Jul 17, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
A Notre Dame student-athlete will be honored at the ESPY’s tonight, some women’s basketball players take to the floor for WNBA games tonight and a trio of Irish men’s basketball players continue their quest to gain a roster spot on an NBA squad. All this and more to follow!
We have a string of Notre Dame baseball trivia questions due to the MLB All-Star Game. Yesterday’s question was simple, who was the last Notre Dame baseball player to participate in the MLB’s Midsummer Classic (All-Star Game)?
The answer: Brad Lidge in 2008. Big ups to @JFlyntnd518 for being the first to correctly answer the question!
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Women’s Soccer – Incoming Freshman To Be Honored At ESPY’s (LINK-UND.com)
Incoming women’s soccer student-athlete Morgan Andrews took home the Gatorade National Player of the Year award last night and will have the opportunity to go to ESPN’s award show, the ESPY’s. The award is presented annually to one male and one female high school athlete. Men’s basketball player (and Kansas recruit) Andrew Wiggins took home the men’s award. Andrews is the nation’s No. 1-ranked high school player in the Class of 2013 and was a three-time Gatorade New Hampshire High School Player of the Year, as well as the 2012 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) High School Player of the Year. What’s more, she was a three-time NSCAA Youth All-America selection and a two-time NSCAA High School All-America choice after piling up 114 goals and 53 assists (both school and conference records) during her four-year career at Milford High School.
- 2. Football – Tight End University (LINK-WNDU.com)
With the departure of Mackey Award winner Tyler Eifert, Ben Koyack and Troy Niklas look to make a name for themselves on the offensive side of the ball, more specifically at the tight end position. Combining for 10 catches last season, the duo looks to combine for at least 50 this season to make up for Eifert’s lost production.
- 3. Football – Good Thing We Schedule Cupcakes…NOT (LINK-UHND.com)
The guys at UHND.com took a preliminary look at the 2013 schedule to see how it matches up with the rest of the country. Some of the best teams in the land will play the Irish this year at Notre Dame Stadium as the Irish welcome USC, Oklahoma and Michigan State while the Irish will travel to the western seaboard to play Rose Bowl Champions Stanford.
- 4. General – Susan McGonigal Fund
In cooperation with the University of Notre Dame Development Office, the Notre Dame Athletics Media Relations office is trying to dedicate Susan inside and outside of Notre Dame Stadium to honor her work and outreach for the University. In just three months, Athletics Media Relations Director Bernadette Cafarelli has raised almost half the funds needed for the memorial. Here is a great story we had recently brought you about just one instance where Susan touched someone’s life.
- 5. Football – Air Force & USC Players To Watch (AIR FORCE-ESPN.com) (USC-ESPN.com )
Matt Fortuna is ready for football action to start this year as he is rolling through his ‘Players To Watch’ feature on each Notre Dame opponent for next season. Two of the most intriguing games this year pit the Irish against the Air Force Academy’s ground attack and the aerial assault of the Trojans of USC.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Men’s Tennis Handed To Sachire (Vindy.com) – Men’s tennis coach Ryan Sachire’s hometown paper looks into his new job as the head man for the Irish racqueteers…
Tweets That Made Me Chuckle…
So if you need someone to live with in the Muncie, Ind., area I hope you room with Brandon. For his sake…
I put an ad out on Craigslist for a roommate so I may only have a few more months to live…
— Brandon J. Newman (@iRJerrell99) July 17, 2013
Yeah, women’s basketball players get pumped about beating Coach Ivey’s son Jaden in NBA video games…
— Jewell B Loyd (@jloyd32) July 16, 2013
Notre Dame graduate, Regis Philbin ’53, tries out the new Google Glass product. Hilarity ensues…
Morgan Andrews gets her first trivia question before ever playing a game at Notre Dame…
Morgan Andrews took home the Gatorade National Player of the Year Award last night, who is the only other Irish student-athlete to win the award?
You will find the answer in Thursday’s ‘Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)’
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Hockey Announces 2014-15 Schedule
- W. Rowing. Irish Rowers Win Two Gold Medals At World Under 23 Championships
- Football. Irish Will Open Training Camp At Culver Academies
- M. Golf. Three Irish Golfers Named Cleveland Golf/Srixon All-America Scholars
- M. Soccer. Irish In The Pros Update
- W. Basketball. From The Hardwood: One Amazing Week For Irish
- Track. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- Cross Country. New Head Coach, Familiar Face
- W. Rowing. Notre Dame Rowing To Host Indoor Clinics On Aug. 17 And Nov. 23
- Baseball. Irish Baseball Announces Eight-Member Freshman Class
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- Help @NDTheLeprechaun & @Cuse's Otto challenge @JimmyFallon to a Lip Sync Battle on @FallonTonight. Tweet your support with #ACCvsFallon 1 hour ago
- DYK @NDTheLeprechaun & @Cuse's Otto challenged @JimmyFallon to a Lip Sync Battle? Tweet at @FallonTonight to make it happen #ACCvsFallon 3 hours ago
- RT @NDHockey: Here it is everyone the 2014-15 @NDHockey season schedule! und.com/sports/m-hocke… 3 hours ago
- Would YOU like to see @NDTheLeprechaun & @Cuse's Otto take on @jimmyfallon & the Panda in NYC? @FallonTonight #LipSyncBattle #ACCvsFallon 5 hours ago
- We know who we'd take if @jimmyfallon & the Panda threw down in a Lip Sync battle vs @NDTheLeprechaun & @Cuse's Otto #TeamACC #FallonTonight 6 hours ago