Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EST
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- Cross Country. Irish Focus On Continuing Progression At NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Russo Now Ready at Both Ends
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 3-1 Decision To UMass Lowell In Hockey East Action
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life
- Football. Changing Course
- Football. Irish Extra: Luke Picks Up the Pace
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet UMass And Providence This Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ND Students and @LepLegion: Grab your @sprint Pom-Poms in the student section for @NDFootball vs Louisville #GoIrish http://t.co/KPRhrKpwS8 6 minutes ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Great interviews with seniors @acollinsworth28 and @MatthiasFarley at today's @NDFootball luncheon. #MonogramFamily http://… 46 minutes ago
- Coming to campus? Don't forget to visit @GameDayND for updates on parking, events, and the bag policy- ntrda.me/GameDayUpdate #NDFollow 1 hour ago
- New Strong & True- @NDwbb's former Dir of Ops, Katie Schwab and her fight with Type 1 diabetes. Watch: ntrda.me/1taiTMF #NDFamily 2 hours ago
- Hope to see you on campus tonight for @NDwbb, the @NDFootball Pep Rally, @NDHockey, and @NDVolleyball #GoIrish 3 hours ago