Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The Spurs moving within one game of the NBA Championship, the Bruins knotting up the Stanley Cup Finals, Justin Rose winning the true ‘Open’ and Robert Kraft’s Super Bowl ring … are just a few of the things you will not read about today.
Friday’s trivia question was difficult (With Sheahan and Pearce on the verge of winning the AHL’s Calder Cup, who was the last Irish Icer to take home this championship?) and stumped the throngs of Irish fans attempting to answer. Erik Condra ’09 is the last Notre Dame hockey player to win the Calder Cup. The jinx was put upon Sheahan and Pearce after we spoke about their Grand Rapids Griffins being ahead 3-0 in the Calder Cup Finals. Since then their opponent, the Syracuse Crunch, has won back-to-back games pulling within 3-2 in the series.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. General – Incoming Student-Athletes Arrive On Campus To Begin Notre Dame Careers
It happens every year; the day that incoming student-athletes arrive at Notre Dame to begin their summer classes. Yesterday, hundreds of student-athletes moved into their dorms, met future classmates and went through a series of meetings and orientation sessions to get them settled into college life. For some, like incoming basketball player Demetrius Jackson, Notre Dame is only seven miles away from his high school. For others, it’s over 2,100 miles away (a 31 hour car ride) from their high school as is the case for Max Redfield, a football student-athlete from Mission Viejo, Calif.
- 2. Football – Eifert, Robinson and Bengals Set To Appear On HBO’s Hard Knocks
According to reports, for the second time in five years the Cincinnati Bengals will appear on HBO’s Hard Knocks television series. One of the best shows on television will once again have some Irish flair as Bengals first-round draft pick, Tyler Eifert and veteran offensive lineman Trevor Robinson may be integral parts to the show.
- 3. Men’s Basketball – Jackson And Beacham Continue Creating Chemistry
After another unblemished record in the Indiana-Kentucky All-Star Game series, Notre Dame men’s basketball freshman, Demetrius Jackson praised the many great ‘wings’ he was able to play with over the past few weeks. One of his favorite parts of the All-Star series was the opportunity he had to play with future teammate, V.J. Beachem.
- 4. Football – Who Will Replace @NDFootball’s Offensive Leadership?
A first-round draft pick (Eifert), a 1,000 yard rusher (Wood), a great slot receiver (Toma). This trio of players, including the loss of veteran offensive lineman will definitely test the leadership on the offensive side of the ball, but have no fear because there are some very capable leaders who are more than ready to step into those roles. The squad will be ready for Temple, being led by a variety of old and new faces.
- 5. General – T-Minus 14 Days Til The ACC Welcomes The Irish
Notre Dame has been a part of the BIG EAST conference since the 1995-96 academic year, and come July 1 they will be moving to the ACC. What is the ACC all about and how did we get to the point of joining the ACC? Aside from the excitement that is abound here at Notre Dame and in the ACC offices, other schools are ecstatic about the inclusion of the Irish.
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
The Notre Dame family loved every second of our time in the BIG EAST, but we are very excited for our new membership with the ACC. We are with President Clinton in saying that it is so hard to say goodbye…
— Bill Clinton (@billclinton) June 15, 2013
Hopefully this isn’t a recruiting violation, but former Irish Icer, Joe Lavin (a member of the Chicago Blackhawks organization), is quite excited for a certain future member of the @ND_Hockey program.
— Joe Lavin (@LavJ6) June 12, 2013
Notre Dame Video Of The Day
Justin Tuck, a 2005 graduate of Notre Dame, welcomed his second son into the world on Father’s Day. His wife Lauran gave birth to Jonah Frederick Tuck on Sunday morning. Jonah weighed in a full 260 pounds lighter than his two-time Super Bowl winning father, tipping the scales at 7.86 pounds.
With Tuck welcoming his second son into the world, I felt he should get some love of the Irish Underground trivia team…
Justin Tuck is Notre Dame’s career record holder in sacks with 24.5, who is second with 22.5?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Lacrosse. David Earl And Team Canada Win FIL World Championships
- W. Swimming. Irish Women's Swimming And Diving Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Soccer. Irish Women's Soccer Camp Session III - Final Day Game Schedule
- Football. Nine Different Irish Football Players Make Watch Lists
- Track. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- Cross Country. Alan Turner Promoted To Irish Track And Field Head Coach Position
- W. Soccer. Roccaro, Naughton Named To U.S. Under-20 Women's World Cup Team
- Football. Joe Schmidt Nominated for AFCA Good Works Team
- M. Tennis. Notre Dame To Host ITA Summer Circuit Event
- Track. Irish Athletes Compete On National Stage
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- #NDFollow the gang at @NDwbb! @MuffetMcGraw @IrishCoachIvey @GoIrishCoachO @BCunninghamND And don't forget to vote for the class video! 39 minutes ago
- RT @NDlacrosse: What is it like 2 b a student-athlete & member of ND Lax program? Check out "ND Lax Experience" Playlist on YouTube https:/… 1 hour ago
- Field turf is being installed at Notre Dame Stadium- let's #HitPlay on @LepLegion's Green Out @Spotify playlist- spoti.fi/1fN1BRL 1 hour ago
- Because it's Tuesday- bit.ly/1jTgXJz #NDFamily 3 hours ago
- In Chicago on Fri? @BengalBouts alum @MikeLeeBoxer is fighting @ UIC Pavilion and we want to see our #NDFamily there! mikeleeboxing.com 4 hours ago