Nov 30, 2013, 12:48 AM EDT
With little time to rest after Thanksgiving feasts and Black Friday shopping, the Notre Dame, Alabama-Huntsville, Northeastern, and Western Michigan hockey teams all met at Comptom Family Ice Arena to kick off the 2013 Shillelagh Tournament. After four teams in one night, the ice on the Lefty Smith rink is ready for a short break.
The tournament, hosted by Notre Dame, kicked off in South Bend at 4:05 on Friday with Northeastern playing Western Michigan. The game between the Broncos and the Huskies ended in a 2-1 overtime win for Northeastern.
Notre Dame and the University of Alabama-Hunstville kicked off only slightly off schedule at 7:45. The first period was goal-heavy and penalty-light. Irish defenseman Andy Ryan scored his first career goal on a power play at 4:08. At 10:19, TJ Tynan scored his third goal of the season. Less than a minute later, defenseman Stephen Johns put the puck in the net as well, giving the Irish a 3-0 lead over the Chargers. With 21 seconds left at the end of the first period, Jeff Vanderlugt of UAH scored to reduced the Irish lead to 3-1. The only penalty of the period was on Alabama-Hunstville’s Graeme Strukoff for hooking.
The second period found the last of both goals and penalties. The first second-period goal, and last goal of the night for the Chargers, came from UAH’s Vanderlugt. Two minutes later, Mario Lucia scored increasing the Irish lead to 4-2. Shortly after Lucia’s goal, a third Notre Dame defensive goal was scored by Robbie Russo with a short-handed Irish team on the ice. The period’s three penalties were all called on Notre Dame: Sam Herr for tripping, David Gerths for high sticking, and Johns for holding. There were no goals or penalties for either team in the third period.
The injury-laden Notre Dame squad found some freshmen on the ice more than usual, several players double-shifting, and required Coach Jackson to shuffle around some positions. Sophomore Sam Herr moved from his normal position as left wing to center, and, more notably, freshman Ben Ostlie moved from defense to right wing. In another switch, due to reasons other than injury, freshman Chad Katunar tended the Notre Dame goal for the entire 60 minutes. Despite rumors of starting goaltender Steven Summerhays sitting out on injury, Coach Jackson reported that the switch was just to give Katunar more experience, and that Summerhays is healthy.
On Saturday night, Notre Dame will play Northeastern at 7:35 to win the shillelagh after Western Michigan and Alabama-Huntsville vie for third place at 4:05. Both games will be streamed on Watch ND and on NBCSports.com.
- Track. Men Finish Day One Of ACCs In Fourth, Women In Tenth
- Softball. #21/22 Irish Make First Appearance At Virginia This Weekend
- W. Golf. Notre Dame Tied For Fifth Following First Day Of ACC Women's Golf Championship
- M. Lacrosse. Fighting Irish Await Tough Test From The Terps
- Fencing. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- W. Swimming. Three NCAA Champions In Three Days: A Landmark Weekend in the History of Notre Dame Athletics
- Softball. Wester Named NFCA Freshman Of The Year Top 25 Finalist
- Football. Football, Uplifting Athletes Bowling Event Set For May 4
- Monogram Club. Monogram Club Welcomes Board of Directors Class of 2017
- Baseball. Irish Score Two In The Ninth To Earn 4-3 Road Win Over Toledo
Fighting Irish on YouTube
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Men's Soccer
Length: 2:20 | August 22, 2013
2013 Season Preview - Notre Dame Women's Soccer
Length: 1:52 | August 19, 2013
Meet The Freshmen, Demetrius Jackson - Notre Dame Men's Basketball
Length: 1:08 | August 1, 2013
Irish In The ACC - Swimming & Diving
Length: 3:09 | July 31, 2013
- RT @NDIrishEyes: It’s time - The top 5 twitter accts in the running for #Tweetmaster are …. @NDFabFive @Mr_JoeyCresta @alouise44 @Yes_Sheeh… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDFabFive: Fab5 has set records for most nominations, most consecutive nominations, least victories, and most ppl sharing a twitter pag… 7 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: Women in 10th after day one of #ACCOTF. Let's go Irish! 7 hours ago
- RT @NDXCTF: ND Men are in fourth place at the ACC Championships after day one. Go Irish! #ACCOTF 7 hours ago
- So do you have @theshirtND yet? #GetYours bit.ly/1lWpjQm 8 hours ago