Nov 23, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
So far this season, there have been a few “first since” comments about the hockey team.
For instance, this weekend Notre Dame will playing North Dakota at home for the first time since 1981. The Irish are coming off a road sweep of rival Michigan for the first time since 1978. When they face Lake Superior State Nov. 30, it will be the first time since Oct. 13 that the Irish play an unranked team.
When you have as brutal a stretch as Notre Dame has had this season, it comes with the territory.
On Friday the team formerly known as the Fighting Sioux will make the trip to South Bend for the first time since the two teams were WCHA conference foes. Since then, the two teams have only met five times – four in Grand Forks and once in the Shillelagh Tournament in Hoffman Estates, Ill.
The games on Friday and Saturday will be the 10th and 11th consecutive games against ranked opponents for Notre Dame. So far, the Irish are 6-3, coming off that sweep of Michigan in Yost Arena. As I said, the first since 1978, when team parents Kevin Nugent, Sr. and Don Lucia played for the Irish.
Don’s son, freshman Mario Lucia, actually played his first minutes for Notre Dame last weekend, recovering from a broken leg he suffered in the offseason. He scored a goal in the 4-1 victory on Friday night.
This weekend might have a little extra meaning for Lucia, since his father, Don, is the coach of Minnesota’s hockey team – the archrival of the former Fighting Sioux. Don’t be surprised if some of the North Dakota players finish their checks on Lucia a little more thoroughly this weekend.
If the Irish can take one or two from this series, they will be in good shape when they continue conference play – Notre Dame has the best conference record in the CCHA at 5-1. Head coach Jeff Jackson has said he likes scheduling difficult nonconference matchups – such as Minnesota-Duluth, Boston College, North Dakota, and Minnesota – to better prepare his team for league games.
So far, it looks like his philosophy has been successful. Notre Dame has lost two of its nonconference games, but is poised to make a run in the CCHA if successful this weekend.
The last time the Irish swept North Dakota? 1977. In a season of “first since” comments, here’s hoping for one more.
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Visits #8 Indiana On Wednesday
- Football. Notre Dame and ACC Announce Future Football Games
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
- M. Tennis. Irish Doubles Squad Completes Upset Weekend To Claim USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Crown
- W. Soccer. Elizabeth Tucker from University of Notre Dame Named 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year
- M. Tennis. Irish Upset Irish, Earn Bid Into Doubles Championship At Midwest Regionals
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Places 10th In Strong Mercedes-Benz Championship Field
- W. Tennis. Top Doubles Tandem Advances To Monday's USTA/ITA Midwest Regional Championship Match
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Hey #INirish, who's coming to IU tonight to cheer on @NDmenSoccer? Game is at 7 pm ET. Hope to see you there! #GoIrish #BeatHoosiers 19 minutes ago
- RT @NDSoccer: Good Luck to @NDMenSoccer tonight vs. #8 Indiana!! #GoIrish #NDvIU #NDFamily 30 minutes ago
- Interested in seeing @NDHockey vs Niagara this weekend? 4 tickets for $40- bit.ly/2014NDHockey Use the promo code 4pack #GetYours 1 hour ago
- RT @theACC: Defending #ACC champion @NDWBB has been named as 2014-15 #ACCwbb preseason favorite: theacc.co/WBB1415poll #ACCmediaday 1 hour ago
- RT @NDcoachSachire: @NDMensTennis about to take over New York! Irish players going to meet and network with tennis alums on Wall St. http:/… 2 hours ago