Nov 8, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT
After a disappointing fifth place finish in the BIG EAST championship meet, the Fighting Irish women’s cross country team seeks a rebound performance and a national championship meet bid.
The Irish stumbled in their last meet finishing fifth in a meet they expected to finish within the top three. Junior Kelly Curran led the Irish contestants with a time of 21:21 on the arduous Van Cortlandt Park trail. She crossed the finish line in 12th place despite running the last mile with only one shoe. Senior Rebecca Tracy also finished with all BIG EAST honors in 15th place.
A top two finish in the regional qualifier would guarantee the Irish a spot in the national championship meet. Finishing any lower than that would leave the team hoping to be awarded one of the at-large bids.
“Hopefully the disappointment from BIG EAST will motivate to race our best in regionals,” senior Jessica Rydberg said.
Madison, Wisc. is the host of the regional meet, and will be the host to Notre Dame for the second time this season. In their first appearance, the Irish finished 12th within the elite field entered in the Wisconsin Invitational.
“Wisconsin’s course is probably the best course we race on all year,” Rydberg said. “There are a few hills, but nothing too tough; the grass is very well groomed.”
This meet is the equivalent of a championship playoff series for cross country teams all over the nation. For many seniors Friday will be their last collegiate race. Obviously, the Irish look to avoid that fate for their seniors.
“If we don’t qualify for nationals, this would be my last cross country race,” Rydberg said. “I’m so happy with my team; I can’t imagine a better group of girls to spend my last season with. No matter what happens, I’ll be proud to have been a part of this team.”
The race begins Friday at 1 pm ET. Times will be updated on und.com at the conclusion of the contest.
- Track. 14 Fighting Irish Move On To The NCAA National Championship
- Baseball. Bull's Walk-off Single Sends Irish Past Pittsburgh, Into BIG EAST Title Game
- Track. Notre Dame Qualifies Five Student-Athletes for the NCAA National Championship
- W. Lacrosse. Sullivan Earns First Team WomensLax.com All-America Honors
- W. Lacrosse. Granger, Hilling Tabbed For IWLCA/Under Armour North-South All-Star Game
- W. Basketball. Pair Of Irish Alums On 2013 WNBA Opening Day Rosters
- Track. Jeremy Rae Wins 1,500m Prelims On Day One Of The NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Greg Andrews Eliminated From Round of 32 At NCAA Singles Championship
- Baseball. Irish Move Into BIG EAST Tournament Semifinals Following 5-3 Victory Over Pittsburgh
- M. Lacrosse. Matt Miller To Play In Friday's 72nd Annual North-South Game
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish defeat Pitt 3-2 - BIG EAST Semifinals
Length: 2:33 | May 25, 2013
Baseball vs Pitt BIG EAST Semifinal Preview
Length: 2:08 | May 24, 2013
Irish defeat Pitt 5-3 - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 2:27 | May 23, 2013
Eric Jagielo and Blaise Lezynski Interview - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 3:18 | May 22, 2013
- RT @NDXCTF: 1,500m: Curran (4:16.09-third), Tracy (4:18.02-10th) into the NCAA Championships! 9 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: Jeremy Rae (3:39.92) wins the 1,500m, off to Eugene, Ore. 9 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: 100mH: Jade Baber (13.00-third) earns a bid to the NCAA Championship. 9 hours ago
- .@NDFIDM talks to @NDBaseball's HC @MikAoki9 about their 3-2 win over Pitt bit.ly/13SIikg #GoIrish 11 hours ago
- .@NDBaseball's Bull's Walk-off Single Sends Irish Past Pitt, Into @BigEastChamps bit.ly/13U2Sx8 Title game is Sunday noon vs UConn 11 hours ago