Jun 18, 2013, 10:42 AM EST
Another big dose of football in today’s TIFI. But first, while you’re watching the NBA Finals tonight, put your computer on your lap and go over to TheAHL.com tonight at 7 p.m. (ET) and watch former @ND_Hockey student-athletes Riley Sheahan and Jordan Pearce try to bring home the Grand Rapids Griffins first Calder Cup.
Monday’s trivia question was one that could change this football season with junior Stephon Tuitt at 14.5 career sacks (Justin Tuck is Notre Dame’s career record holder in sacks with 24.5, who is second with 22.5?). Thank goodness we received a correct answer yesterday, congrats to @Mayhem75 for the correct guess of Kory Minor. Minor’s 22.5 sacks is second on the all-time list, with Victory Abiamiri checking in third at 20.5.
As we still are in the process of collecting prizes for correct answers, I gave @Mayhem75 the honor of providing a topic for a trivia question, and his question will be unveiled later this week (requires me to research something, not just know the answer off the top of my head).
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – History Lesson, The Four Horsemen (Must Read!)
This is a MUST READ ALERT, the first of its kind! We all know about the outline, the colored skies and the names of the four men who rode atop equines, but this piece from UHND.com really takes you into ‘The Four Horsemen’ and how they came to be. If you have a few minutes at work, at home, on the golf course or before work (for our western friends) take 10 minutes and read this, you’ll be glad (and more intelligent) you did.
- 2. Football – Steele Names @NDFootball Defensive Line Tops In Nation
Unfortunately, Phil Steele’s ESPN piece about top-15 defensive lines is behind a pay wall, but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about it or give you a little sneak peak. With the return of Tuitt, Louis Nix, Sheldon Day and others, the Irish D-Line looks poised for another year of dominating the line of scrimmage. That is why Steele ranks the Irish front the top D-Line in the country. Here is his rationale (according to NBC’s Keith Arnold):
“The Irish had a top-notch defense last year and it was spearheaded by their front seven, as the defensive backs were inexperienced. This year they have five of their top six D-linemen back in South Bend. Notre Dame has two of my top 15 projected first-round picks in their three-man line with 6-foot-6, 322-pound defensive end Stephon Tuitt, a first-team All-American last year with 12 sacks, and 6-3, 357-pound defensive tackle Louis Nix III, who earned third-team All-American honors last year and is the top DT in the country.”
- 3. Football – Daddy Does Care
Unlike Austin Powers’ daddy, Mike Golic Jr’s dad does care about his offspring’s well-being. Mike Golic, host of ESPN Radio’s Mike and Mike show and former @NDFootball player, helped his son, Mike Jr. through the decision of what team to sign with in the NFL and why. Steelers.com does a great job of outlining reasons for an offensive lineman to play in the ‘Steel City’ and what reasons went into Golic’s decision.
- 4. Football – Previewing The Sun Devils
We are only 70-some days away from the kickoff to the 2013 football season and I couldn’t be more excited. This year we will see some teams that some Notre Dame fans are accustomed to seeing, including the Arizona State Sun Devils. Yeah, we have seen their coach before (Tulsa, Pitt), but not in his current position at ASU. OneFootDown.com conducts an early preview on the Arizona State Sun Devils.
- 5. Fencing – Trio of Current/Former Irish Fencers Take Home Gold
The fencing program at Notre Dame is one of the more storied at the University, claiming eight national titles. At the Pan American Zone Championship that has been taking place over the past few days, a collection of past and present Irish fencers have been bringing home the hardware. On the first day it was 19-year old sophomore to be, Lee Kiefer notching her fourth-straight title in women’s foil. On Monday, two-time Olympic gold medalist Mariel Zagunis won her fifth sabre gold in the event while Gerek Meinhardt took home the men’s gold in epee. What a great showing at this event for past and current Irish fencers.
— Mariel Zagunis (@marielzagunis) June 17, 2013
Tonight I became Pan American Champion for the 5th year in a row! Congrats to Gerek Meinhardt for winning mens… http://t.co/dSTwEssRsa
— Mariel Zagunis (@marielzagunis) June 18, 2013
If you have more time to kill at work, read these other great articles:
Tweets to which I would have responded with ‘Haha’ …
Probably the most underrated twitter follow in the entire @FightingIrish family is men’s golf coach Jim Kubinski. Here is just a taste of his awesomeness with 140-characters or less…
They exist! For those using too much mayo or old bread, beware! pic.twitter.com/kZemNXTNdR
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 15, 2013
Best thing about holding down Blackhawks? Not hearing that ridiculous song when they score! Bush league. Act like you’ve done it before.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 16, 2013
Watching US Open & happened to look over at my daughter’s Barbies. Looked at Ken doll. Looked at Adam Scott. Looked at Ken doll again.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 14, 2013
I just realized that I hit several shots each round exactly as Tiger does. All my tap ins are a mirror image.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 14, 2013
Former Notre Dame student-athlete makes his PGA Tour Canada debut this week, he will probably play better if his Blackhawks can take a few from Coach Kubinski’s Bruins! I question how that relationship would be right now with their Coach and players two favorite teams battling in the Stanley Cup Finals.
— Jim Kubinski (@NDcoachKubinski) June 18, 2013
— Milestone Sports (@MilestoneGolf) June 17, 2013
Who knew you could just slow down a TV feed, add in some Bonnie Tyler and create such an awesome video. Bravo YouTube guy, Bravo.
With the possibility of the NBA Finals wrapping up tonight, I thought we should try to stump you with a question about the NBA…
Who was the last Notre Dame men’s basketball player to see playing time in the NBA Finals?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Soccer. Patrick Hodan And Luke Mishu Named Academic All-Americans
- W. Basketball. IRISH EXTRA: Women's Hoops Learning It's a Marathon, Not a Sprint
- W. Volleyball. Irish Welcome ACC Foe Pitt For Senior Day Friday Afternoon
- W. Basketball. Inside The Game: #2/1 Notre Dame 112, Quinnipiac 52
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. #2/1 Irish Breeze Past Quinnipiac, 112-52
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame-Chicago State Men's Basketball Game Moved To 1:00 pm(ET) Start Time On Saturday
- M. Basketball. Irish Return Home To Face Grambling State
- Football. Brian Kelly USC Preview Press Conference Transcript
- Football. Notre Dame Vs. USC Game Notes
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- The Shillelagh Tournament is coming to Notre Dame this weekend! Get your @NDTix for this weekend's @NDHockey games- bit.ly/2014NDHockey 14 minutes ago
- RT @NDJackNolan: .@NDmbb on floor for walk-through for 7pm game with Grambling State. @jordancornette joins me at 6:40 pm for pregame. http… 3 hours ago
- RT @NCAA: Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Stanford to share AFCA's 2014 Academic Achievement Award: bit.ly/afca1126 http://t.co/Rn… 3 hours ago
- Don't forget, this week's #NDFBClassics, presented by @Tire_Rack, will be FRIDAY at 12pm ET. Join us for @NDFootball vs USC 1995! 3 hours ago
- Look around our @Spotify profile and pick the music for your holiday weekend- spoti.fi/XZSwze #HitPlay 4 hours ago