Oct 18, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT
It’s the little things which set Anders Lee apart from other hockey players. Some would say it’s his size; others, his talent. But the fact of the matter is that plenty of other players have those attributes—they just don’t have those “little things.”
It’s hard to put a finger exactly on what it is that Lee has, and to really define those little things. One thing is for sure: they are definitely intangible traits. Anyone could be big. Anyone could throw a wicked shoulder along the boards. Anyone could have a heavy slap shot, or an extremely agile stick. And sure, Lee has most of these traits in varying degrees, but he’s also got charisma and an innate ability to lead—characteristics that are hard to come across in addition to those aforementioned.
Something that I firmly believe and have seen to be true is that a player’s personality off the ice usually tends to translate to the player he is on the ice. If a player is more of an introvert and not very outgoing off the ice, then they are more likely to become your stay-at-home defenseman or your grinding and hardworking forward. Your extroverts and “life of the party” players will tend to be your flashy players—the danglers and the end-to-end defenseman. It’s tough to fit Anders Lee into these two categories. Rather, Lee would be more like that friend you have that seems to always have his stuff together; the one that has a plan, the mature one.
Clearly Coach Jeff Jackson sees this too. Anders Lee, only a junior on the team, was named the only captain for this 2012-2013 hockey season. Coach Jackson understands that leadership isn’t always about age or seniority. Leadership is about that intangible characteristic of maturity—something Lee clearly shows. Coach Jackson knew this last year, when he appointed Lee, a sophomore at the time, as an assistant captain.
Captaining a team is no new experience to Lee. In high school, Lee was the captain of not only his hockey team, but his varsity football team as well, where he served as quarterback. This experience no doubt is connected to Lee’s maturity and ability to lead a team at the collegiate level.
When asked about the expectations for captaining a team of this caliber, Lee responded, “My job is to put this team in a position to win a championship and to represent this school the way it deserves to be represented.” Said like a true captain—with modesty and maturity.
- W. Lacrosse. Kaitlyn Brosco's Experience Boosts Notre Dame's Attack
- Baseball. Irish Travel To Coral Gables For Showdown With Top-20 Miami
- Track. Both Teams Finish Day Two Of The ACCs In Eighth Place
- Softball. Perfection From Winter Leads #21/22 Irish To Day One Sweep Of Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Team In Seventh Heading Into Final Round Of ACC Championship
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Travels To Play Syracuse
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame to Take On Boston College This Weekend
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish In Michigan For ACC/Big Ten Challenge On Saturday
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Good luck to @NDBaseball in their game with Miami! Tune in on ESPN3- bit.ly/1gJagT0 #GoIrish #BeatHurricanes 6 hours ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: Final score, No. 1 Syracuse 18, No. 9 Notre Dame 10. These teams will play again on Thursday in the ACC quarters. 8 hours ago
- Irish goal with 7 seconds left on the clock. @NDWomensLax 10 - Syracuse 18. 8 hours ago
- RT @ACCTrackField: Piece of history tonight as Jade Barber becomes the first from @NDXCTF to win #ACCOTF gold! She takes the W's 100m Hurdl… 8 hours ago
- RT @NDsidSean: . @NDlacrosse & Maryland to meet again Friday in ACC semifinals - 7:30 pm (ET) at PPL Park in Chester, Pa. (live on @ESPNU) 8 hours ago