Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM EDT
Though most seasons were finished by the time June came around, it was nevertheless a busy month for the Fighting Irish.
Student-athletes took part in summer session classes, with many enrolled in a course called “Career Development Through Community Engagement,” where they spent time giving back to those in the Michiana area.
Back on campus, the Kelly Cares Foundation welcomed a large crowd to the LaBar Practice Complex for the third annual Football 101 event to benefit breast cancer prevention, awareness and early detection initiatives.
Notre Dame also held its annual football fantasy camp. Around 50 of the biggest Irish fans from across the country came to South Bend to experience firsthand what it’s like to be a Notre Dame football player. Heisman Trophy winners Johnny Lattner and Tim Brown were among the many former stars who returned as guest coaches/speakers.
It was a big month for Irish basketball too, as Mike Brey received a long-term contract extension.
On the track, pole vaulter Mary Saxer (’09) competed for a spot on the United States Olympic team.
For 2009 graduate Mary Saxer (@SaxDefyGravity), dreams of representing the United States at the 2012 Summer Olympics came to a heartbreaking halt on Sunday in Eugene, Ore.
Saxer tied Lacy Janson for third place with a top mark of 14 feet, 9 inches, but missed out on qualifying for London based on the tiebreaker rules. (Janson had fewer missed attempts in the event.)
She is set as the team’s alternate, so there is a small chance she could end up on the team, but more than likely, her hopes of wearing the red, white & blue on the sport’s biggest stage will have to wait. Her next opportunity would be at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
Read the rest of the post here.
The Irish softball team presented a check for more than $25,000 to South Bend’s Memorial Hospital. The money was raised at the Strike Out Cancer event held earlier in the season.
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Upended At #8 Indiana, 1-0
- Football. Three From Notre Dame on NFF Hall of Fame Ballot
- W. Volleyball. Alugbue Makes Broadcasting Debut In Irish Win Over BC
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish, #20 Clemson Bring A Postseason Feel To Alumni Stadium Thursday
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Earns Top Spot In 2014-15 ACC Preseason Women's Basketball Polls
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Visits #8 Indiana On Wednesday
- Football. Notre Dame and ACC Announce Future Football Games
- M. Swimming. With Bonfires Comes Team Bonding
- W. Tennis. Irish Wrap Up Competition At Midwest Regionals
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Irish Have The Right Road Formula
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: HALFTIME: ND 0, #8 IU 1; Shots 10-1 IU; SOG 5-1 IU; CK 4-1 IU #NDvsIU 10 hours ago
- It's a bye week but we don't stop with the fan fun! RETWEET to win a @Vyskcomm iPhone case- vysk.com/experience-pri… http://t.co/5JFarTHCRX 10 hours ago
- RT @NDMikeBrey: Thanks @BlueAngels! Experience of a lifetime and great to reconnect with former player Lt. Cmdr. John Hiltz @jphiltz2 http:… 11 hours ago
- Good luck to @NDmenSoccer vs Indiana! Make sure you are following the team account and @NDsidSean for updates. #GoIrish #BeatHoosiers 11 hours ago
- .@NDSoccer's Liz Tucker was always going to be #NCAAWOTY in the eyes of Maria Bennett, her Fight For Life friend- ntrda.me/1vN17DO 15 hours ago