Feb 18, 2013, 9:29 AM EDT
As junior Billy Pecor was playing the match point against No. 21 Michigan (and after over three and a half hours of play), the whole team stood on the adjacent court eagerly waiting for a victory. Pecor won the point, threw his racket up in the air, and the team rushed over to congratulate him.
That moment described the mood of the entire day. Playing a rival is tense, but when Notre Dame and Michigan meet, it’s something else.
“Our last three matches against [Michigan] have all come down to the last match on,” said senior Spencer Talmadge during the singles matches.
Make that the last four matches.
“Whenever it comes down to the last match on to decide it, it’s always really intense, but yesterday seemed even more so given that it was against our most hated rival,” said freshman Alex Lawson, Pecor’s doubles partner. “When he won and we all stormed the court, it was such a good feeling and I think you could really see how much we all wanted it. That’s what college tennis is all about.”
The day started with doubles. Pecor and Lawson were the first done, defeating the Wolverines’ Vlad Stefan and Michael Zhu. The pairs of Talmadge and Greg Andrews, and Ryan Bandy and Matt Dooley finished in close losses to Evan King and Alex Petrone, and Shaun Bernstein and Barrett Franks, respectively.
The match was also long-time head coach Bobby Bayliss’s last against Michigan, as he will be retiring at the end of the season.
“It was great to give Coach Bayliss a win over them in his last year, too. We know that matchup means a lot to him,” said Lawson.
The Irish travel to Columbus, Ohio to play the Ohio State University next on Feb. 23.
- M. Soccer. Date Change For Notre Dame-North Carolina Match
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session I - Final Day Game Schedule
- General News. Notre Dame Named First Recipient of SVG/NACDA Technology Leadership Award
- Track. Irish Cross Country/Track & Field Finish In Top 15 For John McDonnell Program of the Year Award
- General News. Student-Athletes Volunteer Time and Effort to Perley Primary
- M. Soccer. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Monogram Club. Three Fighting Irish Alums On MLS All-Star Ballot
- Baseball. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Cross Country. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
- Track. Notre Dame Athletics Again Ranks Atop NCAA APR Four-Year Average Chart
Fighting Irish on YouTube
Irish Legends - Lou Holtz and Mark May
Length: 4:25 | June 13, 2013
2013 Football 101 Recap
Length: 2:50 | June 12, 2013
Summer Trip to Europe 2013 - Notre Dame Volleyball
Length: 3:01 | June 10, 2013
Eric Jagielo - 26th pick, MLB Draft to NY Yankees
Length: 0:44 | June 7, 2013
- Thurs is Blue-Gold Day at @Meijer on Grape Road, 5:30pm. @CoachBrianKelly will be signing autographs and you can win football tickets! 5 hours ago
- .@NDwomensLax was invited to the NCAA Tournament in May, facing Stanford in the first round bit.ly/12gFzOL 7 hours ago
- RT @CoachTonyAlford: Mike Brey at the ND Basketball Camp. Excellent camp and leadership provided by the ND staff!! #NDNation http://t.co/ta… 7 hours ago
- In May, 4 @NDwomensLax standouts were named 1st Team All-BIG EAST, the most in school history bit.ly/104ZAoL #GoIrish 8 hours ago
- The end of April brought Senior Day and a win by @NDwomensLax over Marquette bit.ly/12KpOko #GoIrish 9 hours ago