Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EST
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads No. 6 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Clip No. 24 Cowboys 4-3 In ITA Kick-Off Opener
- M. Basketball. #8/9 Notre Dame Travels To NC State For Sunday Showdown
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Goal Lifts Northeastern Past Notre Dame, 3-2
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Mabrey Helps Irish East Past Georgia Tech
- Baseball. IRISH EXTRA: The Influence of a Baseball Hall of Famer
- M. Basketball. Irish Extra: Irish Breeze in Blacksburg
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Recap of yesterday's @NDwbb blow out win over Clemson- ntrda.me/18fkrBs #GoIrish 15 minutes ago
- RT @NDcoachSachire: Game Day at Notre Dame! @NDMensTennis takes on #16 Columbia inside the Eck Tennis Pavilion at 1pm. @FightingIrish #NDGr… 1 hour ago
- Recap of Day 1 of @NDmensTennis n the ITA Kick Off Weekend- ntrda.me/1JpmVL1 They play the championship round vs Columbia at 1pm ET. 1 hour ago
- RT @NDFencing: Today's starting lineup for the ND women: in épée, Ameli, Severson, Lee; in foil, Kiefer, Zeiss, McKee; in sabre, Russo, Thi… 1 hour ago
- RT @NDFencing: Lineups for the ND men: in épée, McGrath, Hanahan, Purdy; in foil, Khazbak, Collineau, Crumpler; in sabre, Shainberg, Hallst… 1 hour ago