Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM EDT
With the academic year winding down, May was a month for recognizing students’ achievements over the past four years.
As is tradition when the team is still in the NCAA tournament, the men’s lacrosse program held its own graduation ceremony on the road.
This year, twelve seniors graduated at the Our Lady of Good Counsel Chapel on the Malvern Prep campus. Rev. James R. Flynn, O.S.A., the Head of School, said Mass, with the help of three Malvern students (and future Domers) who served as altar servers and lectors.
At the end of Mass, head coach Kevin Corrigan said a few words and introduced John Delaney (’78), a Philadelphia assistant district attorney and the president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, to give the commencement address.
Delaney spoke about four characteristics of the university – faith, vision, passion and family. He talked about Father Sorin’s vision in founding Notre Dame, as well as the lifelong familial bond that the graduating Irish will not only have with their teammates, but with the university.
Read the rest of the post here.
Likewise, the softball team was playing in Tucson, Ariz. during the commencement festivities on campus. When they returned, the Irish recognized four student-athletes in a small ceremony at Club Naimoli in Purcell Pavilion.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Read the rest of the post here.
While Notre Dame said goodbye to most of its senior student-athletes in May, the men’s basketball team received some good news that allowed one to stick around for another season, as the NCAA granted graduate student forward Scott Martin a sixth year of eligibility.
The women’s team welcomed back two-time All-American Beth Cunningham (’97), who was named associate coach on May 1.
- W. Volleyball. The Opening Serve: Houser Named Preseason All-ACC
- Football. Notre Dame Offering Smartphone Upgrades For 2014 Fighting Irish Football Campaign
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Rice Game Notes
- Football. Coach Kelly Press Conference Transcript
- Cross Country. University of Notre Dame Adds Matt Sparks As Associate Head Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country
- Track. University of Notre Dame Adds Matt Sparks As Associate Head Coach for Track and Field/Cross Country
- W. Volleyball. Meet The Volleyball Freshmen: Maddie Plumlee
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Downs #21 Wisconsin, 5-1, In Preseason Finale
- Softball. Registration Open For October's Irish Softball Pitching Academy
- General News. Notre Dame Football Partners with Vysk Communications
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- There are only a few upgrade EXPERIENCE options left for for @NDFootball vs Rice. Sign up now- irish.expapp.com. #GoIrish 8 hours ago
- We're creating a new @Spotify playlist for the @NDFootball season and we need your help! Send us the songs that make up YOUR ideal tailgate! 8 hours ago
- On Thursday at 8pm ET we are debuting our Thursday Night Classic Games, presented by @Tire_Rack. 1st game is NDFB vs Michigan, 1998 #GoIrish 9 hours ago
- We know VIRGINIA is for lovers, but it's also for Irish fans! RETWEET if you're @ProudtobeND #VAirish #NDFamily http://t.co/hMXFzRVuHZ 9 hours ago
- Haven't signed up for the #ShamrockSeries 5k? Get your registration in- bit.ly/1jF0Or5 #GoIrish 10 hours ago