Jul 24, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
The second Google+ Hangout participant that we would like to introduce you to is Ryan Ritter, aka “NDTex” (@HLS_NDtex), a 2007 Notre Dame graduate with a B.S. in Computer Engineering. During the 2011 season, he joined the team at HerLoyalSons.com and is now co-editor on the site, alongside the mysterious co-founder of HLS, The Biscuit.
What is your connection to Notre Dame? (If you are an alum, what dorm did you live in?)
I am a 2007 alum and made my home in Sorin College during my time under the Dome. As a student, I also worked as a student manager for football during Charlie Weis’ first season in 2005, before moving on as the head manager of men’s and women’s golf.
What got you blogging about Notre Dame?
During my senior year, I missed the daily heavy dose of football in my life and discussions amongst the managers. So, to fill that hole, I took to blogging on occasion, writing about Irish football as well as other sports that had my interest. I eventually launched my own site, NDtex.com, in 2007 to continue this little hobby, but in 2011, I decided to make my site ND Football centric. In the middle of the season, I was asked to join the team at Her Loyal Sons and happily accepted.
When did your blog first launch?
HLS launched in the spring of 2006. It was founded by Matt Quirion (aka domer_mq, now in blogging retirement) and The Biscuit.
Tell us about your blog. Why should Irish fans want to read it?
HLS has something for every Irish fan. Whether it’s opinion pieces, statistical analysis, film breakdown, news, or discussion, we have it. We are also fortunate enough to have an anonymous student reporter, Grantland-X, as our eyes and ears under the Dome to provide the student perspective. Even University founder, Fr. Edward Sorin, contributes weekly, giving his rather…unique…outlook on the Irish. Our Friday Roundup also goes beyond the bubble of Notre Dame to catch everyone up on the latest news from the college football world as well.
Combine all that with a nice helping of snark from our staff and you have quite a unique take on all things Notre Dame. We also often disagree with either other leading to some rather interesting debates amongst ourselves that our readers enjoy participating in.
Finally, we are about to have a huge redesign of our site dubbed “HLS 3.0″ on August 13th. Not only will the look of our site change, but we will be adding in even more content for Irish fans to consume.
What is your favorite thing about game day at Notre Dame?
The pure anticipation of kickoff. I’ve been fortunate to go to games in both the Big XII and SEC and, while the atmosphere and fans are amazing, it just doesn’t compare to the feeling I get when I visit the House Rock Built. The excitement builds from the moment I start tailgating with friends and reaches a fever pitch as I scream “GO IRISH” on kickoff.
A Coversation With Jack Swarbrick: Tuesday, July 31. 7:30 pm ET. Notre Dame Athletics Google+.
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Celebrating Ara Parseghian's 90th Birthday
Length: 6:59 | May 17, 2013
Michael Moore, BIG EAST Scholarship - Notre Dame Men's Tennis
Length: 1:30 | May 17, 2013
Preparing for the Big East Championship - Rowing
Length: 2:24 | May 17, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- RT @NDsoftball: Final: Marshall 3 Notre Dame 1; Irish finish season 43-15 #ndsb 10 hours ago
- New In The Crease blog- @NDLacrosse Invades Indy- NCAA Quarterfinals, Day 2 bit.ly/YR5BJc #GoIrish 11 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDbaseball on their final game with Cincinnati on @cbssports! #GoIrish 12 hours ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: New blog- ND Men’s Lacrosse Invades Indy- NCAA Quarterfinals, Day 2 bit.ly/YR5BJc #GoIrish 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: IRISH Starters: Koerner CF, Thornton RF, Buntin C, Winter P, Haus 3B, Stuhr LF, Saganowich SS, Bowe DP, Simon 2B and Arizme… 12 hours ago