Aug 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
Men’s tennis head coach Bobby Bayliss makes his first appearance on the UNDerground blog, as he and his team prepare for their trip to Dublin, where they will take on the Irish Davis Cup team this weekend.
Wednesday morning and we are ready to take off for Dublin. What a wonderful opportunity for our guys! Carrying everyone’s passports, football tickets, etc. I have never felt so important. This trip has just begun, but is already a blur. Very little sleep last night going over the last second details. We are meeting last year’s captain, Niall Fitzgerald, as he is accompanying us and will actually play for the Irish Davis Cup team on Friday. This was more difficult than I had imagined because Niall is now the graduate assistant coach at Tulane and – after some deliberation – he took a 27 hour bus trip to O’Hare, as all flights and trains from New Orleans are shut down due to Hurricane Isaac. Go figure!
This whole trip came about as a result of a conversation I had in Dublin last summer when I was there recruiting/evaluating the players at the Irish Junior Championships. Jimmy McDonough, the director of tennis and I figured it out and a quick conversation with Garry Cahill, Irish Davis Cup captain, cemented the idea. The last year has seen it come to fruition with lots of assistance from many people – Beth Hunter of the Monogram Club [football tickets], John Anthony and his staff [travel], and Jill Bodensteiner [NCAA Compliance and general advisor]. It has been rewarding to work with former players Barry King and Niall to make everything become a reality.
So now it’s off to Dublin. Our bus has arrived and as I run out the door, I am trying to think of what I have forgotten to do, but most of all I am very excited for our players and this wonderful experience they are going to have. It is frequently said that Notre Dame is a place where dreams come true and our trip is just one more example of that adage. Off we go to the land of smiles, freckles, and occasional showers!
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
- W. Rowing. Top 10 For Irish Championship Four Highlights Head Of The Charles Results
- W. Volleyball. Irish Rally From Down 2-0; Best BC In Five-Set Thriller
- Football. Brian Kelly Florida State Review Teleconference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Florida State - Postgame Notes
- Football. No. 5 Irish Fall to No. 2 Florida State, 31-27
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hand Lake Superior State A 5-1 Loss To Sweep Weekend Series
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDmbb: Is our team & staff all accounted for? RT@NDfidm: In Pensacola getting ready for special project video shoot Tuesday. http://t.c… 17 minutes ago
- RT @NDTIX: Don't forget to purchase your @NDmbb single game tickets! The first (exh) game vs Minnesota-Duluth is next Sat. http://t.co/OydE… 1 hour ago
- RT @WatchND: Onward Notre Dame:ND in Indy, the documentary highlighting @NDFootball’s trip to the Shamrock Series is #NowOnWatchND http://t… 2 hours ago
- Last night @NDSoccer's Liz Tucker won #NCAAWOTY. Hear @CoachWaldrum talk about Liz and see her accept the award- ntrda.me/1t30C7N 2 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Vote Patrick Hodan as #SAotWHodan! Hodan scored both game winners vs Northwestern & Duke last week! und.com/ot/socialpoll-… 3 hours ago