Feb 14, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Before coming to Notre Dame, junior Andrew Carreon had already accomplished a lot in his amateur career.
The San Antonio, Tex. native was a three-time San Antonio City Junior Champion. He had five top-20 finishes, including four in the top-15 on the AJGA circuit. Carreon was ranked the no. 34 best prospect according to Golfweek/Titleist rankings among the high school class of 2010.
With this type of impressive resume, one would think that Carreon had had a golf club in his hand since birth, but that was not the case.
“I started playing golf relatively late in life,” Carreon said. “I started when I was 12 years old, and I just started by going to play with my dad for the first time. My dad loves to play golf, so one day I just went with him. I grew up playing baseball very competitively, so it was not so different trying to hit a golf ball as opposed to a baseball.”
Because Carreon did begin playing golf until he was older, he did not have golfing hero growing up. He did say that, in retrospect, it would have been Bobby Jones.
“[Jones] played in the early 1900s and he was considered one of the best players in the world at the time, but he refused to turn professional because he believed that playing for money destroys your love for the game. He played because he loved the game and I’m not sure how many players you can truly say that about today.”
Carreon was recruited by many top schools, but he said that once he visited the Notre Dame campus his decision was a no-brainer.
“After taking my official visit to Notre Dame, it was a very easy choice,” Carreon said. “This is a special place, it didn’t take me long to figure that out. My Christian faith is very important to me, so it was very nice to find a place where I could play golf, receive such a wonderful education and strengthen my faith in God. I am very blessed.”
Carreon averaged 73.83 during the fall season and he said that he and his teammates have high expectations for the spring.
“I expect this to be a very successful spring for myself and for the team,” Carreon said. “Although we didn’t hit one out of the park this fall in our tournaments, we still had a very good team stroke average. I look forward to another team Big East win and greater things beyond that.”
The Irish begin their spring season at the Fighting Irish Match play at Harbour Town Golf Links. The competition will begin on March 11 in Hilton Head, S.C.
- M. Tennis. Leaving It All On The Court
- Softball. Strikeout Cancer, A Cause Ingrained In The Tradition Of Notre Dame Softball
- W. Lacrosse. Battle-Tested Irish Ready For ACC Tournament
- W. Basketball. McBride Earns MVP Honors At 2013-14 Women's Basketball Awards Banquet
- M. Golf. Irish Claim Four-Shot Win At Oak Hill Intercollegiate
- Baseball. Irish Return To Region With Wednesday Matchup Against Central Michigan
- Softball. #21 Irish Split Midweek Doubleheader With North Carolina State
- W. Tennis. Notre Dame To Compete In First-Ever ACC Championship
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame Seeded Fourth In ACC Championship This Week
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish To Host Mexico U-20s On Friday
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- Love trivia? Want to raise money to fight Leukemia? @NDSoftball's Trivia Night on Friday is for you. To claim a table email email@example.com. 5 hours ago
- Get ready to cry. @NDFIDM interviewed @NDwbb's Senior parents & they shared their memories and what ND means to them bit.ly/1lFVch1 6 hours ago
- RT @NDBaseball: Great to see the Notre Dame Club of Kalamazoo out to the ballpark tonight ... Thanks for the support! http://t.co/xnCRs3yUzS 7 hours ago
- Let's go @NDSoccer! #GameOn #GoIrish 7 hours ago
- Lineups for tonight's @NDSoccer game vs Haiti have just been completed #GoIrish http://t.co/DLYU7TtAwa 7 hours ago