Mar 24, 2013, 12:56 AM EDT
It was another big day for the Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving program as the Irish picked up another two All-America honors as Emma Reaney registered her sixth career All-American citation while senior Jenny Chiang collected her first ever All-America scroll. Reaney’s fifth place performance paired with Chiang’s 12th place showing earned the Irish an additional 19 points in day 2 of the NCAA Championships. Notre Dame now sits in 17th place with 36 points. Those 36 points are the third most in the history of the program, trailing only the 2000 total of 74.5 points and the 2002 total of 52 points.
Chiang capped off her four-year Notre Dame career in style as she dove to her first ever All-America honor, rebounding after a disappointing 1-meter session the day before. Chiang recorded the highest finish for an Irish diver off the 3-meter board at the NCAA Championships in over a decade. Back in 2002, Heather Mattingly finished in 8th place from the 3-meter distance.
“I don’t think I could think of a better way to end my diving career,” said Chiang, “Going in I was a little nervous because I didn’t too well last year. [My career] was a rollercoaster but overall I am very pleased with my season. Right now it is a high.”
Looking ahead to Day 3 of the meet, Emma Reaney is the highest seeded Irish swimmer as she is seeded seventh in the 200 breaststroke. Reaney has a good feeling about the race tomorrow as she hopes to add another top-8 finish to her resume.
“I didn’t take my [sprint] races out as fast as I wanted [on Friday],” said Reaney, “So, the positive side of that is my 200 should be really good as long as I keep steady and my stroke count together.”
Also highlighting Day 3 is Kelly Ryan’s attempt to make back-to-back “A” Finals in the 200 backstroke. Ryan finished seventh a season ago in the 200 backstroke with a time of 1:54.16 in the finals and 1:53.67 in the preliminary session.
The Irish will look to score 17 more points tomorrow, which would give the Irish 53 points for the meet, the most in Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving history.
- Baseball. Winter Weather Postpones Baseball Game At Michigan State
- Baseball. Baseball Jumps Back Into Action This Week At Michigan State And Toledo
- W. Lacrosse. Molly Shawhan Selflessly Serves Society
- W. Basketball. McBride, Achonwa Selected In First Round Of 2014 WNBA Draft
- M. Basketball. Eric Atkins Nabs Notre Dame Monogram Club MVP Award
- M. Lacrosse. Irish Update: ACC Tournament Field Set
- Football. Irish Legends Charity Event Set For May 15
- Softball. Softball Game Against #7/8 Florida State Canceled
- Track. Four Notre Dame Athletes Win Events At Border Battle
- W. Rowing. #9 Irish Place Fifth In Competitive Lake Natoma Invitational Field
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.