Oct 31, 2012, 9:54 AM EDT
The Irish men’s and women’s cross country teams rebounded from disappointing ends to their regular seasons with third and fifth place finishes, respectively, in last Friday’s BIG EAST Championship Meet.
The men placed third in an impressive and competitive field that featured three of the USTFCCCA’s Top 30 teams. Syracuse backed up its No. 16 ranking by winning the championship meet with only 37 points. The Irish finished with 70 points, only three behind rival Georgetown, who placed second in the meet.
Senior Jeremy Rae, the Irish’s top runner throughout the regular season, finished 3rd overall, with a time of 24:39.39. Junior Martin Grady placed 8th with a time of 24:46.52, and Senior J.P. Malette finished 14th in 24:58.42. The three runners received all-BIG EAST honors for their performances in a competitive field, which featured only a 20-second differential between 1st and 15th place.
The women’s team placed fifth with 90 points, only seven behind fourth place Villanova and 10 behind third place Providence. No. 9 Georgetown won the women’s meet with 58 points.
Next up for the Irish is the Great Lakes Regional Championship on Friday, Nov. 9. The Irish will return to Madison, Wisc., the site of the Wisconsin Invitational.
On the men’s side, the Irish are ranked fourth in the region, behind Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana, who respectively finished first, second and third in the Big Ten Men’s Championship Meet. Wisconsin, who won its 14th consecutive Big Ten title, will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the race.
The women, who also rank fourth in the region, will face strong competition from Michigan and Michigan State, who placed first and second, respectively in the Big Ten Women’s Championship Meet.
With strong performances in the regional meets, the Irish will look to qualify for the NCAA Championships later this month.
- M. Basketball. Finding Redemption
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The voting is still going strong for @NDTheLeprechaun's #ACCvsFallon challenge song und.com/ACCvsFallon.ht… Have you voted? 38 minutes ago
- The @NDSportsBlogger breaks down @NDFootball's #17 ranking- bit.ly/1qtH204 #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- ICYMI the story of @NDmbb's Jerian Grant, "Finding Redemption" by Lauren Chval @Lchval- bit.ly/1m1TSzQ #NDFamily 4 hours ago
- So close. @NDFootball #GoIrish instagram.com/p/rIAO62yKlz/ 5 hours ago
- Are you ready for the 2 Minute Drill on the Fighting Irish Tumblr? The @JrNDbloggers introduce you to @NDHockey- fightingirish.tumblr.com 5 hours ago