Oct 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EST
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams rebounded from disappointing ends to their regular seasons with third and fifth place finishes, respectively, in last Friday’s BIG EAST Championship Meet.
The men placed third in an impressive and competitive field that featured three of the USTFCCCA’s Top 30 teams. Syracuse backed up its No. 16 ranking by winning the championship meet with only 37 points. The Irish finished with 70 points, only three behind rival Georgetown, who placed second in the meet.
Senior Jeremy Rae, the Irish’s top runner throughout the regular season, finished 3rd overall, with a time of 24:39.39. Junior Martin Grady placed 8th with a time of 24:46.52, and Senior J.P. Malette finished 14th in 24:58.42. The three runners received all-BIG EAST honors for their performances in a competitive field, which featured only a 20-second differential between 1st and 15th place.
The women’s team placed fifth with 90 points, only seven behind fourth place Villanova and 10 behind third place Providence. No. 9 Georgetown won the women’s meet with 58 points.
Next up for the Irish is the Great Lakes Regional Championship on Friday, Nov. 9. The Irish will return to Madison, Wisc., the site of the Wisconsin Invitational.
On the men’s side, the Irish are ranked fourth in the region, behind Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, who respectively finished first, second and third in the Big Ten Men’s Championship Meet. Wisconsin, who won its 14th consecutive Big Ten title, will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the race.
The women, who also rank fourth in the region, will face strong competition from Michigan and Michigan State, who placed first and second, respectively in the Big Ten Women’s Championship Meet.
With strong performances in the regional meets, the Irish will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships later this month.
- W. Basketball. Achonwa Leads No. 4 Irish Past No. 10 Penn State
- M. Ice Hockey. Thomas DiPauli Selected To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- W. Volleyball. Houser Named Third Team All-ACC
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Head Coach Mike Brey Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Falls at Iowa, 98-93
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- M. Soccer. Harrison Shipp Named A MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist
- W. Basketball. #4/5 Irish Visit #10/11 Penn State Wednesday For Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Set For Inaugural Appearance In Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: Just want to send out another thanks to Coach Digger Phelps for taking the time to talk to our @JrNDBloggers! http://t… 1 hour ago
- #SafeTravels to @NDswimming and @NDWSwimming as they head to Iowa for the Hawkeye Invitational #NDFamily 2 hours ago
- .@NDmenSoccer's Harrison Shipp is up for the Hermann Trophy! Voting starts today- vote early, vote often- bit.ly/18nUwkv #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- RT @byrneirish: “@BroBible: Did Notre Dame Lacrosse Just Drop the Sickest Lacrosse Trailer Ever? -- brobible.com/sports/article…” Yes, yes we d… 3 hours ago
- RT @GoIrish: Join @NDMenSoccer when they host Michigan State this Saturday @ 7 - arrive early to get FREE hot chocolate! #goirish #ComebyAl… 4 hours ago