Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM EST
Being a senior has changed my perspective on a lot of things at Notre Dame. One of which is my empathy during Senior Day at sporting events. Being a senior, I can sympathize with the senior athletes on a whole other level and this weekend is no exception. This is the last opportunity these senior swimmers and divers will have to represent their school at home as this event will culminate their racing/diving careers at the Rolfs Aquatic Center.
This weekend will conclude the home slate for both the men’s and women’s swimming seasons. Both campaigns have been highly productive for each squad. The men enter the meet undefeated and hope to preserve their chance at the first undefeated season in men’s program history. Meanwhile, the women have seen Emma Reaney break two of Olympian Rebecca Soni’s Rolf Aquatic Center records this season while also recording three NCAA A-cut times. The women’s 400 medley relay also registered an A-cut time meaning that at least four women will represent Notre Dame at the 2013 NCAA Championships, which is the break the Irish program has longed for over the past several years.
This edition of the Shamrock Invitational features a new look as the events are in a different order this year (click here for information on the order of the events). Additionally, the Irish welcome first-time visitor Towson University to the Rolfs Aquatic along with the men’s squad from Harvard University, who will be making its second appearance in South Bend. The Irish will have stiff competition in Towson and Harvard and the racing should be quick. It wouldn’t be a surprise if pool records fall this weekend as the Irish are priming for the championship portion of their schedule.
You can catch today’s portion of the meet starting at 5 p.m. on und.com as Rich Hidy, Jimmy Moley and myself will be on the call. For the Saturday portion of the meet, you can check out the live stats from the meet by clicking here.
- M. Soccer. IRISH EXTRA: Notre Dame Advances In The Rain
- W. Basketball. #2 Irish Cap Off Busy Seven-Day Stretch Against Quinnipiac
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Huffman Finding Her Role
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2 Notre Dame 97, Harvard 43
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2 Notre Dame Rolls Past Harvard, 97-43
- W. Rowing. Setting the Standard
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Forward Brianna Turner Is Repeat Choice As Atlantic Coast Conference Freshman of the Week
- Football. Football Earns 2014 AFCA Academic Achievement Award
- General News. Irish Extra: Coccia Ready to `Fight the World's Fight'
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDsidMasters: FINAL - @ndwbb 112, Quinnipiac 52 … Loyd 23 pts, Turner 20 pts, Reimer 12 pts/8 rebs, Mabrey 12 pts, Westbeld 10 pts/12 r… 1 hour ago
- RT @ndwbb: Everyone in an Irish uniform has scored tonight!! 🍀🏀 1 hour ago
- RT @CoreyRobinson13: Football here watching WBB ball out @NDIrishEyes http://t.co/el0pW1qjHD 2 hours ago
- Big Mac's for EVERYONE! Great job @NDwbb! #GoIrishGo 2 hours ago
- RT @NDAthEquipment: Court side for tonight's women's hoops game. Thanks @ndwbb for the seats! #getbuckets http://t.co/9xxfNlypqr 2 hours ago