Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EST
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Football Makes a Holiday Contribution
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Hartford Men's Basketball Game On Dec. 30 Moved To 7:30 pm (ET) Start Time
- W. Basketball. #5/4 Irish Play Host To Saint Joseph's Sunday Afternoon
- General News. Spreading Christmas Joy
- General News. Former Notre Dame Sports Medicine Pioneer Dr. Les Bodnar Dies
- M. Basketball. #21/21 Irish To Clash With Purdue At Crossroads Classic
- Football. ECHOES `14: Notre Dame Football Awards Show Premieres December 20, 2014 on NBC Sports Network
- Fencing. Francesca Russo: Big-Time Dreamer, Full-Throttle Fencer
- W. Soccer. Naughton, Roccaro Named To NSCAA Scholar All-America Third Team
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Elite 2015 Schedule
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Everything you need to know about @NDFootball vs LSU in the @MusicCity Bowl- ntrda.me/1yAIoZA Can't wait to see you in Nashville! 10 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Finals week is officially over! pic.twitter.com/hTapWulXwx 13 hours ago
- RT @ndwbb: With exams ending today we switch back to basketball mode & prepare for St. Joseph's on Sunday! Remember to bring teddy bears to… 14 hours ago
- Just want to send a little S/O to our partner, @UnderArmour, for being named @YahooFinance's Company of the Year- ntrda.me/16zv4yi 14 hours ago
- RT @TeamInfographs: @FightingIrish @NDFootball Loved working with the Irish this year. Thanks for the love. #GoIrish 15 hours ago