Oct 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams rebounded from disappointing ends to their regular seasons with third and fifth place finishes, respectively, in last Friday’s BIG EAST Championship Meet.
The men placed third in an impressive and competitive field that featured three of the USTFCCCA’s Top 30 teams. Syracuse backed up its No. 16 ranking by winning the championship meet with only 37 points. The Irish finished with 70 points, only three behind rival Georgetown, who placed second in the meet.
Senior Jeremy Rae, the Irish’s top runner throughout the regular season, finished 3rd overall, with a time of 24:39.39. Junior Martin Grady placed 8th with a time of 24:46.52, and Senior J.P. Malette finished 14th in 24:58.42. The three runners received all-BIG EAST honors for their performances in a competitive field, which featured only a 20-second differential between 1st and 15th place.
The women’s team placed fifth with 90 points, only seven behind fourth place Villanova and 10 behind third place Providence. No. 9 Georgetown won the women’s meet with 58 points.
Next up for the Irish is the Great Lakes Regional Championship on Friday, Nov. 9. The Irish will return to Madison, Wisc., the site of the Wisconsin Invitational.
On the men’s side, the Irish are ranked fourth in the region, behind Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, who respectively finished first, second and third in the Big Ten Men’s Championship Meet. Wisconsin, who won its 14th consecutive Big Ten title, will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the race.
The women, who also rank fourth in the region, will face strong competition from Michigan and Michigan State, who placed first and second, respectively in the Big Ten Women’s Championship Meet.
With strong performances in the regional meets, the Irish will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships later this month.
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Claims First ACC Championship Victory Over Boston College
- Softball. #21 Irish Outlast Valparaiso 7-2 In Midweek Tilt
- W. Lacrosse. Irish Play No. 1 Syracuse Tough But Fall in ACC Quarters
- Baseball. Notre Dame Welcomes Northeastern To the U.S. Steel Yard This Weekend
- M. Lacrosse. #9 Irish To Meet #5 Maryland Friday In ACC Semifinals
- M. Golf. Irish Ready For First ACC Championship
- Baseball. Irish Fall To Central Michigan, 4-3, In Kalamazoo
- Softball. #21 Irish, Longtime Foe Valparaiso Meet In Thursday Showdown
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Kavanagh And Stephen O'Hara Named All-ACC
- W. Lacrosse. Margaret Smith Named All-ACC
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDsoftball: FINAL: #21 Notre Dame 7 Valparaiso 2 #ndsb 8 hours ago
- Friday Trivia Night kicks off @NDSoftball's Strike Out Cancer Weekend. Not in the area, but want to help? Donate bit.ly/Ptyk53 9 hours ago
- Looking for the play by play from @NDsoftball vs Valpo? Make sure you are following them on Twitter #GameInProgress 9 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Notre Dame vs. Valparaiso starts now! Go Irish, Beat Crusaders! Here's the lineup: http://t.co/evPKEcXahe 9 hours ago
- Game time for @NDSoftball! Head on down to Melissa Cook OR tune in on @WatchND- bit.ly/1nIwWrg #GoIrish 10 hours ago