Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Opens Fall Schedule With Two Invitationals
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women First, Men Second At National Catholic Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Tonight's the night! Showdown at Alumni Stadium between @NDSoccer and UNC. We need everyone there to cheer on our Irish. Who's in #GoIrish 57 minutes ago
- If you were at @NDFootball vs Michigan, this @Panoramascom photo is for you. The perfect piece for your Domer Den- ntrda.me/NDpano2014 1 hour ago
- 1 hour left to vote in @NDSoccer's Helmet Poll! Will it be Blue or Gold? You decide- ntrda.me/SoftballPoll #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- Congrats to @NDXCTF! 1st for the women, and 2nd for the men in the National Catholic Championship! Highlights- ntrda.me/ZwL7cx 3 hours ago
- Apologies, we've been informed that tonight's @NDSoccer vs UNC game is at 7 pm not 7:30 pm ET. #GoIrish 4 hours ago