Dec 30, 2012, 11:56 AM EST
Though most seasons were finished by the time June came around, it was nevertheless a busy month for the Fighting Irish.
Student-athletes took part in summer session classes, with many enrolled in a course called “Career Development Through Community Engagement,” where they spent time giving back to those in the Michiana area.
Back on campus, the Kelly Cares Foundation welcomed a large crowd to the LaBar Practice Complex for the third annual Football 101 event to benefit breast cancer prevention, awareness and early detection initiatives.
Notre Dame also held its annual football fantasy camp. Around 50 of the biggest Irish fans from across the country came to South Bend to experience firsthand what it’s like to be a Notre Dame football player. Heisman Trophy winners Johnny Lattner and Tim Brown were among the many former stars who returned as guest coaches/speakers.
It was a big month for Irish basketball too, as Mike Brey received a long-term contract extension.
On the track, pole vaulter Mary Saxer (’09) competed for a spot on the United States Olympic team.
For 2009 graduate Mary Saxer (@SaxDefyGravity), dreams of representing the United States at the 2012 Summer Olympics came to a heartbreaking halt on Sunday in Eugene, Ore.
Saxer tied Lacy Janson for third place with a top mark of 14 feet, 9 inches, but missed out on qualifying for London based on the tiebreaker rules. (Janson had fewer missed attempts in the event.)
She is set as the team’s alternate, so there is a small chance she could end up on the team, but more than likely, her hopes of wearing the red, white & blue on the sport’s biggest stage will have to wait. Her next opportunity would be at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
Read the rest of the post here.
The Irish softball team presented a check for more than $25,000 to South Bend’s Memorial Hospital. The money was raised at the Strike Out Cancer event held earlier in the season.
- M. Basketball. No. 12 Notre Dame at NC State: Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. No. 8 Notre Dame Rallies Past NC State in Overtime, 81-78
- Fencing. Irish Return To Form At NYU Invitational
- Track. Irish Extra: Giesting Sets the Pace
- M. Tennis. No. 14 Notre Dame Falls To No. 16 Columbia, 4-2, In ITA Kick-Off Championship
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #6/5 Notre Dame 74, Clemson 36
- M. Ice Hockey. Notre Dame Falls at Northeastern, 4-2
- W. Basketball. Loyd Leads #6/5 Notre Dame to 74-36 Win Over Clemson
- Fencing. Notre Dame Women's Fencers Off to Strong Start, Men Struggle at St. John's Invitational
- Track. Irish Women Finish Second, Giesting Sets School Record At Notre Dame Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @theACCDN: Zach Auguste really got the @FightingIrish going with this slam! ow.ly/3vSgeC 9 hours ago
- RT @NDmbb: GIVE US TWO CLAPS AND A RIC FLAIR! 👏👏 - WOOOO!! FINAL INFOGRAPHIC #8 ND 81 - NCSU 78 ND now 4-1 when trailing @ HT http://t.c… 10 hours ago
- RT @LepLegion: HOLY COW! What a win on the road for @NDmbb! We will see EVERYONE on Wednesday when Duke comes to town. #DefendPurcell #GoIr… 10 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: Gooooooootttttttt itttttttttt 10 hours ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Way to go @NDmbb! Truly showing what 'tho the odds be great o'er small, old Notre Dame will win over all! 10 hours ago