Apr 2, 2012, 12:29 AM EDT
It wasn’t always a pretty game. The Irish shot 40.3% from the field (Seven points below their season average). The teams combined for 37 turnovers, which at times, felt more like 67.
But style points mean nothing at this point in the season.
With a thrilling 83-75 overtime victory against Connecticut, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team is one win away from it second national championship, and it’s due in large part to hustle and heart.
A late rebound and putback from Natalie Novosel, a block from Skylar Diggins (yes, a block from the 5’9″ Irish point guard) and a pair of key three-pointers in overtime from Brittany Mallory have head coach Muffet McGraw’s team right where they wanted (and expected) to be on April 2, 2012 – in position to play for a title.
Watching tonight’s game, reading fans’ tweets and friends’ Facebook statuses, and now, checking out ‘One Shining Moment’ montages on YouTube as I write this, reminds me there’s nothing quite like college basketball.
The emotion and excitement of March Madness is unparalleled. The refuse-to-lose mentality of Diggins, the leadership of Novosel, the clutch shooting of Mallory, and the character of this Fighting Irish team make us proud to say we’re all a part of the same Notre Dame family.
March demonstrates how our connection to one another and to Notre Dame is strengthened through sports. At the arena, in a sports bar, or watching from our couch, we develop an emotional attachment to the teams and the games. Alum, student or fan, we feel as though we’ve been along for the journey.
In this year’s tournaments, we have seen both the highest of highs – the triumph of victory (tonight) – and the lowest of lows – the heartbreak of defeat (the men’s game vs. Xavier). As the teams fight back tears, we share their sorrow. And as the teams celebrate, we experience the same pure, unadulterated joy.
Tonight was a memorable night for the Fighting Irish, the fans in Denver, and those watching, blogging, tweeting and Facebooking across the world.
There is, however, still work to be done. Notre Dame will return to the court on Tuesday night at 8:30 pm ET when it takes on 39-0 Baylor in the national championship game.
Get some rest over the next 40 hours or so, and clear your schedule for Tuesday night. The table is set for an historic evening in the Rocky Mountains.
Five down, one to go…
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
- M. Basketball. ACC Announces Conference Opponents For 2014-15 And 2015-16 Campaigns
- Baseball. No. 11 Hurricanes Score Four In Eighth To Rally Past Irish, 6-3
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- .@NDBaseball Returns With Wednesday Matchup vs C.Michigan bit.ly/1foUtIF Near Kalamazoo? See you at Stryker Field, 7:05 pm #GoIrish 22 minutes ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Guess what day it is!! Come out to Alumni at 6pm to support the Irish against Haiti! #GameDay #GoIrish http://t.co/iPgfN5vjGO 49 minutes ago
- It was tied up at Melissa Cook yesterday until @NDSoftball's Jenna Simon stepped up to the mound in the 7th inning- bit.ly/1rjHYp4 1 hour ago
- .@NDTix for tonight's 6pm ET @NDSoccer friendly vs Haiti can be reserved here- bit.ly/NDSocVHaiti #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- Tonight @NDSoccer plays Haiti at Alumni Stadium! Hear what player Sammy Scofield to say about tonight's game- bit.ly/1jv6WvJ 2 hours ago