Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Opens Fall Schedule With Two Invitationals
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Women First, Men Second At National Catholic Championships
- W. Volleyball. Irish Take Down Saint Louis, 3-1; Complete Friday Sweep
- M. Soccer. Bobby Clark's Coaching Connections
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Outlasts Morehead State, 3-2, Friday Afternoon
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Tangle With #9/8 North Carolina Saturday
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @GoIrish: .@LepLegion some great giveaways for a great @NDSoccer game tonight. Get there early for your scarf and chipotle gift card! #C… 29 minutes ago
- Plans for tonight? #ComeByAlumni to watch @NDSoccer take on UNC. Here's what the team has to say about the match up ntrda.me/1teL2W8 58 minutes ago
- A new piece from @NDFIDM- @NDmenSoccer's Bobby Clark's Coaching Family Tree- ntrda.me/1ykg2ID We love the interconnectivity #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- RT @NDIrishEyes: Who's coming to watch @NDSoccer take on North Carolina at 7pm tonight? Think we can break 3000? Andre 3000 does. http://t.… 2 hours ago
- #VAirish- don't forget that @NDmenSoccer is playing UVA Sunday at 12pm ET. We'd love to see a big cheering section for our Irish! #NDFamily 2 hours ago