May 22, 2012, 3:49 PM EDT
The alumni “club” that is… Congratulations goes out to Notre Dame softball seniors (from left) Alexa Maldonado, Kasey O’Connor, Kristina Wright and Dani Miller, who graduated this morning in a ceremony at Club Naimoli in the Purcell Pavilion.
The four newest graduates in the class of 2012 missed Sunday’s commencement ceremonies while their team was playing in the NCAA tournament regional in Tucson, Ariz.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Much like the men’s lacrosse ceremony I was able to attend on Saturday afternoon, this was a nice gesture recognizing all that the graduating student-athletes accomplished academically and athletically during their time at Notre Dame. While it was unfortunate that they did not get to participate in Sunday’s events, being away from campus meant two things – their teams were still playing and their college athletic careers were still alive.
I’m sure if you asked the twelve lacrosse and four softball student-athletes, a small graduation with the people closest to them – teammates, parents and coaches – was just as meaningful as the one they missed out in Notre Dame Stadium.
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
- W. Rowing. Top 10 For Irish Championship Four Highlights Head Of The Charles Results
- W. Volleyball. Irish Rally From Down 2-0; Best BC In Five-Set Thriller
- Football. Brian Kelly Florida State Review Teleconference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Florida State - Postgame Notes
- Football. No. 5 Irish Fall to No. 2 Florida State, 31-27
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hand Lake Superior State A 5-1 Loss To Sweep Weekend Series
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @ACCWSoccer: Congrats to @NDSoccer alum Elizabeth Tucker on being named the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year! #NCAAWOTY 11 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Huge congrats to @NDSoccer's Elizabeth Tucker on winning the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year Award! #NCAAWOTY #NDFamily 11 hours ago
- RT @NCAA: Congratulations to 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year Elizabeth Tucker of Notre Dame @FightingIrish soccer! #NCAAWOTY http://t.co/MUbtw1… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDgreathouse: Couldn't be more proud of Liz Tucker winning NCAA Woman of the Year! Excited to see others recognize her amazing accompli… 11 hours ago
- RT @CoachWaldrum: Huge shout out to Liz Tucker being named ND 1st ever to win the NCAA Woman of the year award! #proudcoach 11 hours ago