Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 AM EST
Those of you who have been following the blog know that the new Castellan Family Fencing Facility – located on the site of the former hockey rink in the Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center – was dedicated in a ceremony last Saturday. The fencers are excited about the move into their newer and nicer digs (it’s hard not to be jealous of anyone who gets to hang around in a lounge and locker room that nice), but the improvements aren’t just cosmetic: They will also help them practice more effectively.
“This new fencing facility puts our fencing resources at the top of the country among our competitors,” junior sabre Alex Coccia said. “With more fencing strips we will be able to have more people fencing at any given time, and one of the keys to fencing is trying to get as many bouts in during a single practice as possible – it gives you a place to start next practice, a record and style on which to improve, and it simulates a tournament setting well.”
Some members of the men’s fencing team thought that they might receive their rings commemorating last year’s conference title at the ceremony, but it turns out they’ll have to wait a little bit longer for that. However, with Notre Dame Fencing’s rich history, talented roster, and state of the art facilities, there are probably plenty more rings in their future.
- M. Tennis. Match With Illinois Postponed Due To Weather
- Softball. Rounding The Bases With The Irish (First): Who Will Emerge In The Pitching Circle?
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finished Northwestern Duals With Perfect 13-0 Mark
- Football. Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown Named to Pro Football Hall of Fame
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Wins, 5-3; Earns Split With UNH
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Wins Over Missouri State and Incarnate Word, Swims to Second against Iowa
- W. Swimming. Irish Wrap Up Winning Weekend With Exciting Senior Day
- Track. Harris Sets Another Record As Irish Conclude Razorback Invitational
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame at Pittsburgh: Postgame Quotes
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Putting Power Back into Power Play
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- From last night... @NDFootball alums Jerome Bettis, Tim Brown Named to Pro Football Hall of Fame- ntrda.me/1COGiLh Congratulations! 38 minutes ago
- RT @NDFootball: We join our AD & @CoachBrianKelly wishing @dfleming58 & @jgray_ND25, good luck in #SB49 today with the @Patriots! http://t.… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: PINK ZONE INFOGRAPHIC: Notre Dame defeats Wake Forest 92-63. Jewell Loyd scored 20 points for the Irish. http://t.co/DnBs… 2 hours ago
- That will it from @NDwbb! Irish 92 - Wake 63. Thanks for everyone's support of #PinkZone! Next up, UVA on Thursday #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsidMasters: Westbeld with the layup, Big Macs for the Purcell crowd braving snowstorm, @ndwbb leads Wake Forest 89-58 (2:45) #NDvWF 2 hours ago