Aug 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Men’s tennis head coach Bobby Bayliss makes his first appearance on the UNDerground blog, as he and his team prepare for their trip to Dublin, where they will take on the Irish Davis Cup team this weekend.
Wednesday morning and we are ready to take off for Dublin. What a wonderful opportunity for our guys! Carrying everyone’s passports, football tickets, etc. I have never felt so important. This trip has just begun, but is already a blur. Very little sleep last night going over the last second details. We are meeting last year’s captain, Niall Fitzgerald, as he is accompanying us and will actually play for the Irish Davis Cup team on Friday. This was more difficult than I had imagined because Niall is now the graduate assistant coach at Tulane and – after some deliberation – he took a 27 hour bus trip to O’Hare, as all flights and trains from New Orleans are shut down due to Hurricane Isaac. Go figure!
This whole trip came about as a result of a conversation I had in Dublin last summer when I was there recruiting/evaluating the players at the Irish Junior Championships. Jimmy McDonough, the director of tennis and I figured it out and a quick conversation with Garry Cahill, Irish Davis Cup captain, cemented the idea. The last year has seen it come to fruition with lots of assistance from many people – Beth Hunter of the Monogram Club [football tickets], John Anthony and his staff [travel], and Jill Bodensteiner [NCAA Compliance and general advisor]. It has been rewarding to work with former players Barry King and Niall to make everything become a reality.
So now it’s off to Dublin. Our bus has arrived and as I run out the door, I am trying to think of what I have forgotten to do, but most of all I am very excited for our players and this wonderful experience they are going to have. It is frequently said that Notre Dame is a place where dreams come true and our trip is just one more example of that adage. Off we go to the land of smiles, freckles, and occasional showers!
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Knocks Off No. 6 Jared Hiltzik Sunday In Illinois
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Draws At #5 Virginia, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- Compton Family Ice Arena. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Lessons From The North Carolina Match
- W. Volleyball. No. 11 Purdue Takes Down Notre Dame, 3-0
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Continues Play At Fighting Illini Invitational And Farnsworth Ivy Invitational
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Drop 2OT Heartbreaker To #9/8 North Carolina, 3-2
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Blackhawk's Stephen Johns Feeling Right At Home At Notre Dame
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMensGolf: The team sits in 6th place two rounds through the Windon Memorial. Matt Rushton is T-5 individually after a 67 in the after… 6 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: FINAL/2OT: ND 1, UVA 1; Hodan goal (PK); Shots 16-11 ND; SOG 5-2 ND; Irish now (3-1-2; 1-0-1 ACC) #NDvsUVA 10 hours ago
- Have you picked up your @Panoramascom from @NDFootball vs Michigan? Gorgeous photo worthy of an incredible game- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 11 hours ago
- #NDTwitter accounts to follow right now- @NDMenSoccer and @NDsoftball #GameInProgress 13 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: HALFTIME: ND 0, UVA 0; Shots 4-4; SOG 1-0 UVA; CK 3-2 UVA #NDvsUVA 13 hours ago