Nov 27, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
Although the battle of the NDs turned out to be a split series (1-1), the Fighting Irish definitely had the advantage. The Irish lost an absolute heartbreaker to North Dakota in the first game of the series where they had a goal called off on a very controversial call. Had the goal stood, it would have tied the game up late in the third period and you better believe the Irish would have had momentum going into overtime. But the call did not go in their favor and the Irish wound up dropping the game 2-1. The second game of the series, the Irish showed their true colors. They recorded a season-high 41 shots and put 5 goals past the North Dakota net-minder, while Steven Summerhays stopped 30 of North Dakota’s 32 shots. What to take away from the match-up:
- Lee is leading by example. Anders Lee scored three goals in two games this week, and would have had four if not for the controversial call at the end of the first game. Putting up four goals in two games is no small feat, especially in Division 1 hockey. Lee has a knack for being in the right spot at the right time. He finds ways to get open for his teammates to get him the puck. And once the puck is on his stick around the net, it’s in the net. Expect more production from the Irish captain in the future.
- Keep eyes on Lucia. In his third game since returning from a broken leg, he set up a beautiful goal on the stick of Anders Lee. As a freshman, he has the poise and offensive skill to be a stand-out player. Last season with the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, Mario Lucia amounted 94 points in 56 games. Hopefully Lucia will be able to get that offensive touch back with a few more games under his belt.
- Because defensemen never get much credit. Three cheers for defensemen Kevin Lind on his 3-point night. Two assists and a cannon from the point for a short-handed goal from a defensive defenseman? The man deserves some credit.
The Irish return to CCHA play this weekend with a Friday-Saturday series against Lake Superior State. The Irish had a good Thanksgiving weekend, let’s hope they can build off it.
- W. Volleyball. The Opening Serve: Houser Named Preseason All-ACC
- Football. Notre Dame Offering Smartphone Upgrades For 2014 Fighting Irish Football Campaign
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Rice Game Notes
- Football. Coach Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Cross Country. University of Notre Dame Adds Matt Sparks As Associate Head Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country
- Track. University of Notre Dame Adds Matt Sparks As Associate Head Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country
- W. Volleyball. Meet The Volleyball Freshmen: Maddie Plumlee
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Downs #21 Wisconsin, 5-1, In Preseason Finale
- Softball. Registration Open For October's Irish Softball Pitching Academy
- General News. Notre Dame Football Partners with Vysk Communications
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- There are only a few upgrade EXPERIENCE options left for for @NDFootball vs Rice. Sign up now- irish.expapp.com. #GoIrish 10 hours ago
- We're creating a new @Spotify playlist for the @NDFootball season and we need your help! Send us the songs that make up YOUR ideal tailgate! 10 hours ago
- On Thursday at 8pm ET we are debuting our Thursday Night Classic Games, presented by @Tire_Rack. 1st game is NDFB vs Michigan, 1998 #GoIrish 11 hours ago
- We know VIRGINIA is for lovers, but it's also for Irish fans! RETWEET if you're @ProudtobeND #VAirish #NDFamily http://t.co/hMXFzRVuHZ 11 hours ago
- Haven't signed up for the #ShamrockSeries 5k? Get your registration in- bit.ly/1jF0Or5 #GoIrish 13 hours ago