Nov 7, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Irish cross country teams will return to the Thomas Zimmer Championship Course in Madison, Wisc. this Friday for the Great Lakes Regional Championships. The men’s and women’s teams both struggled on the course at the Wisconsin Invitational on Oct. 14, finishing 26th and 12th respectively.
Now the stakes are much higher. With a strong performance on Friday, the Irish can qualify for the NCAA Championship meet, which takes place next Saturday, Nov. 17, in Louisville, Ky.
The men’s team has qualified for the NCAA Championship Meet in eight out of the last 10 years following strong finishes at the Great Lakes Regional. The Irish only missed out on an NCAA bid in 2003 and 2009, following eighth and seventh place finishes for those respective years. Generally, with a fourth place finish or higher in the Great Lakes Regional, the Irish have earned a spot in the national championship meet.
Last year, the men finished fourth with 119 points and qualified for the NCAA Championship, where they finished 24th. Senior Jeremy Rae led the Irish with a 17th place finish in a time of 30:41.3 in the 10K race. Close behind Rae were teammates Martin Grady, who finished 20th with a time of 30:44.2, and J.P. Malette, who placed 35th in 31:06.7.
The Irish will run against a competitive field that includes nationally ranked No. 6 Wisconsin, No. 12 Michigan, and No. 20 Indiana. Wisconsin is coming off a Big Ten Championship and looks to be the favorite for Friday’s meet. However, Rae, Martin, and Malette will look to put the No. 28 Irish in position to win the meet and qualify for nationals.
The women’s team has also qualified seven out of the last 10 years for the NCAA Championships following successful races at the Great Lakes Regional. They won the regional meet in 2002, 2003, and 2009, years in which they went on to finish third, 10th, and 24th in the national championship.
Senior Jessica Rydberg, who placed 10th in a time of 20:46.7, and sophomore Gabby Gonzales, who finished 13th in 20:54.4, led the Irish runners to a fifth place finish in the Great Lakes Championship last year. The Irish qualified for the NCAA Championships where they finished 22nd.
In the women’s field, No. 6 Michigan, No. 11 Michigan State, and No. 18 Toledo will pose the greatest threat for the No. 23 Irish. Rydberg, Gonzales, and all-BIG EAST runners Kelly Curran and Rebecca Tracy will look to lead the Irish back to the national championship meet.
With their seasons on the line, look for the Irish cross country teams to give an all-out effort through the finish line this Friday to earn a chance to run for the national title next weekend.
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Enjoy Historic Offensive Night In 17-2 Win Over Toledo
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Plays In Its First ACC Championship This Weekend
- M. Basketball. New Jersey Guard Matt Farrell Set To Join Notre Dame Men's Basketball Program
- Fencing. Fencing Signs Five Freshmen To Next Year's Team
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Loses at No. 13 Ohio State, 12-9
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Close Homestand Against Toledo Wednesday
- W. Rowing. Rowing Recap: Onward To Michigan
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- It's a big game for @NDLacrosse vs #3 Maryland, so we need Arlotta rocking. Reserve your @NDTix now- bit.ly/MLAXvMaryland14 #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- Check out the special kit that @NDLacrosse will be wearing against Maryland this Saturday- bit.ly/P7Wp1e #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- .@NDwomensGolf is competing in their 1st @TheACC Championship. #HitPlay on their @Spotify playlist spoti.fi/1g5GJns Go Low! #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: #NDday launches April 27! Watch, Connect, Give & Vote at NotreDameDay.ND.edu! Don’t forget to vote for Men’s Soccer! #G… 2 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: DYK: Last night's win - our 26th of the season - secured our 26th consecutive winning season since becoming a varsity sport… 2 hours ago