Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- DYK @NDHockey announced their upcoming schedule? bit.ly/1l9W8ol We look forward to seeing you at @NDCFIA this season #GoIrish 46 minutes ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: 157 boxes in this morning from @UnderArmour ! Looks like it's all Men's custom pulse trainer 2's. #footwork http://t.co… 1 hour ago
- This week get free shipping at the online store on $50+ orders & 25% off Back To School backpacks and shoes bit.ly/1mOeJw2 #GetYours 1 hour ago
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Hey @jimmyfallon, @Cuse Otto and I've been talking format for our Lip Sync Battle. We're thinking duets #ACCvsFallon @… 4 hours ago
- Help @NDTheLeprechaun & @Cuse's Otto challenge @JimmyFallon to a Lip Sync Battle on @FallonTonight. Tweet your support with #ACCvsFallon 15 hours ago