Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
- M. Basketball. ACC Announces Conference Opponents For 2014-15 And 2015-16 Campaigns
- Baseball. No. 11 Hurricanes Score Four In Eighth To Rally Past Irish, 6-3
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Looking for evening plans? Join us at Alumni for the @NDSoccer game vs Haiti. @NDTix are at the door OR bit.ly/NDSocVHaiti #GoIrish 51 minutes ago
- To celebrate @NDSoccer's friendly v Haiti, #HitPlay on their Post-Season Songs @Spotify playlist on your lunch hour spoti.fi/1i9o1xM 53 minutes ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Some say @MAX_sWELLy is the Johnny Carson of his generation, others say he reminds them of the paper boy, you decide: … 1 hour ago
- .@NDBaseball Returns With Wednesday Matchup vs C.Michigan bit.ly/1foUtIF Near Kalamazoo? See you at Stryker Field, 7:05 pm #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Guess what day it is!! Come out to Alumni at 6pm to support the Irish against Haiti! #GameDay #GoIrish http://t.co/iPgfN5vjGO 2 hours ago