Mar 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Last night, the Notre Dame hockey team attended the CCHA Awards Show, appropriately themed “Celebrate the Legacy.” This was the last awards show for the CCHA, a conference that after 42 years will hold its last championship game on Sunday.
It was a night for reflection and celebration, as coaches and players assembled one last time to honor a conference that has been important to the history of collegiate hockey.
Around 8 pm, the CCHA awards were handed out, and Notre Dame Hockey was well represented.
- Peter Schneider was Notre Dame’s CCHA Scholar Athletes of the Year
- Steven Summerhays was a finalist for the Perani Cup, given to the player on each team who receives the most three stars of the game honors in CCHA play
- Anders Lee was a finalist for the Best Defensive Forward, and the Warrior CCHA Player of the Year awards, and named to the All Conference First Team
- Mario Lucia was named to the All Rookie Team
- Joe Rogers accepted the Terry Flanagan Memorial Award, an award honoring a player for perseverance, dedication and courage while overcoming severe adversity
Joe was born with an underdeveloped right hand that keeps him from closing his catching glove. As a child, he had operations that took a bone from his foot to try and reshape the thumb on his left hand. Despite the obstacles, and with a custom-made glove, Rogers has learned to catch the puck and pull it into his chest to make a save. Joe has become a role model for kids with handicaps that want to play sports, especially hockey.
Watch Joe Rogers’s acceptance speech here.
- M. Swimming. Notre Dame Set To Host Purdue Saturday In First Dual Meet Of The Season
- M. Basketball. Irish To Meet Minnesota Duluth In Exhibition Opener
- Baseball. Blue Tops Gold, 6-3, In First Game Of Annual Fall Series
- Football. Notre Dame's Jerome Bettis Named Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Football. IRISH EXTRA: Irish Know It's `Game On' with Midshipmen
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome In Georgia Tech For Halloween Showdown
- M. Soccer. Irish Place Three On Academic All-District 5 First Team
- Cross Country. Irish Eye Consistency At Hilly ACC Championship Race
- M. Soccer. #5 Notre Dame Draws With #12 Michigan State, 1-1
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Icers To Play Host To Vermont To Close Out Eight-Game Home Stand
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Big games are ahead for @NDFootball, so make sure you have the @UnderArmour gear to cheer on our Irish- ntrda.me/1wNiMu4 #TeamUA 1 hour ago
- It's #GreenFriday, Halloween edition! Tag us & @gamedayND in your photos and we will retweet the best ones! #BooIrish http://t.co/3jrjYfjopR 1 hour ago
- Halloween is finally here! #HitPlay on @NDSoftball's Scare-tacular @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/1g9tIMB #NDHalloween 3 hours ago
- .@NDsoftball has been hijacked! It's a MONSTE... wait, it's Katie Beriont. Give them a follow #KBTwitterTakeover http://t.co/MVDq50KPtx 3 hours ago
- RT @RegBrooks40: Women's @NDXCTF finish 5th at the @theACC XC Championships! #GoIrish http://t.co/QCS60efCy3 3 hours ago