Oct 23, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT
Britney Sanders is having an incredible start to this tennis season. In fact, it could hardly be any better. The junior out of Ontario, Calif. hadn’t lost a singles match all season until this afternoon. She is a near-perfect 7-1. Not only is she dominating as a singles player, she is also 8-1 with her doubles partner Julie Sabacinski. Both of her losses came in the championship of their most recent tournament, the USTA/ITA Midwest Regional against the Kopinski/White duo of the Fighting Illini.
Today she took her 7-0 record into the singles final of the same tournament with a highly coveted automatic berth in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship on the line. Her opponent, Kate Turvy of Northwestern, was the number 2 seed in the tournament and rolled through the semifinals with a 6-0, 6-0 sweep.
Sanders had already knocked off the number 1 seed Emina Bektas in the quarterfinals, so she came into the match with confidence. Unfortunately, she came up just a little short after forcing a third set which she lost 6-4. It was a tough loss to swallow, but Sanders has nothing to hang her head about.
After reaching the finals in both singles and doubles, she has shown she’s a force to be reckoned with this season. We’re all excited to see how Britney Sanders will attack the rest of the year.
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.