Oct 14, 2013, 10:51 AM EDT
A crazy weekend for Notre Dame athletics was just completed as the football squad was on a bye week, the hockey team played a home and home series against former CCHA-foe Western Michigan, the women’s soccer squad continued their torrid ACC schedule on the road against another ranked team, the men’s soccer team traveled once again in ACC play, the women’s volleyball team had a season-turning weekend and the Dennis Stark Relays were held at Rolfs in Notre Dame, Ind.
Now, what did we miss…
- 1. Hockey – Shutouts Galore (LINK-UND.com)
For the second time in two nights, Notre Dame senior goaltender Steven Summerhays made 22 saves as the Irish blanked Western Michigan, this time by a 3-0 score, in front of a sellout crowd of 4,114 at Lawson Arena on Saturday night. The back-to-back shutouts in the season-opening weekend mark the first time in the 46-year history of the program that the Irish have started the season with two consecutive whitewashings. To read more click the link above.
- 2. Men’s Soccer - Irish Remain Unbeaten (LINK-UND.com)
It was better late than never for the Notre Dame men’s soccer team as a goal from senior forward Harrison Shipp in the 90th minute gave the second-ranked Fighting Irish a 1-0 win over Virginia Tech on Friday evening in Atlantic Coast Conference action at Thompson Field. Notre Dame (7-0-4, 4-0-3) controlled much of the match and produced the win to remain undefeated this season. The Fighting Irish outshot the Hokies 23-13, including 9-1 in shots on goal. The Irish earned 10 corner kicks compared to five for the hosts. Despite the stat sheet discrepancy, the game seemed like it was heading to overtime as both teams approached the 90th minute scoreless. To read more, click the link above.
- 3. Swimming – Irish Strong At Dennis Stark Relays (LINK-CollegeSwimming.com)
The Irish swimming program welcome a trio of solid programs to campus last week for another swimming of the Dennis Stark Relays. To see how the Irish finished, click the link above.
- 4. Women’s Soccer - #9 Irish Topped by #12 Virginia Tech (LINK-Times Dispatch)
After losing to top-ranked Virginia in overtime on Thursday night, the Irish women’s soccer team continued their road trip to Blacksburg, Va., to take on the 12th-ranked Hokies. In a hard fought match, the Irish were not able to net a goal. Click the link above to learn more.
- 5. Hockey – Two-Minute Power Play With Steven Fogarty (LINK-Irish UNDerground)
Anna Gonzalez took the time to sit down with Irish student-athlete and hockey player Steven Fogarty to go over some off the wall questions for him to answer. Click the link above to read more.
If you have more time to kill at work, read this other great article:
… And I Bring The Losses (Unless You Are Women’s Hoops) – Yesterday, Notre Dame’s manager of social media, Christianne Harder, talked about how where she went, success followed (you can read that here). Today, I give you the story of the@NDSportsBlogger. I fully expect to be fired by days end (and hired by Coach McGraw). Enjoy…
OU/ND Gigapixel Photo – A 360-degree photo was taken prior to the start of the ND/OU football game, click the link to find yourself or look at random people making funny faces on account of them not knowing what is going on.
Never fall asleep where people can see you … best advice my dad ever gave me other than “don’t spit into the wind…”
Caught Boss sleeping during our 2 hour delay! pic.twitter.com/mBSLpXAqNl
— ND Men’s Soccer (@NDMenSoccer) October 12, 2013
Notre Dame-ish Video Of The Day
It’s USC week! Let’s begin by reliving last year’s victory.
It’s USC week…
When was the last time there was rain at Notre Dame Stadium during a Notre Dame-USC game that the Irish won and who was the coach?
To answer the question, send me an email (AHorvat3@ND.edu) or talk to me on twitter @NDSportsBlogger. You can find the correct answer to the question in Tuesday’s edition of “Things I Found Interesting.”
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Ride Four-Goal First Period To A 6-3 Win Over Niagara University
- W. Volleyball. Irish Can't Finish Off First Set; Fall To VT, 3-0, Friday Night
- M. Soccer. Fighting Irish Know How To Stay Fit And Focused
- M. Golf. Irish Compete At Bridgestone Golf Collegiate To Cap Fall Schedule
- W. Golf. Armstrong Leads Irish Women's Golf To Fifth Place After First Round At Landfall Tradition
- M. Soccer. #1 Irish Play Host To Hokies On Saturday
- W. Soccer. Pitch Points: Olmsted's Emergence, TDS 100, ACC Tourney And More
- W. Soccer. #9/7 Irish Scrap To Hard-Fought 1-0 Home Win Over #20 Clemson
- W. Volleyball. Volleyball Travels To "The Mother Of States" For Two ACC Matches
- M. Soccer. Patrick Wall Named A Finalist For Senior CLASS Award
Fighting Irish on YouTube
- RT @NDMenSoccer: GAME DAY!!! #ComeByAlumni as Irish host the Hokies of Virginia Tech for Senior Night! #NDvsVT ntrda.me/1uUMDh1 http:… 51 minutes ago
- New piece from @NDFIDM, showing you the week leading up to the @NDFootball vs FSU game- ntrda.me/1FMZSJ6 #StudentAthleteIrish 3 hours ago
- Highlights from @NDHockey's 6-3 win over Niagara- ntrda.me/1rtNbrZ Game 2 is tonight at 7:05 pm ET at @NDCFIA #GoIrish 4 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt4 - @NDwomensGolf at the Landfall Traditional (Day 2) #GoIrish 4 hours ago
- Irish Sports Sched pt3 Away - @NDVolleyball at Virginia, 7pm ET - @NDmensGolf at the Bridgestone Invite (Day 2) ... 4 hours ago