Oct 25, 2012, 11:04 AM EST
The Irish women’s swimming and diving program is in Alabama today, ready to square off against national powerhouse Auburn University. The trip signifies the return of Notre Dame women’s head coach Brian Barnes to his previous home, as Barnes was an assistant coach for the Auburn program before heading to South Bend in 2008 to lead the Irish squad. Barnes was the assistant coach for the Tigers from 2005 to 2008.
Barnes was a part of a tremendously successful Auburn program, as both the Tigers’ men’s and women’s teams won the NCAA Championships in 2006 and 2007. During Barnes’ time at Auburn, the men won three SEC championships, while the women collected two titles.
It is that kind of swimming pedigree that Barnes is looking to build in South Bend and he is already well on his way. The Irish have a strong nucleus of swimmers in senior Kim Holden, junior Kelly Ryan and sophomore Emma Reaney. Lead by those three swimmers, the Irish are looking to make a big splash on the national scene at the NCAA Championships later this season. The Irish are aiming to record the program’s highest NCAA finish, which is currently an 18th place showing in 1999-2000.
Notre Dame opened the 2012-13 campaign at the annual Dennis Stark Relays, where they cruised to an easy victory, winning 11 of the 12 relays in the meet slate. While the big three of Holden, Ryan and Reaney all delivered great performances, freshman Catherine Galletti also delivered with a big opening meet, a great sign for the upcoming season.
Tomorrow provides the Irish with a fantastic opportunity to travel to a national championship contender and witness first hand what it will take to compete at the highest of levels. The Irish are looking to improve on last year’s performance against the Tigers when the Irish fell 125-167. The trip is also the first for the Irish women’s program to an SEC school for a dual meet.
Auburn University will be broadcasting the meet live. You can view the meet by clicking here.
- M. Basketball. Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Falls To North Dakota St., 73-69
- General News. Notre Dame To Host 2015 NCAA Hockey Regionals At Compton Family Ice Arena
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame To Host 2015 NCAA Hockey Regionals At Compton Family Ice Arena
- W. Swimming. Women's Swimming And Diving Announces Seven Signees
- M. Soccer. Shooting For The Stars
- W. Swimming. Notre Dame's Reaney And Streepey Honored By ACC
- M. Ice Hockey. Vince Hinostroza Added To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish To Battle The Bison On Wednesday
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- 30 mins until @NDmbb's Press Conference! Tune in on @WatchND to hear @NDMikeBrey talk about next week at IU and OSU bit.ly/IHp6PS 32 minutes ago
- And the winner of the @PinstripBowl tickets... #nepbtrophytour @NDLibraries instagram.com/p/h09fldyKpj/ 33 minutes ago
- 10 more minutes until we raffle off another pair of @PinstripeBowl tickets. Get down to @NDLibraries to win! #NEPBTrophyTour 38 minutes ago
- RT @NDFootball: Thanks Sheldon @S_NDbound_Day91 for hanging out and taking pics with the fans and the @PinstripeBowl Trophy! #NEPBTrophyTou… 42 minutes ago
- RT @NDFootball: We're not naming names, but we think this guy might be not be eligible to win... @PinstripeBowl #NEPBTrophyTour http://t.co… 42 minutes ago