Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Upended At #8 Indiana, 1-0
- Football. Three From Notre Dame on NFF Hall of Fame Ballot
- W. Volleyball. Alugbue Makes Broadcasting Debut In Irish Win Over BC
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish, #20 Clemson Bring A Postseason Feel To Alumni Stadium Thursday
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Earns Top Spot In 2014-15 ACC Preseason Women's Basketball Polls
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Visits #8 Indiana On Wednesday
- Football. Notre Dame and ACC Announce Future Football Games
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: HALFTIME: ND 0, #8 IU 1; Shots 10-1 IU; SOG 5-1 IU; CK 4-1 IU #NDvsIU 5 hours ago
- It's a bye week but we don't stop with the fan fun! RETWEET to win a @Vyskcomm iPhone case- vysk.com/experience-pri… http://t.co/5JFarTHCRX 5 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Thanks @BlueAngels! Experience of a lifetime and great to reconnect with former player Lt. Cmdr. John Hiltz @jphiltz2 http:… 6 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDmenSoccer vs Indiana! Make sure you are following the team account and @NDsidSean for updates. #GoIrish #BeatHoosiers 6 hours ago
- .@NDSoccer's Liz Tucker was always going to be #NCAAWOTY in the eyes of Maria Bennett, her Fight For Life friend- ntrda.me/1vN17DO 10 hours ago