Dec 31, 2012, 11:15 AM EDT
Of all the months, October was probably the busiest for the Fighting Irish – especially on television.
On Oct. 3, a new Strong of Heart feature debuted on NBC Sports Network. The episode included features on Notre Dame football historian Steve Boda and senior linebacker Manti Te’o.
However, that was just the beginning.
Notre Dame took to the Windy City for this year’s Shamrock Series game.
After the Irish defeated Miami at Soldier Field to improve to 5-0, ESPN announced College GameDay was returning to South Bend for the first time since 2005. Mike & Mike in the Morning also joined the fun, broadcasting from Library Quad on Friday.
During the week leading up to GameDay, Samantha Steele challenged Mike Golic Jr. to a Trick Shot Monday showdown.
On Saturday, an hour before kickoff against the Cardinal, the NFL Films special Onward Notre Dame: South Bend to Soldier Field aired on NBC.
And as you probably know, the Stanford game more than lived up to the hype.
The Cardinal took over, and senior back Stepfan Taylor powered the ball down to the three, setting up a 1st-and-goal for the Stanford offense.
And then the night turned magical. The stout Irish defense stopped four consecutive running plays. Students, fans, players crowded the field in jubilant celebration.
Victory. Or so it seemed.
The fourth down ruling on the field was under review – eerily similar to the end of that fateful October night in 2005, the last time GameDay had visited campus.
After a brief delay, the referee confirmed the call. Taylor had been stopped short of the goal line.
A scene unlike anything you can put into words.
Read the rest of the post here.
FIDM also accompanied the men’s and women’s basketball teams in New York for BIG EAST Media Day.
Irish United: The Story of Notre Dame Women’s Soccer debuted on NBCSN.
On the weekend of the BYU football game, the fencing team dedicated the new Castellan Family Fencing Center in the Joyce Center.
As the football team headed out to Norman, the NBA took over Purcell Pavilion. The Chicago Bulls met the Indiana Pacers in the teams’ final exhibition game before the season tipped off. It was a special homecoming for Ben Hansbrough, the former Irish guard now with the Pacers organization.
- Cross Country. 35th Annual National Catholic Championships Set For Friday
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Kicks Off 2014 Fall Season In Illinois And New Jersey
- W. Volleyball. Irish Set For Purdue Active Ankle Challenge
- M. Soccer. #4 Notre Dame Visits #5 Virginia On Sunday For Key ACC Clash
- W. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame-North Carolina Rivalry Revisited
- Cross Country. IRISH EXTRA: National Catholic Championships A Special Occasion For Large And Small Schools Alike
- M. Ice Hockey. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- Compton Family Ice Arena. Chicago Blackhawks Set To Open Training Camp At Compton Family Ice Arena On Sept. 19
- W. Basketball. Ruth Riley Selected as One of 2014 Junior Chamber International Ten Outstanding Young Persons Of The World
- W. Lacrosse. Notre Dame Signing Class Ranked in Top 10
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Don't forget, Notre Dame Reborn re-airs tomorrow at 7:30 pm ET on @NBCSN. Set those DVRs! #GoIrish 4 hours ago
- Saturday will be beautiful, so #ComeByAlumni & cheer on @NDSoccer at their biggest game of the season vs UNC! @NDTix ntrda.me/WSocvsUNC 5 hours ago
- ICYMI We will NOT be showing a #NDFBClassics, presented by @Tire_Rack, this week. Look for us next week with @NDFootball vs LSU (1998). 6 hours ago
- Notre Dame Athletics In The News - eepurl.com/3EZxL 9 hours ago
- We need a little music to get through that last bit of the work day. A little pick up from @NDFencing spoti.fi/18YlG2g #HitPlay 9 hours ago