Dec 30, 2012, 9:34 AM EST
With the academic year winding down, May was a month for recognizing students’ achievements over the past four years.
As is tradition when the team is still in the NCAA tournament, the men’s lacrosse program held its own graduation ceremony on the road.
This year, twelve seniors graduated at the Our Lady of Good Counsel Chapel on the Malvern Prep campus. Rev. James R. Flynn, O.S.A., the Head of School, said Mass, with the help of three Malvern students (and future Domers) who served as altar servers and lectors.
At the end of Mass, head coach Kevin Corrigan said a few words and introduced John Delaney (’78), a Philadelphia assistant district attorney and the president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association, to give the commencement address.
Delaney spoke about four characteristics of the university – faith, vision, passion and family. He talked about Father Sorin’s vision in founding Notre Dame, as well as the lifelong familial bond that the graduating Irish will not only have with their teammates, but with the university.
Read the rest of the post here.
Likewise, the softball team was playing in Tucson, Ariz. during the commencement festivities on campus. When they returned, the Irish recognized four student-athletes in a small ceremony at Club Naimoli in Purcell Pavilion.
After their degrees were conferred, each of the student-athletes delivered a few heartfelt words to the audience, fighting back tears, but also adding some humor, while reflecting on all they have learned and thanking those who have helped them along the way.
Chuck Lennon (’61), former executive director of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and Rev. Tom Doyle, C.S.C., Vice President for Student Affairs spoke at the event, along with Rev. Paul Doyle, C.S.C., rector of Dillon Hall and Monogram Club chaplain, who delivered the invocation and a final blessing.
Read the rest of the post here.
While Notre Dame said goodbye to most of its senior student-athletes in May, the men’s basketball team received some good news that allowed one to stick around for another season, as the NCAA granted graduate student forward Scott Martin a sixth year of eligibility.
The women’s team welcomed back two-time All-American Beth Cunningham (’97), who was named associate coach on May 1.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Grant Leads No. 8 Notre Dame to 77-73 Victory Over Duke
- M. Lacrosse. Three Fighting Irish Players Selected In MLL Draft
- Softball. Koerner, Wester Named To 2015 USA Softball Collegiate Player Of The Year Watch List
- W. Basketball. #4 Irish Reach Midpoint Of ACC Schedule Thursday At Virginia Tech
- M. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's And Women's Lacrosse Tickets On Sale
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Men's And Women's Lacrosse Tickets On Sale
- Track. Meet The Coaches: Jumping High In The Coaching Game
- Fencing. Notre Dame Sweeps ACC Fencer of the Week Accolades
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDJackNolan: .@VB3ND VJ Beachem is the player guest on tonight's @NDMikeBrey radio show 7pm at O'Rourke's. Come on out and meet VJ and … 54 minutes ago
- Not in the area but want to listen to @NDMikeBrey & @NDJackNolan break down Duke? @WatchND has you covered ntrda.me/1z761hc #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- RT @NDBaseball: First official look at one of our new @UABaseball jerseys coincides nicely with 15 days until start of '15 season! http://t… 1 hour ago
- Perfect dinner plans- @NDMikeBrey Radio Show at O'Rourke's! Listen to Coach & @NDJackNolan talk the win over Duke. http://t.co/xIbCoaMvYd 1 hour ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Working on the FUNdamentals today at practice #IrishAtWork instagram.com/p/yc5wTOAmyd/ 1 hour ago