Dec 29, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The only big football game in the month of February is the Super Bowl, but on the first Wednesday of the month, college football steals the spotlight for a few hours once again. National Signing Day fell on Feb. 1 this year, and Fighting Irish Digital Media carried all the action live on UND.com.
But Signing Day wasn’t the only time we heard from the Notre Dame football team. During the basketball and hockey seasons, several members of the team emerged as Irish superfans. Led by Kapron Lewis-Moore, they were often spotted courtside at Purcell or against the glass in Compton, going crazy with the rest of the student section.
The team’s presence was particularly evident on Feb. 22 against West Virginia (men’s basketball) and Feb. 24 versus Michigan State (hockey).
On Saturdays in the fall, they may reach a celebrity status, playing in front of 80,795 and millions more on national television. But this week, the Irish football players themselves were the ones in the crowd, reminding us that at the end of the day, they’re students and fans, just like the rest of us.
After being courtside at Purcell Pavilion for the men’s basketball game on Wednesday, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Mike Golic Jr., Matt Mulvey and Mike Grieco were right against the glass cheering on their fellow student-athletes.
Sporting the same floppy hat that intimidated the Mountaineers earlier in the week, Lewis-Moore may have also earned himself a spot on the Notre Dame cheerleading squad. The senior defensive end raised a big yellow “Go Irish!” sign and rallied the Notre Dame student body throughout the evening.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the pool, freshman Nick Nemetz dominated at the BIG EAST Championships, sweeping the 1- and 3-meter diving events.
It was a big weekend in the pool for Notre Dame freshman Nick Nemetz. The Ann Arbor, Mich. native took home a pair of titles at the BIG EAST Conference Diving Championships, winning the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the University of Pittsburgh’s Trees Pool.
Nemetz won his first career collegiate title on Friday evening, by posting a 325.15 in the 3-meter event. He became the third consecutive Irish diver to win the event, following on the heels of Nathan Geary in 2011 and Wes Villafor in 2010. Nemetz also became the first freshman diver in Notre Dame history to win a league title.
Read the rest of the post here.
Elsewhere, the men’s basketball team pushed its winning streak to nine games, thanks in part to an incredible 20-point comeback at Villanova.
- Baseball. Irish Travel To Coral Gables For Showdown With Top-20 Miami
- Track. Both Teams Finish Day Two Of The ACCs In Eighth Place
- Softball. Perfection From Winter Leads #21/22 Irish To Day One Sweep Of Virginia
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Team In Seventh Heading Into Final Round Of ACC Championship
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Travels To Play Syracuse
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame to Take On Boston College This Weekend
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish In Michigan For ACC/Big Ten Challenge On Saturday
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDsoftball: Irish improve to 28-9 (8-4 in ACC) and take the series vs. Virginia. Series finale tomorrow at 12pm. #ndsb 12 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: FINAL: #21 Notre Dame 12 Virginia 1 #ndsb 12 hours ago
- RT @NDMensGolf: Almost in Rochester! http://t.co/Mo7AaGlTrK 12 hours ago
- For all the updates, make sure you are following @NDsoftball @NDXCTF and @NDwomensGolf #GamesInProgress #GoIrish 13 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Here's the Irish lineup for Game 2 vs. Virginia: http://t.co/iPzanwbwzt 13 hours ago