Dec 29, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
It’s often said that “March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb.” While I don’t know the origin of that particular phrase, I can tell you one thing – it was a wild month for the Fighting Irish. Here are some of the highlights.
On Senior Night at Purcell Pavilion, Notre Dame inducted Adrian Dantley as the fourth honoree in the Ring of Honor.
A little over a week later, when many Irish fans were probably watching men’s basketball in the BIG EAST semifinals, the Notre Dame distance medley relay team won a national championship in Nampa, Idaho. The squad of Johnathan Shawel, Chris Giesting, Randall Babb and Jeremy Rae crossed the line in 9:35.48 to earn the school’s first indoor relay title.
At Arlotta Stadium, the men’s lacrosse team won a 10-9 triple overtime thriller against Denver, a game that was well documented in the Inside the Walls of Arlotta special.
The football team kicked off spring practice on Mar. 21, about a month before the 83rd annual Blue-Gold Game.
In its BIG EAST opener, the baseball team sat through a two-hour delay before playing Pittsburgh at Frank Eck Stadium. For the few faithful fans who waited through the rain on that Friday evening, it was well worth the wait, as Ryan Bull‘s walk-off home run lifted Notre Dame to a 6-5 win.
In fact, radio announcer Chuck Freeby came into the press box before the Irish half of the ninth inning and said something along the lines of, “There won’t be a postgame show, even when Bull hits a walk-off here.”
Fortunately for IU [basketball] fans (and the devoted Irish fans who stuck around), Freeby was dead-on about how the game would end. Bull came through, and crushed Wilt’s second pitch of the inning over the “330″ sign in right field.
In my time covering football, whether at Notre Dame or elsewhere, the media is often reminded, ‘No cheering in the press box.’
Well if that etiquette exists in college baseball, it went out the window tonight.
Read the rest of the post here.
Frank Dyer placed fourth in the 200 freestyle (1:34.00) at the NCAA Championships to become the first Irish swimmer to earn All-America honors.
Last but not least, after beating Maryland in the regional final, the Notre Dame women’s basketball team locked up its second consecutive trip to the Final Four.
- M. Soccer. Matt Besler And United States Lead Hexagonal With Four Matches Left
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish Legends - Lou Holtz and Mark May
Length: 4:25 | June 13, 2013
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Summer Trip to Europe 2013 - Notre Dame Volleyball
Length: 3:01 | June 10, 2013
Eric Jagielo - 26th pick, MLB Draft to NY Yankees
Length: 0:44 | June 7, 2013
- RT @ndwbb: Check out our freshman @TheRealKoko50 @ShineLikeMe35 @LA_Cruisen @Busta_Reimes after their 1st day of school at ND🍀 http://t.co/… 18 minutes ago
- Thurs is Blue-Gold Day at @Meijer on Grape Road, 5:30pm. @CoachBrianKelly will be signing autographs and you can win football tickets! 13 hours ago
- .@NDwomensLax was invited to the NCAA Tournament in May, facing Stanford in the first round bit.ly/12gFzOL 15 hours ago
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Mike Brey at the ND Basketball Camp. Excellent camp and leadership provided by the ND staff!! #NDNation http://t.co/ta… 16 hours ago
- In May, 4 @NDwomensLax standouts were named 1st Team All-BIG EAST, the most in school history bit.ly/104ZAoL #GoIrish 16 hours ago