Nov 2, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
The Irish swimming and diving programs will kick off an action-packed weekend on the campus of the University of Notre Dame when they welcome the Boilermakers of Purdue to the Rolfs Aquatic Center. The in-state duel in the pool will feature both the men’s and women’s squads from both institutions. Notre Dame looks for revenge against Purdue as the Boilermakers swept the Irish in West Lafayette last season.
While this year’s contest doesn’t feature Olympic diver David Boudia, who visited the Notre Dame campus two years ago when he was a member of the Purdue Boilermakers’ diving squad, today’s match-up will have plenty of excitement as the #18 Irish women’s squad battles #24 Purdue and the Notre Dame men’s team tries to knock off 18th-ranked Purdue.
The Notre Dame women’s program went toe-to-toe against fifth-ranked Auburn last weekend. The Irish won eight of the sixteen events in the dual meet but were not able to match the depth of the Tigers, falling 132-166. The duo of Jenny Chiang and Allison Casareto swept the diving competition for the Irish while a number of young swimmers turned in good showings as well. Sophomore Suzanne Bessire turned in a phenomenal time of 1:50.71 in the 200m free for the Irish. That time is faster than any dual meet performance Bessire turned in all of last season. Fellow sophomore Bridget Casey also delivered two second-place finishes in the 1,000m free and 200m butterfly.
The Irish men are coming off an impressive weekend sweep of the Oakland Golden Grizzlies and the Michigan State Spartans. The Irish took the pool at 6:00 p.m. at Oakland last Friday and cruised to a 191-107 win. The Irish then hopped on a bus and headed to Michigan State. The team was up and ready for their noon contest against Michigan State, which they also dominated en route to a 178-120 victory. The Irish were once again lead by Frank Dyer who turned in performances of 1:38.48 and 1:38.73 in the 200m free, both of which were Irish victories. Sophomore Zachary Stephens also had an impressive weekend, winning three individual events (50m free vs. Oakland; 100m, 200m breast vs. Michigan State) over the two meets. In diving action, sophomore Nick Nemetz won the 1-meter springboard at Oakland and then swept the 1- and 3-meter springboards against Michigan State.
If you are in town today, be sure to check out some Irish swimming and diving action. If you can’t make it, you can track all the results online with our live stats. A link will be on und.com before the meet.
- M. Soccer. Besler Golden Goal Lifts #1 Notre Dame Past VCU, 1-0, In Double-Overtime
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Stanford Game Notes
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Rookie Class Makes for Irish Hockey Wild Card in 2014-15
- M. Golf. Sciupider Takes Runner-Up Honors As Irish Finish Seventh At Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- Football. Stanford Preview Press Conference With Brian Kelly
- W. Soccer. Kaela Little Named ACC Women's Soccer Player Of The Week
- M. Lacrosse. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
- M. Golf. Sciupider Tied For Lead, Irish Slip To Fifth On Day Two Of The Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- General News. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: FINAL/2OT: ND 1, VCU 0; Besler 107th min goal; Hodan & Farina assist; Shots 22-8 ND; SOG 7-1 ND; CK 10-3 ND #NDvsVCU 9 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: HALFTIME: ND 0, VCU 0; Shots 7-4 ND; SOG 3-1 ND; CK 3-2 ND; Wall 3 saves #NDvsVCU 10 hours ago
- Inside @NDFootball, hosted by @NDJackNolan… NDFB vs Syracuse~ ntrda.me/1wVlaP5 ow.ly/i/73Yny 11 hours ago
- Can't erg but want to help @NotreDameRowing and @PanCan? Donate here- ntrda.me/NDergathon ow.ly/i/73X33 #NDFamily 12 hours ago
- .@NotreDameRowing's Erg-A-Thon is Friday 12-7 pm ET. Here's why they are raising money for @PanCan- ntrda.me/1pmySW5 #NDFamily 12 hours ago