Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- W. Volleyball. No. 7 North Carolina Tops Notre Dame, 3-0, Friday Night
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. Postgame Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Cruise Past Chattanooga, 88-53
- W. Soccer. Muya Shines As Irish Earn A 2-1 Comeback Win Over Texas In NCAA Second Round
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish To Battle Buckeyes In NCAA Second Round
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- Football. Living Out a Dream
- Football. Influential Fathers
- Cross Country. Irish Focus On Continuing Progression At NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Senior Day Primer, presented by @NDFIDM- ntrda.me/1xZbpAu Thank you, Seniors, for sharing your college years with us. #NDFamily 23 minutes ago
- ND Experience starts at 10 am at the JACC! @Sprint autograph session (11:30am–1:30pm) @RegBrooks40, Bobby Brown, Tony Driver, Paul Grasmanis 1 hour ago
- Visit @GameDayND for updates on parking, events, and the bag policy- ntrda.me/GameDayUpdate Follow them for real time updates. 2 hours ago
- Good luck @NDXCTF at the NCAA's! Go Fast! #GoIrish #BeatEveryone 2 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt3 - @NDXCTF at the NCAA Championships #GoIrish 2 hours ago