Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- W. Tennis. "???j?????JS?g????Y@???q?????????*l
- M. Tennis. Men's ITA All-American Championships Update
- M. Soccer. Besler Golden Goal Lifts #1 Notre Dame Past VCU, 1-0, In Double-Overtime
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. Stanford Game Notes
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Rookie Class Makes for Irish Hockey Wild Card in 2014-15
- M. Golf. Sciupider Takes Runner-Up Honors As Irish Finish Seventh At Fighting Irish Golf Classic
- Football. Stanford Preview Press Conference With Brian Kelly
- W. Soccer. Kaela Little Named ACC Women's Soccer Player Of The Week
- M. Lacrosse. Current, Former Irish Teams to be Feted at Notre Dame-Stanford
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Ranked In Preseason Hockey Polls
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Thursday, 8pm ET, tune in on @WatchND for @NDFootball vs Stanford '12 & tweet along using #NDFBClassics http://t.co/UOtTWTXnYx 11 minutes ago
- The rain. The whistle. The Goal Line Stand. Thursday we bring you @NDFootball vs Stanford '12 for #NDFBClassics, presented by @Tire_Rack. 15 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDameRowing: You could win naming rights for a boat! All you have to do is enter the #NDergathon raffle this Friday from 12-7pm! 29 minutes ago
- RT @NotreDameRowing: A BIG thank you to @CoachBrianKelly for signing a football to auction off Friday at @NotreDameRowing’s Erg-A-Thon to f… 58 minutes ago
- RT @ndwbb: Out of our EIGHT "Big Monday" games in the past 3 yrs, #ndwbb has 3 wins vs Tennessee, 2 wins vs UConn, AND 2 wins vs Louisville… 58 minutes ago