Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
- Softball. Irish Bow Out Of NCAA Championship
- W. Rowing. Irish Look For 10th Straight BIG EAST Title Sunday
- Baseball. Irish Even Series With 9-1 Rout Of Cincinnati
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Celebrating Ara Parseghian's 90th Birthday
Length: 6:59 | May 17, 2013
Michael Moore, BIG EAST Scholarship - Notre Dame Men's Tennis
Length: 1:30 | May 17, 2013
Preparing for the Big East Championship - Rowing
Length: 2:24 | May 17, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- RT @NDlacrosse: Final ND 11 - Duke 12. 4 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: All tied up. Again. @NDlacrosse vs. Duke. 11-11 with 3:18 to play. ESPNU. 4 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: Class of 2013, make sure you follow @GoIrish - the official account of the #NotreDame Alumni Association. 4 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Let's go @NDLacrosse! #TuneIn on @ESPNU #NDFamily #GoIrish #BeatBlueDevils 4 hours ago
- RT @NDSportsBlogger: End of the third… Duke and @ndlacrosse knotted at 9. Tune in on ESPNU if you're not already watching. 4 hours ago