Mar 22, 2013, 1:22 PM EST
Sophomore Emma Reaney led the Irish on an extremely productive first day at the 2013 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. Reaney finished in ninth place in the 200 IM, garnering her fourth Honorable Mention All-America accolade. She did not wait long to pick up her fifth as she helped the Irish’s 400 medley relay squad finish 13th overall later in the evening. Reaney was joined by teammates Kelly Ryan, Kim Holden and Catherine Galletti as the Irish set a new school record with their performance of 3:34.66. That same relay squad has now broken the school record three times this season and the swimmers can say that they are All-Americans!
The Notre Dame program tallied 17 points over the course of the evening, which is good for 16th place overall out of the 34 teams that have scored points. That point total is already the eighth highest point total in program history. The Irish are poised to potentially move even higher up that list as the Irish will be competing in six events today – 200 medley relay, 100 breast (Emma Reaney), 100 back (Kim Holden, Kelly Ryan), 100 fly (Kim Holden), and 3-meter diving (Jenny Chiang).
The Irish saw a number of major milestones on Day 1. Not only did the 400 medley relay squad break the school record, but they also recorded the best finish by an Irish relay since 2007 when the 800 free relay also finished 13th overall. Moreover, the performance last night was the best finish in the 400 medley relay for Notre Dame since 2002. Finally, Emma Reaney’s two Honorable Mention All-America honors last night increased her total to five overall, which puts her in a tie for sixth place in the all-time list of most All-America accolades in program history. Reaney has the potential to gain another two All-America scrolls today as she competes in the 100 breast and 200 medley relay.
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Freshman Johnson Breaks Out
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish And River Hawks Battle To A 2-2 Tie
- W. Volleyball. No. 7 North Carolina Tops Notre Dame, 3-0, Friday Night
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #3/2 Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. Postgame Quotes: Notre Dame 88, Chattanooga 53
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Cruise Past Chattanooga, 88-53
- W. Soccer. Muya Shines As Irish Earn A 2-1 Comeback Win Over Texas In NCAA Second Round
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish To Battle Buckeyes In NCAA Second Round
- Baseball. Irish Update From Around Professional Baseball
- Football. Living Out a Dream
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Coach Kelly is at the podium. Tune in- ntrda.me/11Oiv02 The post-game show will start immediately afterward. http://t.co/8gakoqai75 2 hours ago
- Game wrap up. @NDFootball 28 - Louisville 31 Next up: USC http://t.co/8bevQlk6Do 3 hours ago
- Join us in the alma mater #LoveTheeNotreDame 3 hours ago
- RT @NDFootball: Louisville downs the football for the 2nd time, ND does not have any time outs remaining. Cardinals escape with the victory… 3 hours ago
- Keep rolling #GoIrishGo 3 hours ago