Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads No. 6 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Irish Clip No. 24 Cowboys 4-3 In ITA Kick-Off Opener
- M. Basketball. #8/9 Notre Dame Travels To NC State For Sunday Showdown
- M. Ice Hockey. Late Goal Lifts Northeastern Past Notre Dame, 3-2
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Mabrey Helps Irish East Past Georgia Tech
- Baseball. IRISH EXTRA: The Influence of a Baseball Hall of Famer
- M. Basketball. Irish Extra: Irish Breeze in Blacksburg
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Time for Game 2 between @NDHockey and Northeastern! Listen in on @WatchND- ntrda.me/1uGO2y2 #GoIrish #BeatHuskies 12 hours ago
- RT @NDcoachSachire: Wow. Another amazing win for @NDMensTennis! 4-3 over a really good Oklahoma State team. #NDGrit #Irish 12 hours ago
- RT @NDFabFive: Big 4-3 win over OK State today, thanks to everyone who came out to #ProtectTheEck See you tomorrow at 1 for the finals agai… 12 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: Here is the halftime infographic! http://t.co/gPN9Q6TuUZ 12 hours ago
- Time for @NDwbb to take on Clemson! We have the audio on @WatchND- ntrda.me/1BnppFQ #GoIrish #BeatTigers 14 hours ago