Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EDT
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Never seen a @FallonTonight Lip Sync Battle? bit.ly/1k5EHKq @Cuse Otto & I want to take on @JimmyFallon. Tweet… 33 minutes ago
- RT @gamedayND: #Irish fans: Retweet if you want to see @NDTheLeprechaun take on @Cuse's Otto in a lip sync battle on @FallonTonight #ACCvsF… 46 minutes ago
- Thanks @Cuse Otto for the pic! Should this be the avatar for @NDTheLeprechaun's #ACCvsFallon @Spotify playlist? http://t.co/s9oKljFY95 52 minutes ago
- RT @Cuse: Retweet if you want to see #Otto & @NDTheLeprechaun lip sync on @FallonTonight & send your song picks! #ACCvsFallon http://t.co/R… 55 minutes ago
- How did @NDmbb's Jerian Grant stay in touch with the team while he was away? Part 2 of @NDFIDM's 3 part series- bit.ly/1k5Aarx 1 hour ago