Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- M. Tennis. Irish Land Top Recruits During Early Signing Period
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Irish Off To The Lone Star State For NCAA Championship Second Round
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Team To Support Diabetes Awareness During November 23 Game
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 71, #15/17 Michigan State 63
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Coppin State Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Cruises Past Coppin State, 104-67
- M. Basketball. Irish Cruise Past Coppin State, 104-67
- W. Basketball. Loyd's 28 Points Lift No. 3 Notre Dame Past No. 15 Michigan State
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Hosts 2014 Fall Letter Jacket Ceremony
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.