Feb 8, 2013, 8:50 AM EDT
The Notre Dame softball team will start the 2013 campaign in weather that is a little more pleasant than snowy South Bend. The Irish are headed to Charlotte, N.C. and will take part in the Fast Pitch Classic on February 9th and 10th.
The Irish will be facing the Badgers of Wisconsin and the 49ers of Charlotte on Saturday. On Sunday Notre Dame will rematch the Badgers and will also face the Blue Hose of Presbyterian. The first game on both Saturday and Sunday will start at 10:00 a.m. with the second game staring at noon.
Senior captain Amy Buntin figures to lead the Irish from behind the plate this year. Buntin was recently named to the watch list for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year award. She was also named to the NFCA All-American second team last year, as she hit 12 homers and recorded 60 RBI over the course of the season, all while batting .360.
Notre Dame will also rely on the pitching duo of junior Laura Winter and senior Brittany O’Donnell. Winter went 29-11 last season and was named BIG EAST Pitcher of the Year. That success culminated in a trip the program’s first ever trip to Tucson, Ariz. for the regional round of the 2012 NCAA Softball Championships. The Irish have now been to an impressive 14 consecutive appearance in the NCAA Championships.
To watch the Irish’s noon contest against Charlotte on Saturday, click here.
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Scrap To Hard-Fought 1-0 Home Win Over #20 Clemson
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Travels To
- M. Soccer. Patrick Wall Named A Finalist For Senior CLASS Award
- W. Golf. Irish Women's Golf Faces Strong Field At Landfall Tradition
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Making A Wish Come True
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish To Play Host To Niagara University For First Time At Compton Family Ice Arena
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Upended At #8 Indiana, 1-0
- Football. Three From Notre Dame on NFF Hall of Fame Ballot
- W. Volleyball. Alugbue Makes Broadcasting Debut In Irish Win Over BC
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish, #20 Clemson Bring A Postseason Feel To Alumni Stadium Thursday
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.