Mar 24, 2013, 12:56 AM EDT
It was another big day for the Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving program as the Irish picked up another two All-America honors as Emma Reaney registered her sixth career All-American citation while senior Jenny Chiang collected her first ever All-America scroll. Reaney’s fifth place performance paired with Chiang’s 12th place showing earned the Irish an additional 19 points in day 2 of the NCAA Championships. Notre Dame now sits in 17th place with 36 points. Those 36 points are the third most in the history of the program, trailing only the 2000 total of 74.5 points and the 2002 total of 52 points.
Chiang capped off her four-year Notre Dame career in style as she dove to her first ever All-America honor, rebounding after a disappointing 1-meter session the day before. Chiang recorded the highest finish for an Irish diver off the 3-meter board at the NCAA Championships in over a decade. Back in 2002, Heather Mattingly finished in 8th place from the 3-meter distance.
“I don’t think I could think of a better way to end my diving career,” said Chiang, “Going in I was a little nervous because I didn’t too well last year. [My career] was a rollercoaster but overall I am very pleased with my season. Right now it is a high.”
Looking ahead to Day 3 of the meet, Emma Reaney is the highest seeded Irish swimmer as she is seeded seventh in the 200 breaststroke. Reaney has a good feeling about the race tomorrow as she hopes to add another top-8 finish to her resume.
“I didn’t take my [sprint] races out as fast as I wanted [on Friday],” said Reaney, “So, the positive side of that is my 200 should be really good as long as I keep steady and my stroke count together.”
Also highlighting Day 3 is Kelly Ryan’s attempt to make back-to-back “A” Finals in the 200 backstroke. Ryan finished seventh a season ago in the 200 backstroke with a time of 1:54.16 in the finals and 1:53.67 in the preliminary session.
The Irish will look to score 17 more points tomorrow, which would give the Irish 53 points for the meet, the most in Notre Dame women’s swimming and diving history.
- Football. Football Media Day Transcript With Coaches and Players
- Football. Media Day Transcript with Brian Kelly
- Football. Notre Dame And Under Armour Unveil 2014 Football Uniforms
- M. Soccer. #1 Notre Dame Gets Back To Work On Tuesday At Bradley
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Announces 2014 Fall Schedule
- W. Soccer. Irish Tabbed Sixth In ACC Preseason Women's Soccer Poll
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Tie Saint Louis, 0-0, In Weather-Shortened Exhibition Match
- W. Soccer. #16 Irish Roar Back In 2-2 Exhibition Draw At Northwestern
- W. Soccer. #16 Irish Travel To Northwestern Saturday For Exhibition Finale
- General News. Notre Dame Reports Academic Misconduct Investigation
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- 30 mins until @NDHockey tickets go on sale! Follow @NDTIX for details #GetYours 35 minutes ago
- 3 chances to see @NDFootball live @NDTix Rice bit.ly/NDFBvsRice2014 Northwestern bit.ly/NDFBvsNorthwes… Louisville bit.ly/NDFBvsUL 10 hours ago
- #ShamrockSeries uniforms are out, so now it's time to stock up on the fan gear ntrda.me/UAndfb2014Gear What's your favorite piece? #GetYours 11 hours ago
- ICYMI the story behind the new @UnderArmour #ShamrockSeries Uniforms- ntrda.me/1rkiCvb #WeAreND 12 hours ago
- RT @ndnyc: No doubt! RT @FightingIrish: We love NEW YORK! RETWEET if you're @ProudtobeND #NYirish #NDFamily http://t.co/41yc7IEKIB 12 hours ago