Feb 14, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
Before coming to Notre Dame, junior Andrew Carreon had already accomplished a lot in his amateur career.
The San Antonio, Tex. native was a three-time San Antonio City Junior Champion. He had five top-20 finishes, including four in the top-15 on the AJGA circuit. Carreon was ranked the no. 34 best prospect according to Golfweek/Titleist rankings among the high school class of 2010.
With this type of impressive resume, one would think that Carreon had had a golf club in his hand since birth, but that was not the case.
“I started playing golf relatively late in life,” Carreon said. “I started when I was 12 years old, and I just started by going to play with my dad for the first time. My dad loves to play golf, so one day I just went with him. I grew up playing baseball very competitively, so it was not so different trying to hit a golf ball as opposed to a baseball.”
Because Carreon did begin playing golf until he was older, he did not have golfing hero growing up. He did say that, in retrospect, it would have been Bobby Jones.
“[Jones] played in the early 1900s and he was considered one of the best players in the world at the time, but he refused to turn professional because he believed that playing for money destroys your love for the game. He played because he loved the game and I’m not sure how many players you can truly say that about today.”
Carreon was recruited by many top schools, but he said that once he visited the Notre Dame campus his decision was a no-brainer.
“After taking my official visit to Notre Dame, it was a very easy choice,” Carreon said. “This is a special place, it didn’t take me long to figure that out. My Christian faith is very important to me, so it was very nice to find a place where I could play golf, receive such a wonderful education and strengthen my faith in God. I am very blessed.”
Carreon averaged 73.83 during the fall season and he said that he and his teammates have high expectations for the spring.
“I expect this to be a very successful spring for myself and for the team,” Carreon said. “Although we didn’t hit one out of the park this fall in our tournaments, we still had a very good team stroke average. I look forward to another team Big East win and greater things beyond that.”
The Irish begin their spring season at the Fighting Irish Match play at Harbour Town Golf Links. The competition will begin on March 11 in Hilton Head, S.C.
- W. Basketball. Achonwa Leads No. 4 Irish Past No. 10 Penn State
- M. Ice Hockey. Thomas DiPauli Selected To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- W. Volleyball. Houser Named Third Team All-ACC
- M. Basketball. Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Head Coach Mike Brey Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Falls at Iowa, 98-93
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- M. Soccer. Harrison Shipp Named A MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist
- W. Basketball. #4/5 Irish Visit #10/11 Penn State Wednesday For Big Ten/ACC Challenge
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Set For Inaugural Appearance In Big Ten/ACC Challenge
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @GoIrish: Join @NDMenSoccer when they host Michigan State this Saturday @ 7 - arrive early to get FREE hot chocolate! #goirish #ComebyAl… 1 hour ago
- New UNDerground blogs! - @NDFootball New Rankings bit.ly/18bhBMy - @NDmbb & @NDwbb McCaffery Family bit.ly/IKldt3 #GoIrish 2 hours ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: Don't forget the first Mike Brey Radio Show hits the air tonight on WSBT 960am and 96.1 FM. 3 hours ago
- New sale from the online store- bit.ly/1eW3oTq Get 15-40% off sweatshirts/jackets, 20% off headwear until Dec 8 #GetYours 3 hours ago
- RT @NDFencingTeam: Gauntlet's down, @FightingIrish. What other ND teams are getting in the holiday spirit? #GoIrish #MerryChristmas http://… 5 hours ago