Feb 14, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
Before coming to Notre Dame, junior Andrew Carreon had already accomplished a lot in his amateur career.
The San Antonio, Tex. native was a three-time San Antonio City Junior Champion. He had five top-20 finishes, including four in the top-15 on the AJGA circuit. Carreon was ranked the no. 34 best prospect according to Golfweek/Titleist rankings among the high school class of 2010.
With this type of impressive resume, one would think that Carreon had had a golf club in his hand since birth, but that was not the case.
“I started playing golf relatively late in life,” Carreon said. “I started when I was 12 years old, and I just started by going to play with my dad for the first time. My dad loves to play golf, so one day I just went with him. I grew up playing baseball very competitively, so it was not so different trying to hit a golf ball as opposed to a baseball.”
Because Carreon did begin playing golf until he was older, he did not have golfing hero growing up. He did say that, in retrospect, it would have been Bobby Jones.
“[Jones] played in the early 1900s and he was considered one of the best players in the world at the time, but he refused to turn professional because he believed that playing for money destroys your love for the game. He played because he loved the game and I’m not sure how many players you can truly say that about today.”
Carreon was recruited by many top schools, but he said that once he visited the Notre Dame campus his decision was a no-brainer.
“After taking my official visit to Notre Dame, it was a very easy choice,” Carreon said. “This is a special place, it didn’t take me long to figure that out. My Christian faith is very important to me, so it was very nice to find a place where I could play golf, receive such a wonderful education and strengthen my faith in God. I am very blessed.”
Carreon averaged 73.83 during the fall season and he said that he and his teammates have high expectations for the spring.
“I expect this to be a very successful spring for myself and for the team,” Carreon said. “Although we didn’t hit one out of the park this fall in our tournaments, we still had a very good team stroke average. I look forward to another team Big East win and greater things beyond that.”
The Irish begin their spring season at the Fighting Irish Match play at Harbour Town Golf Links. The competition will begin on March 11 in Hilton Head, S.C.
- Softball. Virginia Tech Outlasts Irish 4-3 In Game One Of Lexington Regional
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Set For 11-Day European Trip
- Baseball. Irish Drop Series Opener At Cincinnati, 9-5
- Track. 24 Irish Track And Field Standouts Selected To NCAA East Preliminary Round
- M. Tennis. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- W. Golf. Andrews, Armstrong Named To Capital One Academic At-Large All-District V First Team
- Softball. Koerner, Winter Selected To NFCA All-Region First Team
- M. Lacrosse. #2 Irish And #7 Duke Set For Quarterfinal Showdown In Indy
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame To Visit Penn State In 2013 Big Ten/ACC Women's Basketball Challenge
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Close Regular Season At Cincinnati
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Celebrating Ara Parseghian's 90th Birthday
Length: 6:59 | May 17, 2013
Michael Moore, BIG EAST Scholarship - Notre Dame Men's Tennis
Length: 1:30 | May 17, 2013
Preparing for the Big East Championship - Rowing
Length: 2:24 | May 17, 2013
Coach Kelly Sirius/XM Town Hall - Assistant Coaches
Length: 1:24 | May 17, 2013
- RT @NDBaseball: #NotreDame evens series with 9-1 victory over @GoBEARCATS #domeball 8 hours ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: New In The Crease blog bit.ly/12ibRso Day 1 of our trip to the @NCAA quarterfinals #InvadeIndy #GoIrish 9 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: While the opponent is yet to be determined, Irish will play tomorrow at 3:30 pm in an elimination game. 11 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Legendary ND football coach Ara Parseghian is turning 90 years old. Highlights from his birthday party http://t.co/Dzw8EDIM… 11 hours ago
- RT @NDsoftball: Final. Va. Tech 4, Notre Dame 3 #ndsb 11 hours ago