Oct 23, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Britney Sanders is having an incredible start to this tennis season. In fact, it could hardly be any better. The junior out of Ontario, Calif. hadn’t lost a singles match all season until this afternoon. She is a near-perfect 7-1. Not only is she dominating as a singles player, she is also 8-1 with her doubles partner Julie Sabacinski. Both of her losses came in the championship of their most recent tournament, the USTA/ITA Midwest Regional against the Kopinski/White duo of the Fighting Illini.
Today she took her 7-0 record into the singles final of the same tournament with a highly coveted automatic berth in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship on the line. Her opponent, Kate Turvy of Northwestern, was the number 2 seed in the tournament and rolled through the semifinals with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
Sanders had already knocked off the number 1 seed Emina Bektas in the quarterfinals, so she came into the match with confidence. Unfortunately, she came up just a little short after forcing a third set which she lost 6-4. It was a tough loss to swallow, but Sanders has nothing to hang her head about.
After reaching the finals in both singles and doubles, she has shown she’s a force to be reckoned with this season. We’re all excited to see how Britney Sanders will attack the rest of the year.
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Visits #8 Indiana On Wednesday
- Football. Notre Dame and ACC Announce Future Football Games
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.