Sep 9, 2013, 10:09 AM EST
It was a crazy weekend for Notre Dame athletics as the football squad lost “under the lights” to the Michigan Wolverines, the Irish volleyball squad almost upset #22 Purdue, Matt Besler and the United States Men’s National Team fell to Costa Rica and a former women’s golfer took home her state’s top crown.
To begin, former Irish women’s golfer Becca Huffer put together a brilliant final-round 68 on the final day of the Colorado Women’s Open last Friday. Her 68 put her in a tie for the top spot at the end of the Open. Entering a playoff with one other competitor, Huffer parred the opening playoff hole to win the Colorado Women’s Open for the second time and take home the $11,000 top prize. To read more on the tournament, click here.
‘Round the Irish Blogosphere
We have had a inordinate amount of original content going out on the blogosphere this week – catch up with the links below.
- Finding An Identity (Strong & True)
- Five Foot Nothing: Misery Without Company (Strong & True)
- @NDSportsBlogger Postgame Thoughts – Michigan (Strong & True)
- Irish In The NFL (Strong & True)
Yesterday’s Trivia Answer
Friday’s trivia question (In the 2008 contest against Michigan, receiver Golden Tate caught four balls for 127 yards and a touchdown. The big question is, Tate caught a 48-yard touchdown pass in that contest. Before that catch, who was the last player with a 48-yard or longer touchdown catch for the Irish, who threw the pass and what team were the Irish playing?) was a three-parter. The answer was a 51-yard touchdown hookup from Brady Quinn to Jeff Samardzija in a 39-17 win over Air Force on Nov. 11, 2006. The winner of “Upper Deck’s Trading Card Thursday” will be announced on Thursday’s edition
Remember, each day a new Notre Dame-related trivia question will be found at the bottom of “Things I Found Interesting” … we have accumulated some prizes and have begun to give them away a few times a week. To answer the question, simply tweet at @NDSportsBlogger with the correct (or incorrect) answer … don’t worry; I’ll let you know if you are right.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Football – Thanking Michigan (Strong & True)
Our student beat writer, Craig Chval, has a unique take on the Michigan-Notre Dame series. Click the link above to read more, you won’t be disappointed. (FYI: this piece was written prior to Saturday’s game)
- 2. Football - @NDSportsBlogger’s Postgame Thoughts – Michigan (LINK-Strong & True)
Coming into Saturday’s game with the Wolverines, the Irish had won 13-consecutive regular season games and Michigan head coach Brady Hoke had not lost in Michigan Stadium as head coach of the Wolverines (15-0). Something had to give and unfortunately for those who read this blog, Saturday’s game did not end like we would have liked. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Men’s Soccer - Irish Tie Top-Ranked Tar Heels In ACC Opener (LINK-UND.com)
Just when it appeared the Notre Dame men’s soccer team might enter Atlantic Coast Conference play on the wrong end of the result with No. 1 North Carolina, senior forward Leon Brown deposited the equalizer in the 79th minute and the two teams ended deadlocked, 1-1, following two overtime periods Sunday afternoon at Alumni Stadium. To read more, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Soccer - #8 Irish Back On Track With 4-0 Win Over Detroit (LINK-UND.com)
Freshman midfielder Morgan Andrews had two goals and an assist as the eighth-ranked Fighting Irish scored four goals for the fourth time in five matches this year, rolling to a clinical 4-0 victory over Horizon League preseason favorite Detroit on Sunday night at Alumni Stadium. To read more, click the link above.
- 5. Football – Shamrock Stickers – Michigan (LINK-UHND.com)
Albeit the Irish lost to the Wolverines on Saturday night, there were still bright spots coming from the Notre Dame football team. Click the link above to see who the guys at UHND gave their Shamrock Stickers to.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
Men’s Golf At Gopher Invite (UND.com) – The Irish youth movement on the men’s golf team is progressing rather nicely for head coach Jim Kubinski, click the link above to read about their early-season accomplishments at the Gopher Invite.
That’s just scary …
It’s like a combo of Bane from ‘Batman’ and Darth Vader. Outstanding look for a linebacker. pic.twitter.com/qVt3gGouBp
— Matt Cashore (@mattcashore) September 9, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video of the Day:
This doesn’t have much to do with the Irish, but there was a weather delay at Michigan State and they had to call in the basketball coach to get the students to leave their seats. Then he kept good on his promise …
Who was the last Notre Dame signal caller to begin the season with a pair of 300-yard passing games?
You will find the answer in Tuesday’s “Things I Found Interesting (And So Should You)” … if it is answered correctly.
- M. Ice Hockey. Vince Hinostroza Added To Preliminary USA Roster For 2014 IIHF World Junior Championships
- M. Basketball. Fighting Irish To Battle The Bison On Wednesday
- M. Lacrosse. Jim Marlatt And Stephen O'Hara To Captain The Irish
- W. Volleyball. Houser Earns AVCA East Coast All-Region Honors
- M. Swimming. Stephens, Coumos Named ACC Weekly Award Winners
- M. Soccer. #3 Irish Face #7 Lobos In First College Cup Appearance
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Bryant - Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame Rolls Past Bryant, 70-59
- Softball. Softball Accepting Registration For January 19 Clinic
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDTheLeprechaun: Happy holidays #NDFamily http://t.co/6Igv3RVwc6 31 minutes ago
- Morning Irish Headlines pt2 - @NDVolleyball Houser Earns AVCA East Coast All-Region Honors bit.ly/1goXXPY #GoIrish 40 minutes ago
- Morning Irish Headlines pt1 - @NDmbb vs NDState bit.ly/1iWuDCy - @NDMenSoccer College Cup bit.ly/18CFUB4 ... 41 minutes ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: Last day to vote for Senior Harry Shipp for the @HermannTrophy! If you haven't voted yet, here's the link: http://t.co/Y5… 1 hour ago
- .@PinstripeBowl Trophy Tour Schedule cont. 6:30pm- Purcell Pavilion for @NDmbb vs North Dakota St 8:30pm- Brother's Bar & Grill #GoIrish 1 hour ago