Dec 8, 2012, 7:26 PM EST
Both the men’s and women’s swimming and diving squads closed out the fall portion of their schedules with great performances at the Hawkeye Invitational and the Ohio State Invitational, respectively.
The men claimed second place at the Hawkeye Invitational behind the number one nationally ranked Michigan Wolverines. The Irish, who are ranked 21st in the nation according to the latest College Swimming Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) poll, defeated #18 Iowa, #25 Denver and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The women, who are ranked twenty-first according to the CSCAA, saw six program records fall with dominating performances by a number of swimmers, especially sophomore Emma Reaney. Reaney did not simply break Notre Dame program records, she crushed them. Reaney reset her own 200 IM record and broke Katie Carroll’s 400 IM record from 2007 as well as Samantha Maxwell’s 100 and 200 breast records from 2009. Kim Holden also broke Kellyn Kuhlke’s 100 fly record at the meet. Finally, together Reaney, Holden, Kelly Ryan and Catherine Galletti set the sixth record as they broke the 400 medley relay record.
This weekend’s success also was evident by the number of Irish swimmers who now have top 50 times in the nation in an individual event. Click here to see the same breakdown of top 50 times before the teams’ performances at the Hawkeye and Ohio State Invitationals.
32nd – Kelly Ryan (49.57)
14th – Kim Holden (53.07)
30th – Kelly Ryan (53.67)
10th – Kelly Ryan (1:54.05)
17th – Kim Holden (1:55.06)
4th – Emma Reaney (59.38)
29th – Christen McDonough (1:01:36)
49th – Lauren Stauder (1:02.00)
3rd – Emma Reaney (2:07.60)
15th – Kim Holden (52.98)
28th – Bridget Casey (1:58.62)
4th – Emma Reaney (1:55.05)
9th – Emma Reaney (4:08.63)
19th – Frank Dyer (19.99)
32nd – Frank Dyer (44.06)
15th – Frank Dyer (1:36.27)
14th – Frank Dyer (4:20.63)
40th – Bertie Nel (1:45.99)
20th – Christopher Johnson (54.38)
38th – Zachary Stephens (55.05)
46th – Cameron Miller (55.26)
16th – Zachary Stephens (1:58.26)
29th – Jonathan Williamson (1:46.90)
33rd – Zachary Stephens (1:48.02)
37th – Colin Babcock (1:48.16)
Note: The rankings were as of Monday, December 3rd.
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Debuts At #2 In Inside Lacrosse Preseason Poll
- Football. Kelly Cares Foundation, Irish Football Donate $10,000 To Food Bank Of Northern Indiana
- W. Lacrosse. Women's Lacrosse Announces 2015 Schedule
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Huarte Celebrates 50 Years Since Heisman Trophy Win
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Picked To Defend ACC Title
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Guard Jewell Loyd Named National And Conference Player of the Week
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.