Nov 23, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
So far this season, there have been a few “first since” comments about the hockey team.
For instance, this weekend Notre Dame will playing North Dakota at home for the first time since 1981. The Irish are coming off a road sweep of rival Michigan for the first time since 1978. When they face Lake Superior State Nov. 30, it will be the first time since Oct. 13 that the Irish play an unranked team.
When you have as brutal a stretch as Notre Dame has had this season, it comes with the territory.
On Friday the team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux will make the trip to South Bend for the first time since the two teams were WCHA conference foes. Since then, the two teams have only met five times – four in Grand Forks and once in the Shillelagh Tournament in Hoffman Estates, Ill.
The games on Friday and Saturday will be the 10th and 11th consecutive games against ranked opponents for Notre Dame. So far, the Irish are 6-3, coming off that sweep of Michigan in Yost Arena. As I said, the first since 1978, when team parents Kevin Nugent, Sr. and Don Lucia played for the Irish.
Don’s son, freshman Mario Lucia, actually played his first minutes for Notre Dame last weekend, recovering from a broken leg he suffered in the offseason. He scored a goal in the 4-1 victory on Friday night.
This weekend might have a little extra meaning for Lucia, since his father, Don, is the coach of Minnesota’s hockey team – the archrival of the former Fighting Sioux. Don’t be surprised if some of the North Dakota players finish their checks on Lucia a little more thoroughly this weekend.
If the Irish can take one or two from this series, they will be in good shape when they continue conference play – Notre Dame has the best conference record in the CCHA at 5-1. Head coach Jeff Jackson has said he likes scheduling difficult nonconference matchups – such as Minnesota-Duluth, Boston College, North Dakota, and Minnesota – to better prepare his team for league games.
So far, it looks like his philosophy has been successful. Notre Dame has lost two of its nonconference games, but is poised to make a run in the CCHA if successful this weekend.
The last time the Irish swept North Dakota? 1977. In a season of “first since” comments, here’s hoping for one more.
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
- W. Lacrosse. Cortney Fortunato Undeterred By High Expectations
- M. Basketball. ACC Announces Conference Opponents For 2014-15 And 2015-16 Campaigns
- Baseball. No. 11 Hurricanes Score Four In Eighth To Rally Past Irish, 6-3
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDsoftball: FINAL: NC State 6 #21 Notre Dame 2 #ndsb 8 hours ago
- Earlier today @TheACC announced the 2014-15 conference match ups bit.ly/QCAb8A Exciting times for @NDmbb... ow.ly/i/5k46L 8 hours ago
- A little late but not forgotten! @NDSportsBlogger's Tuesday’s TIFI– A Rare 66, Shipp Honored, #NDFB’s O-Line, Futbol bit.ly/1reK49N 10 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Game 2 vs. NC State Wolfpack starts now! Here's the lineup: http://t.co/8Dyk0H5PCm 11 hours ago
- Congratulations to @NDMensGolf on their team win, and Niall Platt on his individual win in the Oak Hill Intercollegiate! #GoIrishGo 11 hours ago