Aug 28, 2013, 9:06 AM EST
We are just 34 hours away from the first college football action of the new year. My Indiana Hoosiers begin their season tomorrow night along with a bevy of other squads before the full slate of games happen on Saturday.
Remember to keep up with A Month of Notre Dame: Counting Down To Football … this piece gives you something to either do that is Notre Dame centric or watch a former Irish student-athlete playing in a national/international tournament or league. Today, the Colorado Women’s Golf Open was set to begin with former Notre Dame women’s golf alum Becca Huffer in the field. The tournament was actually moved to next week due to LPGA Tour qualifying. Huffer is also entered in that event, firing an opening-round 72 in the four-day event. You can follow along in her second round here. She needs to be in the top-100 after 72 holes to move on to Stage 2 of LPGA Tour Qualifying that is taking place in October.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Kory Minor’s 2013 Football Preview (Strong & True)
- Irish Blogger Gathering: First Edition (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Go On Back (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Mike McNeill ’88 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Steve Sollmann ’04 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Sara Liebscher ’91, MBA ’93 (Irish UNDerground)
- On The Field With Flutie – Looking At The 2013 Irish (Strong & True)
- Coming Home To The Dome: George West ’09 (Irish UNDerground)
- Coming Home To The Dome: Kevin Deeth ’10 (Irish UNDerground)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Tuesday’s trivia question (Coach Kelly has led his team to an undefeated regular season in two of the last four years. There are only two other coaches in FBS that can claim that feat, name them.) was answered correctly by one person, Ross Goetz. The answer was Gary Patterson and Urban Meyer.
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have begun to accumulate prizes so we can give them away for correct answers as we inch closer to the beginning of the school year, but until then “shout outs” will have to do. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Kory Minor Previews The 2013 Football Season (LINK-Strong & True)
Former Notre Dame football player Kory Minor took time out of his busy schedule to preview the Notre Dame football season in a way that only few can. A four-year started along the Irish front seven, Minor was the last freshman to start a season-opener in the linebacking corps. This is a must-read story from Minor. Click the link above to read more.
- 2. Football - Smith Set To Accomplish Firsts (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
Jaylon Smith is set to be the first freshman to start at linebacker since Kory Minor accomplished that feat in 1995. Check out who Jaylon Smith is, where he came from and what we can expect from him this season by clicking the link above.
- 3. Football - One Position Still Up For Grabs (LINK-Chicago Sun-Times)
With many of of the starters for the 20-some positions penciled in for this Saturday’s opener against the Owls of Temple, a few are still up for grabs. The tackle position still sees Ronnie Stanley and Steve Elmer battle to see who gets the nod this week and the safety position opposite Matthias Farley has still not been settled. Look for Austin Collinsworth or Elijah Shumate to get the start at that safety position. Click the link above to learn more.
- 4. Football - Jones Looks To Spark Return Game (LINK-ESPN.com)
Senior captain T.J. Jones has put it upon himself to help the Irish in their mediocre punt-return game this season. In the past, a fair catch was a solid play when the opposing team punted, minimizing risk and getting the offense on the field securely. Jones looks to change that this season. Click the link above to read more from ESPN.com’s Matt Fortuna.
- 5. Football – Want All The Information? (LINK-UND.com)
At the link above you will find all the information you need for this Saturday’s football contest between the Irish and the Temple Owls. Known as media notes, the pdf is a great piece of information on what to watch for, player and coach milestones and any other important information that is needed to follow along with the football game. Click the link above to read more.
Top-25 Notre Dame Football Players: #6 T.J. Jones (UHND.com) – The guys at UHND.com continue their top-25 countdown of Notre Dame football players.
1913: The Program Changer (UND.com) – This is the first feature story that will be seen in this weekend’s football game program.
I’m very glad they could do that math (I however did not check to see if it were accurate)…
We just got .00035 million followers! To put it in perspective thats about the size of Finding Nemos family before it was eaten by barracuda
— FAB5 ND Tennis (@NDFabFive) August 28, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
This better getter you pumped for tomorrow night when college football kicks off … if it doesn’t I don’t know what will.
Today’s trivia question is a random football question…
Who was the last Notre Dame kicker to hit a game-winning field goal as time expired and who was it against?
You will find the answer in Wednesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if the question is answered correctly… I’ll even give away a prize to the first person with the correct answer.
- M. Ice Hockey. Vince Hinostroza Added To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish To Battle The Bison On Wednesday
- M. Lacrosse. Jim Marlatt And Stephen O'Hara To Captain The Irish
- W. Volleyball. Houser Earns AVCA East Coast All-Region Honors
- M. Swimming. Stephens, Coumos Named ACC Weekly Award Winners
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Face #7 Lobos In First College Cup Appearance
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Rolls Past Bryant, 70-59
- Softball. Softball Accepting Registration For January 19 Clinic
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDmbb: INSTAGRAM'ING THE STARTERS - Irish vs. Bison - #AllWhiteEverything instagram.com/p/hzPhuOwiTN/ 31 minutes ago
- Good luck to @NDmbb in their game with North Dakota State! Tune in on @ESPNU #GoIrish ow.ly/i/3ZCTP 51 minutes ago
- RT @NDmbb: 2 of our main men, Father Pete and Jordan Cornette #NDmbbFamily instagram.com/p/hzMdT2Qie1/ 1 hour ago
- 30 mins until ndmbb vs North Dakota State on ESPNU #GoIrish instagram.com/p/hzLk6uyKvu/ 1 hour ago
- We're ready for leplegion to get loud at tonight's ndmbb game! If you're at home, tune in on espnu… instagram.com/p/hzLUQISKvS/ 1 hour ago