Jul 27, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally. Before you tune into NBC tonight at 7:30 pm ET, here are a few articles you should read:
- Mariel Zagunis doesn’t have the single-name fame of LeBron or Serena, but the announcement proves she is as respected as her superstar American teammates, writes Chad Finn for the Boston.com Olympics blog.
- Janie McCauley of The Associated Press caught up with Mariel’s mother, Cathy Zagunis, who quickly changed her flight to make sure she arrives in time for her daughter’s special moment.
- In 2012, the 40th anniversary of Title IX, it seems fitting that a woman leads Team U.S.A. into the Games, says Bonnie D. Ford for ESPNW.
- Sarika Dani and Ian Sager from NBC’s Today Show talked to Zagunis about gardening, one of her hobbies away from her sport. (Their blog post also includes a fun video of Zagunis teaching Al Roker about fencing).
- UND.com has more on Zagunis, as well as everything you need to know about the rest of the Irish in the 2012 Olympics.
- And lastly, check out this quick video from NBC Nightly News.
Watch the Opening Ceremony tonight at 7:30 pm ET on NBC. Go Team U.S.A., Go Irish, and Go Mariel Zagunis.
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Take On #14/17 North Carolina State Saturday In ACC Semifinals
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Drops Match To No. 15 Clemson
- W. Lacrosse. Fast, Aggressive and Passionate Women's Lacrosse Rolls On
- M. Lacrosse. Irish And Pioneers Take Rivalry To The Pacific
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Top Florida State, 83-57, In ACC Quarterfinals
- General News. Three Irish Student-Athletes Named Recipients Of 2014 ACC Postgraduate Scholarship
- Fencing. Irish Head Up To Motor City For All-Day Qualifier
- M. Basketball. Mike Brey To Be Honored At Ninth Annual Dick Vitale Gala
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Begin ACC Chapter At Georgia Tech
- Baseball. Rain Postpones Friday Baseball Action
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NotreDameRowing: Clearly first few hours on the bus to @cityofoakridge. Will b excited when get to first stop & there is no snow!!! ht… 27 minutes ago
- RT @NDFencing: Senior Sabre fencer Kevin Hassett warming up before regionals #GoIrish http://t.co/7KVD3toeWc 34 minutes ago
- Highlights from yesterday's @NDwbb ACC Quarterfinal win over Florida St- bit.ly/1fMGD7J Next up- NC State at 5 pm ET on ESPNU. 51 minutes ago
- Last but not least, @NDFIDM is presenting "Notre Dame and @Spotify: Our Playlist, Our Story" at @SXSW in Austin, TX, at 3:30 pm CT #NDFamily 57 minutes ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt5 - @NDHockey vs Boston University, 1st round of @Hockey_East Playoffs, 7:05pm ET on @WatchND- bit.ly/1cJmvxq 1 hour ago