Jan 24, 2013, 4:22 PM EDT
It looks like we have some new social media stars on the rise.
@NDFabFive, a twitter account run by the five freshmen on the Notre Dame men’s tennis team, has been gaining fame over the last few weeks in the world of Notre Dame athletics both online and offline. The five members of the “Fab 5″ are Quentin Monaghan, Nicolas Montoya, Eric Schnurrenberger, Kenneth Sabacinski, and Alex Lawson.
Lawson, a native of Tempe, Arizona, said the account, which was made in early January, originally started out as a joke.
“I think one of the upperclassmen said [“The Fab 5”] once and then we started the Twitter…We kept saying we wanted to surpass ND men’s tennis in followers, and we sort of changed the goal to just gain attention for men’s tennis and get people out to the matches, I guess.”
Scroll through the Fab 5’s tweets, and you’ll notice that nearly all of them are very funny, quirky, and amusing. Lawson said, “It’s always been a not-very-serious thing. Not to say that we’re not serious about our tennis, but I mean we just kind of look around and tweet stuff if something funny happens.”
Here’s an example:
So what’s to come for the Fab 5? Well, they’re back in season, so when they’re not in classes, practices, matches, or tournaments, you can expect more updates from their account. Lawson also said that perhaps some Fab 5 t-shirts are on the way.
Their Twitter bio says they’re “taking collegiate athletics by storm,” but it looks a lot like they’re taking Twitter by storm, too.
- Football. Tony Alford Is All For Family
- M. Tennis. Men's Tennis Announces Challenging 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Soccer. Theresa Romagnolo To Be Inducted Into Snohomish County (Wash.) Sports Hall Of Fame
- Football. Notre Dame To Face Syracuse at 8 p.m. EDT on ABC Sports
- Baseball. Baseball Announces Fall And Winter Prospect Camps
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Wins Mary Fossum Invitational
- W. Soccer. Andrews Lifts #19/13 Irish Past Toledo, 2-1
- Football. Brian Kelly Purdue Review Teleconference Transcript
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Defense Dominates Second Half
- Football. Notre Dame vs. Purdue- Postgame Quotes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- New "Strong & True"- The story of @NDFootball's @CoachTonyAlford's promise to his late brother, Aaron- ntrda.me/1uRcRm4 #NDFamily 1 hour ago
- Notre Dame Athletics is guided by 5 core values. Listen to AD Jack Swarbrick elaborate on our 5 pillars- ntrda.me/1t6Rv5v #WeAreND 2 hours ago
- RT @NDMonogram: Some lunchtime reading… Here’s a full recap of the #ShamrockSeries in the Monogram Club Musings! bit.ly/Xc1Ksm 2 hours ago
- Runner up for Student Athlete of the Week, with 25% of the vote, was @NDSoccer's Morgan Andrews. Thanks for voting! #GoIrish 3 hours ago
- .@Brandon_Aubrey scored the game-winning goal in the 1-0 victory at Syracuse- 1st careers goal & 1st goal allowed by Syracuse this season. 3 hours ago