Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- W. Rowing. Irish Duo At World Rowing Under 23 Championships In Italy This Week
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Players Compete In ITA Tournament At Courtney Tennis Center
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Players Face Off In ITA Tournament Finals
- M. Lacrosse. David Earl And Team Canada Win FIL World Championships
- W. Swimming. Irish Women's Swimming And Diving Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session III - Final Day Game Schedule
- Football. Nine Different Irish Football Players Make Watch Lists
- Track. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- Cross Country. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- W. Soccer. Roccaro, Naughton Named To U.S. Under-20 Women's World Cup Team
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Because everyone should get a little Happy, right @NDstrength? bit.ly/1fBCYuf #GoIrish 10 hours ago
- #NDFollow the gang at @NDwbb! @MuffetMcGraw @IrishCoachIvey @GoIrishCoachO @BCunninghamND And don't forget to vote for the class video! 12 hours ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: What is it like 2 b a student-athlete & member of ND Lax program? Check out "ND Lax Experience" Playlist on YouTube https:/… 13 hours ago
- Field turf is being installed at Notre Dame Stadium- let's #HitPlay on @LepLegion's Green Out @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/1fN1BRL 13 hours ago
- Because it's Tuesday- bit.ly/1jTgXJz #NDFamily 15 hours ago