Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- M. Golf. Irish Move Up To Sixth Place After Solid Round Two At Windon Memorial
- M. Tennis. Monaghan Knocks Off No. 6 Jared Hiltzik Sunday In Illinois
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Draws At #5 Virginia, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- Compton Family Ice Arena. IRISH EXTRA:Compton Family Ice Arena Draws Raves from the Chicago Blackhawks
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Lessons From The North Carolina Match
- W. Volleyball. No. 11 Purdue Takes Down Notre Dame, 3-0
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Continues Play At Fighting Illini Invitational And Farnsworth Ivy Invitational
- W. Soccer. #18/12 Irish Drop 2OT Heartbreaker To #9/8 North Carolina, 3-2
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Blackhawk's Stephen Johns Feeling Right At Home At Notre Dame
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Don't forget that voting for Student Athlete of the Week goes until 12 pm ET tomorrow. Get those votes in- ntrda.me/NDsocialpoll #GoIrish 15 minutes ago
- Visit @stjoemed's ThisCounts.org to learn more about how you can join the movement & become more physically active in our community. 1 hour ago
- .@stjoemed is giving away 2 tickets to @NDFootball vs Stanford- ntrda.me/ThisCountsNDtix Contest closes on Friday! http://t.co/zWLzSu5MFA 1 hour ago
- RT @NDTIX: @NDFootball vs Stanford tix just released! Click the link to get yours now: bit.ly/1poUUqo #GoIrish 1 hour ago
- It's @NDFIDM's The FIX! Catch up on all of the weekend's Irish action- ntrda.me/ZD8rp9 #GoIrish 2 hours ago