Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Play Host To Hokies On Saturday
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Olmsted's Emergence, TDS 100, ACC Tourney And More
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Scrap To Hard-Fought 1-0 Home Win Over #20 Clemson
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Travels To "The Mother Of States" For Two ACC Matches
- M. Soccer. Patrick Wall Named A Finalist For Senior CLASS Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #NDTwitter accounts you should be following tonight- @NDvolleyball @NDsidRuss @NDmenSoccer @NDsidSean @NDHockey #GamesInProgress #GoIrish 5 minutes ago
- RT @NDvolleyball: Follow along as ND meets UVA in Charlottesville at 7 pm: live stats ( tinyurl.com/oem623j) & PAID video (http://t.co/YF… 6 minutes ago
- .@NDHockey fans make sure you tweet your support of the team with the hashtag #IrishVisionHKY and YOU might end up on the video board! 13 minutes ago
- RT @GoIrish: .@HockeyNightSB it's chuck-a-puck night. $5 each, proceeds go to the Kelly Cares Foundation #GoIrish http://t.co/RrwTTUT2Qx 40 minutes ago
- Not in the area? Tune in on @WatchND and @NBCSN - @NDMenSoccer- ntrda.me/1ryQ6R4 - @NDHockey- ntrda.me/1DbeEFw #GoIrish 44 minutes ago