Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
At the Ohio State Invitational, sophomore swimmer Emma Reaney didn’t just break a couple of records, she smashed them and now she holds four individual records, the most for any one swimmer in Fighting Irish swimming and diving history. In a sport that is typically decided by milli-seconds, Reaney crushed the previous 400 IM and 200 breaststroke records while also re-setting her own 200 IM record and narrowly breaking the 100 breaststroke record. What was most surprising about Reaney’s accomplishment was how fast she went so early in the season. The Irish are only roughly one-half of the way through the season and Reaney is already well on her way to a remarkable sophomore season.
“It is so nice to know that we are in a good spot so early in the season, especially mentally,” said Reaney. “Our sport has such a long season and if we know what we are doing is working as early as December, it makes us that much more excited for what we’re going to do at BIG EAST and NCAAs.”
Reaney started off the meet by re-setting her own 200 IM record with her performance of 1:55.05, bettering her old mark of 1:55.67. Reaney considers the 200 IM to be her “baby.”
“I got my Olympic Trial cut in that event at age 15,” explained Reaney, “and we’ve been inseparable ever since.”
Reaney then wrapped up the first night of the meet in style when she teamed up with Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan and Catherine Galletti and broke the previous Notre Dame 400 medley relay record of 3:35.89 with a 3:35.16 performance.
The relay performance was also an A-cut time, which means that the entire relay will be guaranteed a spot at the National Championships, which is a huge relief for the Irish swimmers and giant step for the Notre Dame program.
“Last year was kind of hectic waiting to find out if Kelly and I had made the cut, so knowing that we already have 4 people going is such a relief,” stated Reaney, “I had so much fun at NCAAs last year with just Kelly and I and I can’t wait to share it with as many ND swimmers as possible this year.”
“Samantha [Maxwell] is an incredibly hard-working and dedicated individual,” Reaney said, “I’m honored to have been the next in line after someone so awesome. I am so proud to be a part of what’s going on here. I love this school with all my heart and it just makes it that much better that my name will be in the record books and my team and I will be another piece of Notre Dame swimming history.”
Reaney concluded the meet by breaking Samantha Maxwell’s 200 breaststroke record in a time of 2:07.60, bettering the old mark of 2:09.62. The 200 breaststroke is quickly becoming a favorite event of Reaney as it emphasizes her specialty, which is the breaststroke pullout
The football team won’t be the only Notre Dame team in Miami this break as the Irish women’s swimming and diving squad will be conducting its training trip there as well. The training trip is a great time for the team to focus just on swimming and not have to worry about the academic rigors of a typical Notre Dame semester.
“We will get to hang out in the warm Miami weather, read books for fun, go shopping, and swim without worrying about school or anything,” explained Reaney, “We all get really focused on our respective goals during the training trip and it is an essential part of preparing for a championship season.”
Reaney and the Irish will resume their meet schedule when they host Michigan and Northwestern on January 12th.
- M. Basketball. At Home On The Farm And On The Hardwood
- Track. A Long-Distance Runner With An Impressive Past
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Down #10 Duke, 69-53, For ACC Title
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 6 NC State in Series Finale, 7-0
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Gets First ACC Win Against No. 25 Florida State
- Softball. #22/21 Irish Blank Georgia Tech 12-0 To Win First ACC Series
- M. Golf. Irish Begin Spring Slate At San Diego Classic Monday
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Meet #10 Duke Sunday In ACC Championship Game
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Advance In Hockey East Playoffs With 3-2 Win Over Boston University
- Baseball. No. 6 Wolfpack Sweep Irish In Saturday ACC Action
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- New UNDerground blog from @NDLacrosse! bit.ly/1dI4ao2 Two Routes, One Destination By @JrNDBloggers Anna Gonzalez ('16) 2 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: Congrats to @EAtkins0 on earning honorable mention honors as voted upon by ACSMA (Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association). 3 hours ago
- .@NDwomensTennis Gets 1st @TheACC Win Against #25 Florida St bit.ly/1qpgy1x #GoIrish #IrishACC 3 hours ago
- RT @NDWomensLax: Richmond, VA here come the Irish! #springbreak #businesstrip 4 hours ago
- RT @NotreDame: @ndwbb We can't say you dream small - Congratulations on @theACC Championship! #32and0 4 hours ago