Nov 1, 2013, 10:34 PM EST
Leaves are changing, temperatures are dropping and the “permacloud” is making it’s way to Michiana. November is here, and that means so are the mustaches. Last year, Notre Dame hockey started their Movember movement–also known as No-Shave November–to raise awareness for prostate and testicular cancer. This year, they’re at it again.
Stephen Johns, the senior defenseman from Wampum, Pa., brought the movement to Notre Dame as a way to not only raise money for cancer research, but also benefit the team.
“One of my friends plays out east, and his team did it, so I caught wind of it,” Johns said. “We all know people who suffer from cancer and I thought it was a great opportunity to put Notre Dame hockey in a good spotlight. I thought it was a good team bonding thing, too. It’s just kind of a funny thing, just growing out mustaches. But all the guys come together to do something, and it builds team morale.”
Because last year was the inaugural year, there was no real fundraising goal. “We just wanted to raise as much as possible,” stated Johns. “We started kind of late and didn’t get everything together until the middle of the month, but we raised around $3,000 or $4,000 last year.”
This year, the goal is simple: beat last year. Johns said that fake mustaches will be sold at hockey games for $2 each (these are mostly necessary for us, ladies), and there will be silent auctions, team dinners and tours of Compton Family Ice Arena with the student-athletes in an effort to raise the money.
Since the team isn’t usually allowed to have facial hair, playoff beards and Movember mustaches are a big deal. Whether yours looks like the Charlie Chaplin, Tom Selleck, Salvador Dali or a humble Clark Gable, it’s the month for mustaches. So sport yours proudly and always remember that philanthropy is manly.
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- M. Basketball. Notre Dame vs. Delaware Men's Basketball Postgame Notes
- M. Basketball. Grant Scores 25 as Notre Dame Edges Delaware, 80-75
- W. Basketball. Notre Dame Women's Basketball Postgame Quotes
- W. Basketball. Cable Leads No. 4 Irish Past UCLA, 90-48
- Football. Notre Dame Accepts Invitation to 4th New Era Pinstripe Bowl
- M. Ice Hockey. Irish Use Three Power-Play Goals To Defeat Massachusetts 5-3
- W. Swimming. Irish Impress On Day One Of Hawkeye Invitational
- M. Swimming. Irish Set Three Records, Hold Lead After Day One Of Hawkeye Invitational
- Track. Notre Dame Starts the Season Strong At Blue & Gold Invitational
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDMenSoccer: It's official: we're playing New Mexico in the College Cup semifinals Friday (12/13) 5 hours ago
- RT @NDcoachSachire: So happy for @NDMenSoccer! Advancing to the Final 4. Bring the trophy home. #collegecup #NDFamily 5 hours ago
- RT @NDwomensGolf: Congrats @NDMenSoccer ! Way to go! #winitall 5 hours ago
- RT @NDMenSoccer: We will play winner of Washington/New Mexico game. Washington is coached by Jamie Clark, HC Bobby Clark's son. 6 hours ago
- RT @NDCoachWaldrum: Huge shoutout to Coach Clark and @NDMenSoccer as they make it to the College Cup! Win it all Irish!! #nattychamps 6 hours ago