Dec 30, 2012, 1:45 PM EDT
With summer in full swing, July was one of the quieter months on campus, though several current and former Irish athletes were busy away from Notre Dame.
Golfer Ashley Armstrong competed in the U.S. Open.
Sophomore Ashley Armstrong will spend her July 4th holiday preparing for the U.S. Women’s Golf Open, which kicks off on Thursday at Blackwolf Run in Kohler, Wis.
The Flossmore, Ill., native was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Year and will be among 26 amateurs and three golfers with Notre Dame connections, in the 156-player field.
Read the rest of the post here.
Across the pond, thirteen athletes with ties to Notre Dame represented their countries in the 2012 Summer Olympics. At the Opening Ceremony, fencer Mariel Zagunis received one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon an Olympian.
As you have probably heard by now, former Irish fencer and NCAA champion Mariel Zagunis was chosen to bear the flag and lead Team U.S.A. into Olympic Stadium at today’s Opening Ceremony in London. In 2004, Zagunis became the first American in 100 years to win fencing gold. Four years later in Beijing, she captured the sabre gold medal for a second time and on August 1, she’ll try for her third in a row.
But before the Beaverton, Ore. native goes for the gold again, she will have the incredible opportunity to lead her country into the Games of the XXX Olympiad. On Wednesday, the United States Olympic Committee announced that Zagunis had been chosen by a vote of her fellow U.S.A. teammates. Notre Dame fans and alums are taking a lot of pride in knowing that “one of their own” was selected for such a tremendous honor, but the announcement has also created a lot of buzz nationally.
Read the rest of the post here.
In the Windy City, Intersport announced plans for the Hockey City Classic. The Notre Dame hockey team will take to the ice on Feb. 17 at Soldier Field against Miami (OH).
Muffet McGraw signed a ten-year contract extension, keeping her at the helm of the women’s basketball program through the 2021-22 season.
- Baseball. Irish Fall To No. 11 Miami, 3-2, In Late Hurricane Rally
- Track. Women Place Second, Men Third At Notre Dame's First-Ever Outdoor ACC Championships
- W. Lacrosse. No. 9 Women's Lacrosse Loses to No. 1 Syracuse, 18-10
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish Close Competition At ACC/Big Ten Challenge
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame Beats Syracuse In Last Match Of Regular Season
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Dominates Boston College In Final Match Of Regular Season
- W. Golf. Women's Golf Finishes Tied For Fifth At First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Lacrosse. #5 Maryland Uses Late Surge To Get By #8 Notre Dame, 12-8
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Win Wild Saturday Showdown With Virginia
- W. Lacrosse. Kaitlyn Brosco's Experience Boosts Notre Dame's Attack
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDBaseball: Irish Win! Huge victory over #11 Miami, 7-4 ... 1st ACC road win in school history ... 1st ranked win since beating #10 Okl… 2 hours ago
- Keep up with @NDBaseball vs Miami by following them on Twitter #GameInProgress #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDBaseball in their Game 2 vs #25 Miami! Tune in here on ESPN3- bit.ly/1r3F4od #GoIrish #BeatHurricanes 5 hours ago
- RT @NDsidRuss: .@Mr_JoeyCresta and @scottysideburns show off the @NDBaseball throwback jerseys for Sunday night's game at #11 Miami. http:/… 5 hours ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Irish starting lineup against No. 11 Miami - game 2 up next on @ESPN3 and @WatchND. http://t.co/dimezZmhqW 5 hours ago