Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Claims First ACC Championship Victory Over Boston College
- Softball. #21 Irish Outlast Valparaiso 7-2 In Midweek Tilt
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Play No. 1 Syracuse Tough But Fall in ACC Quarters
- Baseball. Notre Dame Welcomes Northeastern To the U.S. Steel Yard This Weekend
- M. Lacrosse. #9 Irish To Meet #5 Maryland Friday In ACC Semifinals
- M. Golf. Irish Ready For First ACC Championship
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDsoftball: FINAL: #21 Notre Dame 7 Valparaiso 2 #ndsb 8 hours ago
- Friday Trivia Night kicks off @NDSoftball's Strike Out Cancer Weekend. Not in the area, but want to help? Donate bit.ly/Ptyk53 9 hours ago
- Looking for the play by play from @NDsoftball vs Valpo? Make sure you are following them on Twitter #GameInProgress 9 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Notre Dame vs. Valparaiso starts now! Go Irish, Beat Crusaders! Here's the lineup: http://t.co/evPKEcXahe 9 hours ago
- Game time for @NDSoftball! Head on down to Melissa Cook OR tune in on @WatchND- bit.ly/1nIwWrg #GoIrish 10 hours ago