Nov 29, 2012, 9:23 AM EST
Earlier this week, the Notre Dame volleyball team gathered together as one team at Club Naimoli located within the confines of the Joyce Center, hoping their season could be extended at least for one more game. It was Selection Sunday, and the Irish were anxiously awaiting whether or not they had received an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament. Coming off three consecutive losses to Marquette, South Florida (in the first round of the BIG EAST tournament) and Ohio, the regular season hadn’t ended quite the way Notre Dame expected, but a chance to play another game would be the perfect opportunity to re-right the ship.
The good news popped up shortly after 4 p.m. as the live announcement of the tournament bracket on ESPNU revealed Notre Dame (20-9) would be playing Ohio State (22-10) this Friday at 5 p.m. ET in Lexington, Ky. For the Irish, it will mark the first time since 2009 that a Debbie Brown coached squad has appeared in the NCAA tournament. Should Notre Dame advance past the Buckeyes, it will face either 16th seeded Kentucky or East Tennessee State.
Overall, Notre Dame’s body of work and strength of schedule, especially during early non-conference play, helped in securing a tournament berth. Two impact wins came against top-six RPI teams including Louisville (No. 4) in five sets on the road and Kansas (No. 6) during the Golden Dome Invitational in mid-September. The Irish should relish the underdog role throughout the tourney, as many of their wins this season have been exciting, come-from-behind victories against higher rated opponents.
The Irish are one of three BIG EAST teams competing for a national championship this season. They will be led by all-BIG EAST first team selections Toni Alugbue and Jeni Houser, along with second team selection Maggie Brindock. Further information and game notes for the first round match-up against Ohio State will be available on und.com later this week.
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Makes ACC Debut At No. 6 NC State
- M. Ice Hockey. Hockey's Second Season - Let The Postseason Begin!
- W. Tennis. Two ACC Matches This Weekend For The Irish
- M. Lacrosse. Kavanagh And O'Hara On Tewaaraton Award Watch List
- W. Lacrosse. Looking Back at Women's Lacrosse's Win at No. 4 Northwestern
- Football. 2014 Notre Dame Football Spring Practice Coverage
- M. Lacrosse. Two Routes, One Destination
- Track. Former Irish Pole Vaulter Ranked No. 9 in World
- W. Lacrosse. No. 13/10 Women's Lacrosse Upsets No. 4 Northwestern, 9-8
- W. Swimming. Eight Irish Swimmers Heading To NCAA Championships
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDFencing: We are in Detroit for the 2014 NCAA Midwest Fencing Regional! All events will be held tomorrow; we'll have live updates all … 1 hour ago
- New "Tattoo Stories" from @NDFIDM! This episode features @NDFootball's Matthias Farley- bit.ly/1hTEANM 4 hours ago
- We know @NDBaseball was postponed for today, but that doesn't mean you should postpone buying your season tickets! bit.ly/1fbwKy3 5 hours ago
- ICYMI meet @NDXCTF's Chris Giesting, @NDFIDM's Sudent Athlete of the Week- bit.ly/1otGfKs #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- RT @NDWomensTennis: .....and it's match time!! #ProtectTheEck http://t.co/jXHYyhOmEa 6 hours ago