Nov 9, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
It is that month of the year again. Put the razors away and hide the shaving cream. That’s right, we’re about a third of the way through No-Shave November. It’s the one month out of the year where it becomes socially acceptable for teenagers and young adults to let their scraggly facial hair run wild and not be judged too harshly for it. Whether your facial hair resembles a Grizzly Adams beard, a Tom Selleck mustache, or merely the skin of a peach, it’s a NovemBeard, and that is something to be respected. It’s a fun time of year, but there can also be a greater meaning behind the facial hair.
This year the Notre Dame Men’s Hockey team will all be participating in the Movember tradition of growing out their mustaches, but they will be doing so for a greater cause. In a team-wide effort spearheaded by defenseman Stephen Johns, the Fighting Irish will grow out their mustaches in hopes of raising awareness for testicular and prostate cancer—two types of cancer which men suffer most from.
When asked about motivation for starting this movement at Notre Dame, Johns responded, “I caught wind of the idea from a friend who plays out east and thought the idea was great. October is focused mainly on breast cancer awareness, so we want to start that same kind of awareness for prostate and testicular cancer.”
Along with just raising awareness, Stephen Johns has set up a page to donate through the Movember Foundation. Proceeds will go toward research and treatment of testicular and prostate cancer. Click here to visit the site.
Please be generous in donations and make the movement known. Guys, if your testosterone levels are up for it, grow out those mustaches and help spread awareness for an illness which has touched all of our lives in one way or another.
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class
- W. Rowing. Irish Duo At World Rowing Under 23 Championships In Italy This Week
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Players Compete In ITA Tournament At Courtney Tennis Center
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Players Face Off In ITA Tournament Finals
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- We are so excited to have 2 of the best soccer teams in the country in @NDSoccer and @NDmenSoccer! Get your @NDTix- bit.ly/1tWMbnA 2 hours ago
- RT @gamedayND: 50 days til #NDrunsIndy! You'll get an @UnderArmour race shirt and a finisher's medal (to be released soon!) Sign up! http:/… 3 hours ago
- Get a running start on your #ShamrockSeries2014 by registering for the 5k the morning of @NDFootball v Purdue! bit.ly/1jF0Or5 5 hours ago
- RT @NDBlogGonzo: I sat down with @MAX_sWELLy and he told me about his trip to the ESPYS last week. Read about it here: http://t.co/yoGcJg2e… 7 hours ago
- Today's #NDFollow goes out to @NDRecSports! Check out the Twitter accounts of @BengalBouts and @BarakaBouts #NDFamily #StrongBodiesFight 8 hours ago