Nov 9, 2012, 3:03 PM EST
While the university continues to celebrate 125 Years of Notre Dame Football throughout the season, the milestone is also bringing out the creative side of Irish fans and alums across the nation.
As we mentioned on the blog earlier in the week, Minnesota artist Tim Cortes recently finished a pair of Notre Dame themed pieces – one of which is being featured on the six home game programs.
Some Domers might also remember Peter Abowd (’88) a.k.a. The Whip, a Birmingham, Mich. native who wrote the song “100 Years” during his senior year as a tribute to Notre Dame’s celebrated football history.
Abowd joined his siblings, Paula and Anthony in penning the tune, which was released on campus with the Alumni Association and helped raise funds for the alumni clubs’ local scholarships.
Fast forward to 2012, and the former electrical engineering student has recently finished an updated version of his song.
Proceeds from “125″ will be used to raise funds for the Class of 1988′s 25-year reunion university gift, and more importantly, to benefit the Autism Society.
Autism awareness is a cause that Peter holds close to his heart, as the developmental disorder has affected his nephews.
Check out both songs on his “It’s The Whip!” ReverbNation page.
For a flashback to the original project, read this Chicago Tribune article from Sept. 1987. The Whip was also featured in Notre Dame’s student magazine (Scholastic) and newspaper, The Observer, below.
Know any other creative projects inspired by this historic Fighting Irish season? Make sure to send them our way. Tweet them to me at @NDSportsBlogger.
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Loss to Louisville Can't Diminish Irish Ties
- M. Basketball. A Battle of Unbeatens As Notre Dame Meets Providence In Hall of Fame Tipoff Tournament
- Fencing. Notre Dame Finishes Day One of Penn State Open With Three Medalists
- Football. Notre Dame Football vs. Louisville Postgame Quotes
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Louisville- Postgame Notes
- Football. Irish Fall to Louisville, 31-28
- W. Soccer. #12/11 Clash With #5 Texas A&M In NCAA Championship Third Round Sunday
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Face Holy Cross Sunday In Hall Of Fame Challenge Opener
- Cross Country. Irish Women Finish 29th At NCAA Championships, Add All-American To Ranks
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Coach Kelly is at the podium. Tune in- ntrda.me/11Oiv02 The post-game show will start immediately afterward. http://t.co/8gakoqai75 6 hours ago
- Game wrap up. @NDFootball 28 - Louisville 31 Next up: USC http://t.co/8bevQlk6Do 6 hours ago
- Join us in the alma mater #LoveTheeNotreDame 7 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Louisville downs the football for the 2nd time, ND does not have any time outs remaining. Cardinals escape with the victory… 7 hours ago
- Keep rolling #GoIrishGo 7 hours ago