Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- Baseball. Eric Jagielo Takes Home BIG EAST Player Of The Year Award As Irish Total Five All-BIG EAST Honorees
- W. Rowing. Irish Selected To NCAA Championship For Second Straight Season
- M. Swimming. Tallman Named CollegeSwimming.Com Assistant Coach Of The Year
- Track. Irish Set For 2013 NCAA East Regional
- W. Soccer. Notre Dame Announces 2013 Women's Soccer Schedule
- M. Soccer. San Jose To South Bend: Dillon Powers Aims To Attend Notre Dame Commencement Ceremony
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Notre Dame Drops 12-11 Decision To #7 Duke In NCAA Quarterfinals
- W. Rowing. Irish Claim Five Grand Final Titles To Earn 10th Consecutive BIG EAST Championship
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Open 2013 BIG EAST Tournament As No. 7 Seed
- Baseball. Irish Drop Regular Season, Series Finale At Cincinnati, 11-5
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish defeat Seton Hall 5-0 - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 2:45 | May 22, 2013
Eric Jagielo and Blaise Lezynski Interview - Notre Dame Baseball
Length: 3:18 | May 22, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Leading Team Out ND Stadium Tunnel
Length: 1:21 | May 22, 2013
10th Consecutive Big East Championship - Rowing
Length: 2:01 | May 22, 2013
- RT @NDMensTennis: Greg will play at 9 a.m. ET Thursday against USC's Ray Sarmiento (No. 16) ... follow the action at championship... http:/… 2 hours ago
- Why should you vote for @NotreDameRowing for team of the Week? row2k.com #BigEastSwag 3 hours ago
- RT @NDsidBertschy: Adam Norton with 3rd complete-game shutout of 2013 to lead #NotreDame past @SHUBaseball 5-0 in @BigEastChamps opener #do… 4 hours ago
- RT @NDMensTennis: Greg Andrews will now play #16 Ray Sarmiento from USC in the 2nd Round tomorrow at 11:30am (Central Time). 4 hours ago
- .@NDLacrosse's Matt Miller Tapped As USILA Scholar All-American, honored for his performance both on & off the field. bit.ly/11clUmn 5 hours ago