Oct 25, 2012, 10:46 AM EST
St. John’s University and Van Cortlandt Park will host the next substantial test for the Irish women’s cross-country team. The BIG EAST Championship will feature 15 women’s teams including perennial powerhouses Providence, Georgetown, and defending champion Villanova.
The Irish women look to rebound after a 12th place finish in the Wisconsin Invitational. In Madison, all Irish runners failed to crack the top 50 in the 316-runner field.
The conference championship boasts a field with five teams nationally ranked within the top 25 spots in the USATFCCCA poll. The Irish enter the contest on Friday ranked 19th in the country.
“We go into every meet with the intention of winning,” head coach Tim Connelly said. “We will be in the hunt if we run like we’re capable; if we don’t, we could finish 6th. That is how strong the field is.”
Other programs won’t be the only obstacles standing in the way of the Irish capturing a BIG EAST title. Van Cortlandt Park is a notoriously arduous track and adds variables to the typical courses Notre Dame competes at.
“We generally run on golf courses or other areas with a lot of grass,” Connelly said. “This (Cortlandt) is mainly trails with crushed limestone and incorporates a lot of hills.”
Friday will be the last tune up race for the Irish before they make a return trip to Madison, Wisc. for the Great Lakes Regional meet. Finishing positions in the regional meet will determine if the Irish earn a spot in the NCAA Championships.
“This meet (BIG EAST) is the first step in achieving our season goals,” Connelly said. “Winning this will give us confidence that will hopefully carry us to a top-2 finish at regionals and an automatic bid to the National Championships.”
The meet begins at 11 a.m. EST. Times and standings will be updated on UND.com at the conclusion of the race.
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Huarte Celebrates 50 Years Since Heisman Trophy Win
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Picked To Defend ACC Title
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Guard Jewell Loyd Named National And Conference Player of the Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Exterior wall is painted and looks great! Time to tackle the floor. http://t.co/joAkscWYCf 16 minutes ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Joe Schmidt and Jaylon Smith of @NDFootball shared the 2014 FBS All-Independent Defensive Player of the Year award 43 minutes ago
- Dinner plans? Grab your bball-lovin' honey and make plans to come to the @NDMikeBrey Radio Show tonight at O'Rourke's! See you at 7 pm ET! 52 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDame: ‘Blind Faith’ gives a first time fan the Notre Dame experience. ntrda.me/FirstTimeFans http://t.co/JLpSdqaMRe 2 hours ago
- Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer - @NDFencing ready for success with Francesca Russo on board ntrda.me/1r2rBB7 2 hours ago