer 9 hours ago
- RT @byrneirish: The beauty of the iconic Golden Dome in all it's glory during @NDlacrosse summer camp http://t.co/WthxCqbA32 10 hours ago
- Our final @NDmensTennis moment is the informal introduction of new HC Ryan Sachire (at least on @Spotify) spoti.fi/18XjkEX #NDFamily 10 hours ago
- .@NDmensTennis HC Bobby Bayliss and @NDFIDM, Part 4- Memories bit.ly/19OilX7 #NDFamily 11 hours ago
- .@NDmensTennis HC Bobby Bayliss and @NDFIDM, Part 3- Playing Days bit.ly/11JFK2U #NDFamily 11 hours ago