Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EST
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- Cross Country. Irish Focus On Continuing Progression At NCAA Championships
- M. Ice Hockey. IRISH EXTRA: Russo Now Ready at Both Ends
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Drop 3-1 Decision To UMass Lowell In Hockey East Action
- W. Basketball. #3/2 Irish Return Home Friday To Face Chattanooga
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Welcomes No. 7 UNC And NC State To Purcell This Weekend
- Football. The (Football) Band of the Fighting Irish
- Football. Mike Denbrock and the Irish Offensive Coaching Staff: A Day in the Life
- Football. Changing Course
- Football. Irish Extra: Luke Picks Up the Pace
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet UMass And Providence This Weekend
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Hope to see you on campus tonight for @NDwbb, the @NDFootball Pep Rally, @NDHockey, and @NDVolleyball #GoIrish 28 minutes ago
- So many ND teams competing tonight the couldn't pick a @Spotify playlist to feature today! Select your soundtrack- spoti.fi/XZSwze 32 minutes ago
- RT @NDPomSquad: Come on seniors, you know you wanna go full circle and come to one last football pep rally... See you at 545 43 minutes ago
- RT @NDXCTF: The Irish are set to continue their upward trajectory at the NCAA Championships on Saturday: und.com/sports/c-xc/sp… http://t.co… 49 minutes ago
- RT @NDIrishEyes: You've got to love how ND student-athletes support each other. Here's this weekend's line-up! #IrishOn3 http://t.co/FEXhTx… 1 hour ago