Apr 14, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It was all Orange this afternoon at Melissa Cook Stadium. And that’s not to say Syracuse got a big victory. In fact, it was Notre Dame that emerged with a 4-3 win in the first game of a BIG EAST conference doubleheader.
Orange was the color of the afternoon because Syracuse was decked out in it from head to toe, but also because the Fighting Irish uniforms were accented with orange for leukemia awareness.
Notre Dame held its second annual Strike Out Cancer event to help raise money for the South Bend Memorial Hospital Pediatric Hematology / Oncology Program.
Pediatric leukemia is a disease that has closely affected Irish softball, as head coach Deanna Gumpf’s daughter, Tatum, was diagnosed in 2010. Now six years old, Tatum is on her way to a full recovery.
Among the activities at this afternoon’s event were balloon animals, facepainting, and a silent auction.
Some of the items being auctioned off include two pre-game sideline passes and game tickets for Notre Dame football game against Michigan, replica commemorative Strike Out Cancer jerseys and game-worn commemorative helmets and gloves.
After trailing for much of the game, the Fighting Irish tied the score in the bottom of the sixth on a solo home run from Katey Haus, before walking off with a win in the seventh when Kelsey Thornton scored from third on a wild pitch.
Notre Dame and Syracuse return to the field in a few minutes for the second game of the afternoon.
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
- M. Golf. Sciupider Tied For Lead, Irish Slip To Fifth On Day Two Of The Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- General News. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Soccer. #2 Notre Dame Set For First Encounter With VCU
- W. Tennis. Women's ITA All-American Championships Update
- M. Golf. Notre Dame Owns One-Shot Lead After First Round Of Fighting Irish Gridiron Golf Classic
- Football. Brian Kelly Syracuse Review Teleconference Transcript
- M. Tennis. Fighting Irish Wrap Up Play At Two Tournaments
- W. Tennis. Irish Women's Tennis Closes Out Notre Dame Invitational
- W. Soccer. #20/16 Irish Score Early, Hold Off Wake Forest 1-0 In ACC Tilt
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #ComeByAlumni tonight at 7:30 pm ET to cheer on @NDmenSoccer vs VCU. @NDTix- ntrda.me/1pDI8V2 #GoIrish #NDvsVCU 28 minutes ago
- .@NDmenSoccer boys are at it again with their unique promo video stylings- ntrda.me/1uyxaYG #ComeByAlumni #NDvsVCU 43 minutes ago
- RT @NCAA: The first men's #NCAASoccer RPI of the season is out and the @FightingIrish are No. 1: on.ncaa.com/1mL0jgt http://t.co/q7JQc2V… 1 hour ago
- You've seen The FIX! now submit your vote for this week's Student Athlete of the Week! Who gets your vote? ntrda.me/NDsocialpoll #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- It's The FIX! with Hannah Bowen- ntrda.me/YGw9QD Catch up with all of the weekend's Irish action #GoIrish ow.ly/i/73y3o 1 hour ago