Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/#21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Huarte Celebrates 50 Years Since Heisman Trophy Win
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.