Feb 3, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
At first glance, Loftus Sports Center resembles something of a circus during the annual Meyo Invitational track meet. Continuous jumping events including pole vault, triple jump, and high jump all compete for a spectator’s attention with the sporadic running events. The whole scene gives the impression that a single event could not dominate the attention of the whole crowd. However, the moment the announcer mentioned the “Men’s Meyo Mile” it became evident that the previous impression was incorrect.
Collegiate track fans seem few and far between. If someone who claimed they were not a track fan showed up to the hair-raising atmosphere provided by the men’s and women’s Meyo Mile, they would be likely to experience a change of heart.
For roughly four minutes, Loftus was an equal to Notre Dame Stadium on a fall Sunday. Courtesy of the Leprechaun Legion, boom stick collisions reverberated off of the field house’s walls. Shouts of approval or agony blared from the mouths of loyal fans. Every one in the arena shuffled to get a better look at the finish line. There is only one word that can adequately describe the experience of watching a collegiate mile race: electric.
Notre Dame failed to enter a male contestant in the mile, however the Irish heavy crowd still roared for the whole race. Wisconsin sophomore Austin Mudd out finished Illinois’ Graham Morris to claim the Meyo Mile title. He finished with a time of 3:59.33.
Notre Dame’s Rebecca Tracy gained the lead with about 400 meters remaining in the women’s race. She held off the field for the last quarter-mile to claim a victory for the host team. Tracy finished with a time of 4:39.52. Kelly Curran, the other Irish contestant, finished in eighth place with a time of 4:53.51.
Full Meyo Mile results are available on UND.com, and you can watch each race below in the video from Fighting Irish Digital Media.
The Irish compete in the Grand Valley Big Meet Invitational in Allendale, Michigan on Feb. 8th and 9th.
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Track. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish Legends - Lou Holtz and Mark May
Length: 4:25 | June 13, 2013
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Summer Trip to Europe 2013 - Notre Dame Volleyball
Length: 3:01 | June 10, 2013
Eric Jagielo - 26th pick, MLB Draft to NY Yankees
Length: 0:44 | June 7, 2013
- .@NDmensGolf's 2013 season ended with Niall Platt and Cory Sciupider earning All-BIG EAST Honors! bit.ly/126C2QU #GoIrish 6 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: #TrickShotMonday Rewind- Michigan Week bit.ly/15dg9S0 #OurTeamOurStory 6 hours ago
- In April, @NDmensGolf Stormed To 3rd Place Finish At The 2013 BIG EAST Championship. Cory Sciupider placed 3rd bit.ly/12ZRjHO 7 hours ago
- RT @theACCDN: ACC One-on-One: Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame [@FightingIrish] ow.ly/m7CH0 7 hours ago
- In March, @NDmensGolf's Cory Sciupider finished as Co-Medalist at the C&F Bank Intercollegiate bit.ly/YEije7 8 hours ago