Jul 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
The second Google+ Hangout participant that we would like to introduce you to is Ryan Ritter, aka “NDTex” (@HLS_NDtex), a 2007 Notre Dame graduate with a B.S. in Computer Engineering. During the 2011 season, he joined the team at HerLoyalSons.com and is now co-editor on the site, alongside the mysterious co-founder of HLS, The Biscuit.
What is your connection to Notre Dame? (If you are an alum, what dorm did you live in?)
I am a 2007 alum and made my home in Sorin College during my time under the Dome. As a student, I also worked as a student manager for football during Charlie Weis’ first season in 2005, before moving on as the head manager of men’s and women’s golf.
What got you blogging about Notre Dame?
During my senior year, I missed the daily heavy dose of football in my life and discussions amongst the managers. So, to fill that hole, I took to blogging on occasion, writing about Irish football as well as other sports that had my interest. I eventually launched my own site, NDtex.com, in 2007 to continue this little hobby, but in 2011, I decided to make my site ND Football centric. In the middle of the season, I was asked to join the team at Her Loyal Sons and happily accepted.
When did your blog first launch?
HLS launched in the spring of 2006. It was founded by Matt Quirion (aka domer_mq, now in blogging retirement) and The Biscuit.
Tell us about your blog. Why should Irish fans want to read it?
HLS has something for every Irish fan. Whether it’s opinion pieces, statistical analysis, film breakdown, news, or discussion, we have it. We are also fortunate enough to have an anonymous student reporter, Grantland-X, as our eyes and ears under the Dome to provide the student perspective. Even University founder, Fr. Edward Sorin, contributes weekly, giving his rather…unique…outlook on the Irish. Our Friday Roundup also goes beyond the bubble of Notre Dame to catch everyone up on the latest news from the college football world as well.
Combine all that with a nice helping of snark from our staff and you have quite a unique take on all things Notre Dame. We also often disagree with either other leading to some rather interesting debates amongst ourselves that our readers enjoy participating in.
Finally, we are about to have a huge redesign of our site dubbed “HLS 3.0″ on August 13th. Not only will the look of our site change, but we will be adding in even more content for Irish fans to consume.
What is your favorite thing about game day at Notre Dame?
The pure anticipation of kickoff. I’ve been fortunate to go to games in both the Big XII and SEC and, while the atmosphere and fans are amazing, it just doesn’t compare to the feeling I get when I visit the House Rock Built. The excitement builds from the moment I start tailgating with friends and reaches a fever pitch as I scream “GO IRISH” on kickoff.
A Coversation With Jack Swarbrick: Tuesday, July 31. 7:30 pm ET. Notre Dame Athletics Google+.
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Love trivia? Want to raise money to fight Leukemia? @NDSoftball's Trivia Night on Friday is for you. To claim a table email email@example.com. 37 minutes ago
- Get ready to cry. @NDFIDM interviewed @NDwbb's Senior parents & they shared their memories and what ND means to them bit.ly/1lFVch1 1 hour ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Great to see the Notre Dame Club of Kalamazoo out to the ballpark tonight ... Thanks for the support! http://t.co/xnCRs3yUzS 1 hour ago
- Let's go @NDSoccer! #GameOn #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- Lineups for tonight's @NDSoccer game vs Haiti have just been completed #GoIrish http://t.co/DLYU7TtAwa 2 hours ago