Dec 31, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
December was a quiet month in terms of games being played, but it certainly doesn’t mean things slowed down for the Fighting Irish.
On Dec. 2, the Notre Dame players, coaches and staff celebrated their berth in the national championship with a BCS watch party at the Gug. The matchup with #2 Alabama, set for one week from tonight, is sure to be one of the most watched games in college football history.
The next morning, Manti Te’o began collecting more hardware than allowed through TSA checkpoints. In total, Te’o picked up eight trophies and traveled nearly 10,000 miles during the week. He earned more points than any other defensive-only player in Heisman Trophy history, and finished second behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.
The football team’s postseason awards show was held on the Friday while Te’o was in New York, and though he couldn’t be present to receive his MVP award, Fighting Irish Digital Media configured a satellite feed so the senior linebacker could say a few words to his teammates and coaches.
Te’o wasn’t the only member of the 12-0 Irish to receive national accolades in December. Tyler Eifert won the Mackey Award and Brian Kelly took home numerous Coach of the Year honors.
At the second annual Close The Gap Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis, the men’s basketball team defeated Purdue.
Two weeks later, the women’s team took care of the Boilermakers easily, 74-47.
Before I set out to write these 2012 review blog posts, I knew it was a wild year for Notre Dame athletics. Having spent some time this week looking more closely at the past 365 days, I’ve realized just how crazy 2012 was for the Fighting Irish.
It’s hard to imagine the upcoming year being more eventful than this past one was, but I suppose there’s no telling what’s in store for Notre Dame and its fans.
One thing is for certain – 2013 kicks off with a bang seven days from now in South Beach.
Go Irish. Beat Bama.
- Football. Brian Kelly Season-Opening Press Conference Transcript
- M. Soccer. Irish Soccer Meet The Teams Fan Event Set For Aug. 9
- W. Soccer. Irish Soccer Meet The Teams Fan Event Set For Aug. 9
- Football. Coach Kelly Preseason Practice Kickoff Press Conference
- M. Basketball. Finding Redemption
- M. Ice Hockey. Anders Bjork Signs National Letter-Of-Intent To Play Hockey For The Irish
- Baseball. HitTrax Technology Takes Irish Into Next Level Of Player Evaluation
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- ICYMI @NDTheLeprechaun makes an impassioned plea for @JimmyFallon to accept him & @Cuse Otto's #ACCvsFallon challenge bit.ly/1uQ2Nxw 3 hours ago
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: My personal plea to @FallonTonight's @JimmyFallon bit.ly/1uQ2Nxw Here's @Cuse Otto's bit.ly/1oWHKVN … 5 hours ago
- .@NDMonogram's Raffle is open! @NDFootball tickets for Michigan and Stanford are up for grabs- bit.ly/1nEc6Mp #GetYours 6 hours ago
- Did you see @NDTheLeprechaun's personal plea to @FallonTonight's @JimmyFallon? bit.ly/1uQ2Nxw C'mon Jimmy, #ACCept #ACCvsFallon 7 hours ago
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: We've got songs, now @JimmyFallon needs to #ACCept our challenge! Me bit.ly/1uQ2Nxw Otto http://t.co/e9cP6GL… 7 hours ago