Aug 29, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
Entering Compton Family Ice Arena for the first time, Brett Lebda (’04) must have felt there was a lot more than just a parking lot separating him from his home as an Irish player.
“It’s pretty impressive,” the current Columbus Blue Jacket defenseman said. “Walking in here kind of makes you upset that you didn’t get to play in it, but at the same time it’s pretty amazing. They did a top-notch job.”
This week, Lebda is one of 15 former Notre Dame hockey players participating in a pro camp at the Compton. And like Lebda, many of them are skating in the new arena for the first time after playing their Irish home games at the Joyce Center.
With practices open to the public, the first-ever Notre Dame Pro Hockey Camp began on Monday and will end Thursday. Players have the opportunity to prepare for the season with some former teammates – and some current opponents.
“There’s a little ribbing here and there, but it’s all in good fun,” Lebda laughed. “We’re here for a reason too – to get ready for the season. You’ve got to give it to guys once in a while though.”
With 13 professional hockey players participating – in addition to ’12 graduates Patrick Gaul and Rich Ryan – the camp has highlighted the growth in number of Irish alumni who have moved on to the next level.
“As a college guy, you go into pro hockey, and it’s kind of college hockey vs. major junior,” said Christian Hanson (’09), who is in the Bruins’ organization. “Now you’re starting to see more and more guys coming out with a Notre Dame background, so it’s nice to be able to say, ‘We got a couple Notre Dame guys out there tonight.’ And I think it’s going to get even better as the years progress.”
With four NCAA berths and two conference championships in the last six years, Irish hockey has certainly come a long way in head coach Jeff Jackson’s tenure. Prior to handing the reins over to Jackson in 2005, Notre Dame had only made the NCAA tournament once – Brett Lebda’s senior year.
“We slid in there at the #16 slot,” he said. “To be a part of something for the first time, you hope that helped put the program in the right direction. I think that’s something that we always hold special to our hearts.”
- Track. 14 Fighting Irish Move On To The NCAA National Championship
- Baseball. Bull's Walk-off Single Sends Irish Past Pittsburgh, Into BIG EAST Title Game
- Track. Notre Dame Qualifies Five Student-Athletes for the NCAA National Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Sullivan Earns First Team WomensLax.com All-America Honors
- W. Lacrosse. Granger, Hilling Tabbed For IWLCA/Under Armour North-South All-Star Game
- W. Basketball. Pair Of Irish Alums On 2013 WNBA Opening Day Rosters
- Track. Jeremy Rae Wins 1,500m Prelims On Day One Of The NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Greg Andrews Eliminated From Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Irish Move Into BIG EAST Tournament Semifinals Following 5-3 Victory Over Pittsburgh
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Miller To Play In Friday's 72nd Annual North-South Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish defeat Pitt 3-2 - BIG EAST Semifinals
Length: 2:33 | May 25, 2013
Baseball vs Pitt BIG EAST Semifinal Preview
Length: 2:08 | May 24, 2013
Irish defeat Pitt 5-3 - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 2:27 | May 23, 2013
Eric Jagielo and Blaise Lezynski Interview - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 3:18 | May 22, 2013
- RT @NDXCTF: 1,500m: Curran (4:16.09-third), Tracy (4:18.02-10th) into the NCAA Championships! 4 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: Jeremy Rae (3:39.92) wins the 1,500m, off to Eugene, Ore. 4 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: 100mH: Jade Baber (13.00-third) earns a bid to the NCAA Championship. 4 hours ago
- .@NDFIDM talks to @NDBaseball's HC @MikAoki9 about their 3-2 win over Pitt bit.ly/13SIikg #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- .@NDBaseball's Bull's Walk-off Single Sends Irish Past Pitt, Into @BigEastChamps bit.ly/13U2Sx8 Title game is Sunday noon vs UConn 7 hours ago